Author Topic: After delivery question.  (Read 2132 times)

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
After delivery question.
« on: November 07, 2009, 10:39:43 AM »
Ok, before I start this is DEFINITELY NOT an ad for my pups, we have more people waiting for pups, than we have pups available.

Ok, one of my girls had an emergency c-section on Thursday, as she was showing a thick green discharge before first pup.  Brought mum and babies home, everything ok, until yesterday, mum went out for a wee and she passed a placenta, is this normal after a c-section?  I always thought everything was cleared out with a section?

My vet isn't open today but there is an emergency number should I need it, so does any body know if this is normal........and yes it was definitely a placenta as I laid it out to check it over  ph34r

Hope this is ok to post, please remove it if not.

Thanks

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
Re: After delivery question.
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 10:54:54 AM »
I don't think so, from the time we arrived till the time we came home was just over an hour, mum was whisked off for her c-section brought round and sent home, so I'm guessing not, surely if they had her open they would be able to see?? and hopefully account for a placenta per pup?

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 01:04:33 PM »
Possibly the green discharge was accounted as one placenta so if they counted they would have say 5 pups with 4 plancenta and 1 green discharge that they may have assumed was a broken placenta. This retained placenta may have been out of view in the rush and so she passed it today instead. I'd just give them a call but I suspect all they'll do is an xray to see if any more are in or possibly a shot of oxytocin. If she appears well, dogs are very good on the whole at expelling contents of uterus so unless she has more unusal discharge or it is or a smelly nature or she looks unwell then I'm sure all will now be out.

Penny had a green discharge on her first pregnancy but she was allowed to deliver normally.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 01:21:22 PM »
Discharge is less today, so I'm hoping that was it.  We've had sections before but the discharge was minimum and never a placenta passed afterwards.  Mum is covered by Anti-biotics for 5 days plus we have to go back on Monday for a post op check up.  She's definitely more settled today too, so all being well everything will settle down now.

Thanks for replying

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 03:16:27 PM »
Don't have any help/advice, but just sending congratulations/best wishes to you, mum & puppies.  :D

Hope mum makes a full recovery and the puppies are all well etc.  :luv:

Crumbs, you are going to be busy over Christmas  ;)

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline sharonmansfield

• Donator
  • Bluebell and Jasmine
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009, 04:44:13 PM »
Sorry no advice as I don't breed but I just wanted to say that I hope mum is ok and recovering from her surgery and I hope the pups are doing well also.
Cocker Spaniels are like chocolates you can never have just one!

Offline bracken

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2009, 09:20:21 PM »
Bless her hope she is doing ok  :luv: I really couldn't see my girls go through all that  :-\ so they are all spayed.

Offline cbabe

• Site Member
    • home of the Fernlow band of cockers!!!
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2009, 11:30:31 PM »
I'm no vet - but considdering the 'horn' nature of the bitch's uterous i would think it possible that a placenta/ part of could be missed during a section. The concern would be with infections. But as she is already on antibiotics she should be fine. Keep an eye on her temperature and general wellbeing untill you can getin contact with youtr vet.

Good luck with your babies
Clare
Fern (HRH) and Willow (lolo)
Bryony, Gypsi, Thorn and Rocky

Sorry if my Post offends you, my cocker spaniel has learnt to type and i can not be held responsible for her attitude problem!

Offline sharonmansfield

• Donator
  • Bluebell and Jasmine
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 06:39:10 PM »
Hello Sharon, I just wondered how mum and pups were? hope all is well lots of love Sharon, Bluebell and Jasmine.
Cocker Spaniels are like chocolates you can never have just one!

Offline kalem

• Limited Member
  • Me and my Gal xx
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2009, 08:56:40 PM »
Hello Sharon, sorry I have no advice  :-\

Hope Mum and pups are all doing well, and Congratulations  :luv: :luv:

"My World is Orange" with a few blonde highlights
To the world my Cocker is just a dog, to me my Cocker is the World

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2009, 10:23:33 PM »
Please can you use the PM system if you want to ask Sharon how the puppies are - I suspect she is rather busy at the moment and anyway, litter chat & updates can only be posted on the Safe Arrivals board ;)

Jane