Author Topic: any one feeding Healthy Paws Kibble?  (Read 5746 times)

Offline BarbaraW

• Mum of Dennis, black 'n tan show cocker who dances
    • http://www.myspace.com/dennis_barbara
Re: any one feeding Healthy Paws Kibble?
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2009, 10:46:35 PM »
Dennis has been on Healthy Paws now for around 6 weeks.  He really enjoys it.  His weight has dropped by around half a kilo so I'm well chuffed.  His coat looks to have regained some of its shine which he lost when I had him neutered last year however he still has the odd dry patch although I think these becoming less and he is itching his ears less than before.  He also enjoys the healthy paws fruit treats (only the occasional one as we are still working on his weight).  And getting it on the internet works out a lot cheaper than what I was paying for AG at the pet shop.

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2009, 10:17:37 PM »
I changed Indie from Burn P&P to Arden Grange Salmon and Indie's coat is lovely now, although I do add a teaspoon of salmon oil to her food.

Billy has SOS salmon oil on his food once per day and I think it's absolutely fabulous stuff. It took around 8 weeks for me to see a difference in his coat, and probably around 16weeks for me to see the final result  but wow it's amasing! His coat is so much shinier and is so very very soft, he hardly gets any knots now either  :D

Offline Maria

• Site Member
« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2009, 06:45:31 PM »
I have just ordered a sample of Barking Heads for my two to try - Dennis has an ear problem that won't seem to go so I'm trying to eliminate beet pulp in case it's that  :-\ Currently we use Arden Grange and Naturediet, How does Barking Heads compare price wise with AG ? Roughly how much do they suggest feeding an adult of approx 12kg?

Boysie had a chronic ear infection that wouldn't go away for over a year - in his case it's chicken that caused it - we eliminated chicken based foods (he's now on JWB lamb and veg), and it went away within a week. Just adding this as it could be another thing to consider.

Offline 1sttimecockermum

• Donator
« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2009, 09:02:08 AM »
Boysie had a chronic ear infection that wouldn't go away for over a year - in his case it's chicken that caused it - we eliminated chicken based foods (he's now on JWB lamb and veg), and it went away within a week. Just adding this as it could be another thing to consider.

Thanks for that - I might try the Barking Heads Salmon one just in case-  in contains -  Fresh Scottish Salmon (min 26%), Potato (min 26%), Ground Oats, Dried Salmon, (min 15%), Potato Starch, Rapeseed Oil, Salmon Oil, Minerals, Dried Tomato, Natural Seaweed, Glucosamine, Chondroitin, MSM, Vitamins. hopefuly that is all ok,  I have to say my vet doesn't think it's food related  :-\ just that some dogs are more prone to waxy/ear infections than others  :huh:
Owned by Dennis the Menace and Ruby Dooby Doo

Offline Maria

• Site Member
« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2009, 11:44:43 AM »
I have to say my vet doesn't think it's food related  :-\ just that some dogs are more prone to waxy/ear infections than others  :huh:

My vet said the same - even suggested ear canal surgery - but he'd got to 10 without any ear problems at all  ::) Mind you the same vet didn't think he had a thyroid problem because his hair wasn't falling out, but he does.
Good luck

Offline lindseyp

• Donator
« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2009, 09:10:31 PM »
Really wanted to give Healthy Paws a go with the girls but can't ...... contains chicken oil (Purdey's allergic to chicken  :-\ )
   then thought about Arden Grange/Fresh Salmon & Rice but can't.....contains chicken fat & chicken meal ??  >:(
   then thought about Barking heads but can't.....Purdey allergic to at least one ingredient in each   >:D
   then thought I'd cracked it with Origen  :banana: Bought a trial pack at Discover Dogs.....they lurve it but no .....I find it contains 
   russet potatoes  >:D >:D (Purdeys allergic to that too!!)
   They're on Burns- fish & brown rice at the mo & aren't that interested in it & have to add extras to make it palatable for them 
   ph34r  (& read that it may contain beet pulp  >:( )
   I cook up my own food for them regularly but if anyone knows of an alternative that may be a suitable I'd be most grateful   
If your dog thinks you're the best.....don't seek a second opinion!!