Author Topic: Chloe is turning into a chunky monkey!! u/d lost half a kilo!  (Read 5030 times)

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
Re: Chloe is turning into a chunky monkey!!
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2009, 10:27:38 PM »
Thanks everyone  :D Well, guess what....I measured her height....she has actually grown an inch since I last measured her! I'm really surprised cos she stayed at 15 inches for ages, and my vet said she was fully grown at 10 month  :o She's obviously had a growth spurt in the last few months, not to  mention a huge change in her coat, she's so fluffy around the legs now, and her coat is much thicker than its ever been (perhaps that explains the extra pounds  :lol2:)

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2009, 11:26:20 PM »
If I'm totally honest I think she could lose a tiny bit of weight - maybe 1/2 a kg - sorry
helen & jarvis x

Offline Mrs K

• Molly Ma Loon
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2009, 11:28:53 PM »
TBH photos can be so difficult to tell  :huh: I posted some of Molly earlier and one of them she looks a bit chubby and if anything she is a bit scrawny  :huh:
She is around 10kg I think, but she is smaller than Chloe (and almost every other worker  :lol: )
The reason dogs have so many friends is because they wag their tails instead of their tongues.

Offline *jean*

• Donator
  • who need s pills when you have pals ?
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2009, 11:45:43 PM »
muscle weighs more than fat dont forget and chloe is one fit dog. waist measurements are the way to go. ( obese dogs lose their waist muscley dogs do not) coras waist is now 16 1/2 inches and shes 15 inches at shoulder. pepper is 16 1/2 inches at shoulder and her waist is 14 inches
Peppers a bit thin at the mo, backbone a bit too prominent when being stroked, so am feeding her up. she needs to be about 15 inches. as cora is smaller Id expect her waist to be at least 15 inches so nearly there, was 23 inches when I got her nearly 8 weeks ago. She looked pregnant.
 pepper is spayed and her weight hasnt gone up nor has liaths who is 14 inches and has a waist of 13 inches.
 have a measure,  ;)  pull tape taut but not tight just in front of hips..

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2009, 12:41:10 AM »
If I'm totally honest I think she could lose a tiny bit of weight - maybe 1/2 a kg - sorry

I have to agree, she doesn't look fat and muscle does weigh more than fat but she doesn't have a lot of definition around her waist although it could be her coat, it can be hard to tell from photos. I do keep my lot on the leaner side of average though and I like to see a really well defined waist. Again it's hard to tell with her coat but she looks like she's carrying a bit of weight towards her back end, around the base of her tail. Rodaidh is about the same height, very fit and muscular and weighs 13.2kg.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2009, 07:21:21 AM »
If you think she is too big now, slimming her down to 13.5kg shouldn't be too difficult as that will only be cutting back very slightly.
My Penny looks her best nearer to 12kg and "fat" the nearer to 13kg and above so I try to weigh her about every 3 mths and keep her around 12.5kg max. At least I know regular weigh ins means she can't get too big.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2009, 07:44:06 AM »
Thanks everyone  :D Well, guess what....I measured her height....she has actually grown an inch since I last measured her! I'm really surprised cos she stayed at 15 inches for ages, and my vet said she was fully grown at 10 month  :o She's obviously had a growth spurt in the last few months, not to  mention a huge change in her coat, she's so fluffy around the legs now, and her coat is much thicker than its ever been (perhaps that explains the extra pounds  :lol2:)

I had Misha clipped a couple of weeks ago as she was a very fluffy girl - is super sleek now with a very defined waist, it made a huge difference  All that fur definitely added to the barrel look.

If you do want her to lose a little, just cut back a bit - I use a tape measure to make sure that we stay where we are at the moment, at around 9kg.  If we go over we cut back slightly for a few weeks.
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline mcphee

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2009, 07:57:15 AM »
Sue, I know Rufus is only 3/4 working, but his half show mummy was tiny.When we went back at 9 months he made her and his sisters look emaciated, even so as the vet says, he is not a large framed cocker.  If you see him next to other cockers, he is fatter than a few, but slim compared to others. He is a tad under 13kg. but cruella thinks he should be nearer 12kg. Since the new regime, he has lost an inch at least from his waist which is now 17 inches(wish I could say the same!), and his chest remains 24. I think he is 15-16 to the shoulder, and 22 long Without measuring, this would not have been obvious, even when wet. His overall weight hasn't changed except by a few grams, so I wonder whether the bulk/muscle distribution changes. He did not fill out til he was atleast 30 months. I am going to ask the vet at his next check up to show me how to judge and feel for fat as I do not think weight alone is very useful. If you compare him to say Milly, who is about Chloe's age I think, he is a  taller, but less stocky in the body ie his legs are making up a greater proportion of his height. I cannot see how leggy Chloe is from the photos, but body must weigh more than leg! Maybe Chloe is meant to be a thicker build? She certainly looks chunkier than some of Rufus's waif like worker friends, but she does not look fat.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2009, 08:03:47 AM »
I don't think any of us that have disagreed with the popular opinion have said that she is fat - just that she is carrying a tiny bit more than we would be comfortable with.

Jarv was carrying about 1/2 a kilo more this year, he's lost that, and he looks much much better.  He is 15 1/2 inches and just under 13 kgs.
helen & jarvis x

Offline BabyB

« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2009, 08:31:45 AM »
Our vet always judges them, not by their weight as such, but if they have a waist (looking down from above, does the waist go in a little) and then he feels over the rib area too.

She looks absolutely lovely Sue, I wouldn't be worried if she were mine  ;)
Mummy loves her angels - but they're not angels all the time - They love to chew and charge about - but mummy doesn't mind

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2009, 09:09:29 AM »
Well, she was certainly the chunkiest worker at the Fife meet. I noticed straight away how much leaner all the others were in comparison  :shades: Anyway, I've just measured her waist and she's 16" (same as her height  :005:) So I'm not overly concerned, but will definitely be keeping an eye on her. (I'm off to dunk her in the pond and take a few pics of her soaking wet  :005: :005:)

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2009, 09:21:26 AM »
Well, she was certainly the chunkiest worker at the Fife meet. I noticed straight away how much leaner all the others were in comparison  :shades: Anyway, I've just measured her waist and she's 16" (same as her height  :005:) So I'm not overly concerned, but will definitely be keeping an eye on her. (I'm off to dunk her in the pond and take a few pics of her soaking wet  :005: :005:)

and I seem to remember you saying how you prefer the 'leaner' working cocker as well on a thread Sue  :shades: :lol2:

it's also funny how vet's opinions differ - mine thinks that at least 70% of all pet dogs are overweight, even if it's only slightly overweight  ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline *jean*

• Donator
  • who need s pills when you have pals ?
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2009, 11:33:02 AM »
Well, she was certainly the chunkiest worker at the Fife meet. I noticed straight away how much leaner all the others were in comparison  :shades: Anyway, I've just measured her waist and she's 16" (same as her height  :005:) So I'm not overly concerned, but will definitely be keeping an eye on her. (I'm off to dunk her in the pond and take a few pics of her soaking wet  :005: :005:)
hmm now Id say  she could lose an inch!! maybe I should be trying coras diet out on myself!!  :005:

Offline *Theresa*

• Donator
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2009, 11:35:11 AM »
It truly is amazing I think how quick they can go from lean to porky almost overnight if you're not careful....Sally fluctuates wildly depending on who is feeding her...Me she is leaner...her dad she fills out...coat does make a heck of a difference too though, at the Edinburgh meet I had her at last June she was a proper hairy bear and looked rather chunky ands I kept telling people she wasn't and then she fell in the water and proved me right  :005: :005:
Theresa, Dave, Glen and Sally (or their aliases Gwendoline and Scallywag)

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2009, 04:24:45 PM »
Right....she's on a diet  ph34r :005:

I have never measured her food, always just put a couple of handfuls or so in her dish, so decided to measure it this morning. I have been feeding more than the recommended amount of kibble   ph34r ph34r. As she also gets either a spoonful of naturediet, or a sardine or raw egg mixed with it, then basically I've been overfeeding her. I feel like a right numpty and a very bad mummy  ph34r :shades: In addition, she's been getting tiny bits of cocktail sausage as training treats, so that will have to go too. Any recommendations for low fat training treats? I've tried using bits of kibble in the past, but whilst she is a slow eater at meal times, anything I give her for training treats gets inhaled and she has almost choked on kibble  :dunno:

Thank you all for your comments; my friends think I'm daft for suggesting she's getting a bit chubby, but I do agree with Nicola and Helen and Jean, and I do actually prefer to see more waist definition. I swear I would rather be told that I myself was putting weight on, than that my dog is...and that's saying something, cos I really can't bear to be a pound overweight  :shades: :005: