Author Topic: Animal Friends Insurance?  (Read 1707 times)

Offline Guelder Rose

• Donator
Animal Friends Insurance?
« on: October 07, 2009, 05:51:59 PM »
Has anyone used this company to insure their dog?

I currently have the free KC policy for Gracie, but am mindful that I want to get her set up with my choice of policy for the long term.

I have considered Greenbee, Tesco, Sainsbury, etc; however, Animal Friends interests me as all the net profits are donated to animal charities. 

The last time I checked the site I also noticed that the cost of premiums stayed the same regardless of the age of the dog.  I have heard people mention that on renewal some insurance companies raise the monthly premium to a level where it can become unaffordable - and they know you can't go elsewhere once you have made a claim as the condition claimed for would not be covered by another company! 

So, does anyone know anuything about this company?

Offline Guelder Rose

• Donator
Re: Animal Friends Insurance?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 06:03:55 PM »
Just thought I would mention that Greenbee were ruled out - they want £45.96 per month for Grace, whereas AFI want just over £30!

Offline manda

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 12:08:00 PM »
I cancelled my policy with them after they refused to pay for out of hours emergency treatment when my girl was trampled on by a horse on a Saturday afternoon. They wouldn't pay as they said the injuries weren't life threatening, but we didn't know they weren't life threatening until she had seen the vet - she could have had all sorts of terrible internal injuries as she had been kicked as well as trodden on.   Luckily, apart form a nasty scare and some horrible cuts, Pippa was fine but it left me about £300 out of pocket. I cancelled my policy and am now with HSBC who will pay for any out of hours treatment. I guess the lesson is to read the small print carefully!

Offline Guelder Rose

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 05:51:53 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  I know a few of the policies don't pay for out of hours unless the dog's life is in danger - but, as you say, sometimes you don't know if the situation is life threatening or not!

I'll get a quote from HSBC .. I know Greenbee have a good reputation but I really do think £45 per month is excessive! 

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 07:10:20 PM »
We use Animal Friends for all 5 of our dogs....
so far the only time they wouldn't pay out was when we took Buffy and said she had changed her temperament and so they wouldn't pay because they said it was behavioural!
Apart from that, they have been fantastic....
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(