Author Topic: 5 gen pedigree - working or show cockers?  (Read 3881 times)

Offline DTrubs

Re: 5 gen pedigree - working or show cockers?
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2009, 05:47:19 PM »
Thanks so much for all your replies!

The more I look at him now, the more he looks and acts like a working cocker. He has about 10 FT CH in his line, 1 SH CH and 1 IR CH, so I guess the working prevailed in his case. He's also a liver roan which seems to be more common in the working strain. 

I didn't ask about him being a show cocker when I bought him, I just assumed after seeing his parents. It doesn't matter to me as we won't be breeding or showing him, just hoping that he'll make a great family dog (which he is already proving to be  :luv:) I really wanted a working cocker so it's turned out great that we now have one of each as his brother is a show boy through and through!

Offline Carol09

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2009, 12:06:15 AM »
Jay is a 5 generation pedigree as well :luv:  His mum is working cocker and has a host of field champions on her side and Jays dad is Show cocker and again their are show champions on his side as well.  It was very interesting to look at his pedigree bloodlines I must admit.  Jay is a chunky puppy at 6 months old, not fat as I can feel but not see his ribs but he has a heavy coat and a curly top knot.  He definitley resembles his dads side. :luv:

Offline mentalcat

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2009, 12:49:29 AM »
Hiya peeps,

Just wanted to say that there are 'Working Tests',' Field Trials' and indeed there ARE 'Working Trials', as i have competed in them. 

It is extremely doubtful, dare i say it - impossible for a cocker, either show OR worker to attain the Working Trials Champion status, as in order to progress up the stages, they would need to do the 'big dogs' agility section, 3ft hurdle, 9ft long jump and 6ft scale. In the first couple of stakes/stages, the agility section is scaled down for the smaller dogs.

The nosework/tracking and control would be fine and the stays would be ok (possibly!), but even the fittest cocker would have a problem with the jumps, mainly the long jump.

Ali