Author Topic: Test results  (Read 1991 times)

Offline aberry

• Site Member
Test results
« on: August 03, 2009, 05:38:57 PM »
I have just looked at the KC website and scrolling down the results of the DNA testing for cockers I noticed that the Sire of my own dog Henry has tested as 'Affected' !!!!   There is no sign of the Dam having been screened.  I guess the chances of Henry being a Carrier are pretty high ..... he is being tested this autumn.  Will this affect his use as a stud as he is frequently admired by those 'in the know' and as he approaches the age of 18mths I guess I would happily use him as a stud.  Would two 'affected' cockers mean 100% 'affected' pups??? 

Offline aberry

• Site Member
Re: Test results
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 05:54:06 PM »
Test was for PRA. 

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 06:48:13 PM »
I'm afraid if Henry's sire has tested as affected for prcd_PRA, Henry has to be a carrier as all the progeny of affected dogs are at best carriers. There's a possibility he could also be affected himself but only if his Mum is a carrier. This means Henry should only ever be used at stud to bitches who have been DNA tested clear but in reality, few breeders would want to use him unless he's proven himself to be in some way exceptional eg by virtue of his show results (not sure if you show him or not?).

I don't know if you've read our FAQ on using a pet dog at stud but it explains why stud work is really quite difficult and would not necessarily be a good thing for Henry (even without the fact of his PRA status) : http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=3420.0
Jane

Offline milly

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 08:49:37 PM »
I find this link helpful as it shows the possible outcome of differant matings, scroll down to the pictures and it makes it easy to understand. It's from a dacshund site but the principle is the same.

http://www.thescottishdachshundclub.co.uk/PRABreedingStrategies.pdf
Milly

Offline aberry

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 09:13:06 PM »
I have had litters of working cockers in the past from two of our working line and researched well to ensure we got both dogs from reputable breeders - a few of the pups went on to do well in the field though we never sought to work them ourselves.  This was all pre testing days.  Now we have moved onto show cockers and have three within the family. We got Henry with the intention of 'doing it all right'  with appropriate tests and hip-scoring to be done this autumn after our walking holiday. I have got a KC affix and will buy a bitch to suit with 'clear' tests and have managed to narrowed my search down to two potential litters.  It looks though  that I may have to go elsewhere for a mate if Henry is as he is ?? 
I suppose this scenario is inevitable as we move towards screening all dogs.... I was amazed to note the number of cockers as 'carriers' and 'affected' for  PRA from reputable breeders  - do they have to declare the results to people buying puppies even as pets???

Thanks for the info from the Dacshund site - very clear ... and useful !

Offline milly

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 10:07:30 PM »
Morally they should declare the results but I'm sure what systems are in place if any to make them, I'm sure someone more experienced will answer that question. The info should be on the kennel club site but I believe it's not always up to date. I know if I bought another pup I'd check the PRA testing of the sire and dam.

Glad you found the link useful, I found the pictures a big help.
Milly

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 11:13:51 PM »
Morally they should declare the results but I'm sure what systems are in place if any to make them, I'm sure someone more experienced will answer that question.

Good breeders will inform their puppy buyers of their results and most will endorse registrations to prevent future breeding without testing. But there's no way of forcing breeders to divulge results (other than by the current system whereby Optigen automatically submit results to the KC) It's up to puppy buyers to be more pro-active, do more research and ask a lot more questions than many currently do.
Jane

Offline aberry

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 01:14:32 AM »
We are going to move into interesting times ..... as more potential buyers use test results as a deciding factor for purchasing a dog this could mean 'affected' and even 'carriers' will be unsold..... few people will want to purchase a puppy if there is a 'more than likely' risk of suffering from inherited disorders - and those wanting to breed will stick to the 'clears' ....... hope I am not being an pessimist here but am having a few logical thoughts!

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 07:39:19 AM »
I would have thought that a good breeder would have told you about the sire being affected rather than let you find out for yourself...unless he's been tested post your mating in which case you took the risk of buying a pup that's parents weren't health tested :dunno:
helen & jarvis x

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 09:13:44 AM »
We are going to move into interesting times ..... as more potential buyers use test results as a deciding factor for purchasing a dog this could mean 'affected' and even 'carriers' will be unsold..... few people will want to purchase a puppy if there is a 'more than likely' risk of suffering from inherited disorders - and those wanting to breed will stick to the 'clears' ....... hope I am not being an pessimist here but am having a few logical thoughts!

No breeder should be producing affected puppies now - the tests are no longer new so there's no excuse for breeding carriers to carriers & producing affected progeny anymore. There will still be carrier puppies born (from carrier x clear matings) but they are perfectly healthy and will never develop the disease - as long as this is properly explained, I can't see there will be any problems with puppy buyers (it's not been my experience so far anyway). As it is, many, many people are still quite happy to buy from breeders who don't test at all - I'm far more pessimistic about that situation than I am about people not wanting to buy puppies unless they're from clear x clear matings.

Jane