Author Topic: clicker training  (Read 4482 times)

Offline mofi

Re: clicker training
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2009, 07:41:58 PM »
Sorry I didn't make myself clear in my previous post. 

What I was trying to say... is it best to perfect one action eg. "sit", before you move on to another like "down"?
Lottie 05.07.09
Riley 23.10.10

Offline lauren G

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2009, 08:51:43 PM »
hey everyone thanks for the advice and im glad mofi to see its working for you,gives me more hope  :D please let me know how your getting on though be good to hear how far you getting and visa versa x

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2009, 09:28:00 PM »

What I was trying to say... is it best to perfect one action eg. "sit", before you move on to another like "down"?

Up to you, I usually have a few behaviours on the go at once but usually do an entire session on one specific behaviour when I'm shaping.

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline BarbaraW

• Mum of Dennis, black 'n tan show cocker who dances
    • http://www.myspace.com/dennis_barbara
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2009, 10:45:38 PM »
Dennis is clicker trained to do heelwork to music and canine freestyle.  If I am training a new move I sometimes break it down into smaller movesw and click when he almost gets the move I want the first time then when he repeats the move I don't click until he is nearer the ulimate move I want.  I include my finish word 'good boy' when he gets the move which is usually followed by a treat.  The 'good boy' can then be my substitute clicker in the competition ring when as I can't take the clicker or treats in the ring.

Good luck with the clicker, it is a fab way to train a dog.

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2009, 10:56:59 PM »
Dennis is clicker trained to do heelwork to music and canine freestyle.  If I am training a new move I sometimes break it down into smaller movesw and click when he almost gets the move I want the first time then when he repeats the move I don't click until he is nearer the ulimate move I want.  I include my finish word 'good boy' when he gets the move which is usually followed by a treat.  The 'good boy' can then be my substitute clicker in the competition ring when as I can't take the clicker or treats in the ring.

Good luck with the clicker, it is a fab way to train a dog.
When I watch this type of thing I always assume the trainer has a treat in their hand, I am even more impressed now Barbara ;)
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline mofi

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2009, 09:40:20 AM »
hey everyone thanks for the advice and im glad mofi to see its working for you,gives me more hope  :D please let me know how your getting on though be good to hear how far you getting and visa versa x

Yes it will be good to compare notes.   ;)

How old is your pup?

Lottie 05.07.09
Riley 23.10.10

Offline mofi

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2009, 09:42:45 AM »

Up to you, I usually have a few behaviours on the go at once but usually do an entire session on one specific behaviour when I'm shaping.

Thanks, I have watched some of your videos and am in awe at what you can achieve and would really like to get there myself.  It's just knowing how far to go in one session.  I have bought a couple of books though to help me so hopefully we will both learn together  ;)
Lottie 05.07.09
Riley 23.10.10

Offline lauren G

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2009, 09:56:56 AM »
hi mofi she is 9 weeks now how bout yours?hows ur nights housetraining going etc,i tried some clicker training with her this morning but seemed to hype her up alot :005:

Offline mofi

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2009, 01:44:56 PM »
Aww they are more or less the same age then.   :luv: 

Lottie is in a crate at night and was waking up every 2 hrs to go out so was very tiring but I think we have sussed it now and have moved her crate upstairs and she settled better only waking up once to be let out.  I just have to keep my eyes on her in the day time but I think we are getting there as I have started to use the clicker when she does good.  How are you getting on?

Have you read any clicker books?  Clicker training for dogs by Karen Pryor is very good.

It's funny to see them offer different behaviours so I can understand yours getting hyped up.  :005: I was getting a bit confused as to whether I should concentrate on achieving one command or more but Top Barks has answered that.   :D

Good luck and have fun x
Lottie 05.07.09
Riley 23.10.10

Offline lauren G

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2009, 04:12:27 PM »
thank you and yes you to  :005:

Offline Jessie_Pup

• Donator
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2009, 09:23:51 PM »

I also do freetime with Dylan and Jessie using a clicker.  That is I have a prop like a small step stool or a plastic hoop and wait to see what the dog does. If I like the move the dog makes I will click it. Jessie is especially good at this and it is great fun. I think I have come up with some of my best moves for heelwork like this.

Offline mofi

« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2009, 09:54:13 PM »
That's a really good idea.  I suppose you just have to use your imagination and the world is your oyster.   ;)
Lottie 05.07.09
Riley 23.10.10

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2009, 10:14:09 PM »
I often play a game where i don't click more than once for a behaviour.
so if Douglas offers me a head turn I'll click, but then he offers the same again I just wait until he offers me something else that i can click and so on. i do sessins for about 1 to 2 minutes and try and get as many clicks in as i can.
This is only done with behaviours he already knows though.

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline HeatherFeather

• Mavie
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2009, 12:00:21 AM »
Just wanted to say I'm really enjoying this thread :)

My pup's nearly the same age as Mofi's and Lauren's-Mavie will be 9 weeks on Sunday.
~*~*~*In Puppy Love!!!!*~*~*~

Offline lauren G

« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2009, 08:20:59 AM »
hi heatherfeather im glad to know your enjoying the thread,have you started doing clicker training i tried doing sit yesterday and lady picked it up once she had calmed down :005: