Author Topic: Stuck in a vicious cycle...  (Read 4115 times)

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
Re: Stuck in a vicious cycle...
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2010, 10:07:36 AM »
Update.  Having done intensive crate training with Odie for nearly a week, he had behaved for 5 days straight with no accidents.  Unfortunately, things went pear shaped when hubby left him unattended whilst we put the girls to bed.  Came down to poo all over the hallway >:(  Things deteriorated from there when last night I went to answer the phone, Odie covered (I counted 15 separate 'little' presents) the cream carpet in the living room >:D  This morning, left him for 1 min to go to bathroom, and he covered his crate again (even though I'd been in garden twice for 10 mins each not 2 mins previously :'(). 

This pup of mine really isn't helping me like him/bond with him.  It's now been 9.5 weeks of pure (and mucky) hell and I'm really tempted to send him back to the breeder and stick to rodents as pets :-\  OK rant over..... :blink:
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline PennyB

« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2010, 10:31:49 AM »
you may also be passing your stress on to your pup as well - easier said than done I know
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2010, 11:34:32 AM »
That may be so but I'm not in the room nor stressed BEFORE he does it every time, only afterwards!!
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline coralee

• How YOU doin'?
    • Occasionally Obsessed about Nothing
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2010, 02:54:16 PM »
I am so sorry that it hasn't gotten any easier for you -it really must be frustrating.

I do wonder whether it is a more in-bedded problem with Odie? We've had a couple of set-backs, Harvey's SA has peaked again, but his comes out as howling now...so we're having to work on it again.

Along the line, Odie has learned a behaviour of: you leaving = poo - and it sounds as if he's gotten himself in to that "habit" almost - somehow, that behaviour needs to be reversed, and maybe a behaviourist might be the person to turn to now? It's like the SA has led to habitual behaviour...but, as you know, I'm no expert...

I know with the best will in the world, I can't imagine how frustrated you are - try and keep in your head that he's not doing it to upset you...and at times you can look at them and think "you did that on purpose" when it gets really horrid, try and remember that dogs don't know the concept of vindictive behaviour...and you can bet your bottom dollar, if he could stop upsetting you, he would...he just needs to learn how to "undo" the behaviour he's gotten in to.

That may be so but I'm not in the room nor stressed BEFORE he does it every time, only afterwards!!

With regard to this - he could still be picking up on vibes, if he knows you're frustrated when you come back in - it might be triggering his nervousness, and he's pre-empting your mood...keep looking at that list of all the wonderful things he is...and, a couple of months of stress, out of many years of happiness and joy he will give you, is a small price (yes, you can slap me for saying that, but Im certain he will get through this)
To err is human, to forgive is canine.

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2010, 04:01:39 PM »
(yes, you can slap me for saying that, but Im certain he will get through this)

:buttkick:  you're duly slapped (well kicked actually!! :005: :005:).  Thanks for that Coralee.  I know deep in my heart that he can't mean what he does but....  Anyway, came back from school run this pm and NO ACCIDENTS :banana:  As he did have 5 days last week with no accidents too, it makes me more puzzled as to why he sometimes does it?  I really don't want to start with behaviourists just yet.  Will keep at it!  Good luck by the way with your problems, I suppose most dog owners have some sort of problem at some point.  Lesley x

Offline coralee

• How YOU doin'?
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2010, 04:07:48 PM »
hehe!!

And WOOOOHHHOOOO for NOOOO POOOO! today  :lol2:

Offline nickycnc

• Site Member
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2010, 06:47:26 PM »
Sorry to hear things aren't improving.....much. Good luck with the persevering, hopefully things will just click for him one day soon...very soon.
Mum to 2 girls, Darcy & Charley

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2010, 07:53:26 PM »
Thank you ;)  We have had another accident free day today :luv:  In fact it's the best day I've had overall with Odie all the weeks I've had him!  He usually spends the day weeing or pooing all over/attacking me every time I get up/generally being the pup from hell but he has been an angel all day :angel:  It's official, I can almost see light at the end of the tunnel :D

Offline coralee

• How YOU doin'?
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2010, 08:02:02 PM »
Yipppeeeeee!  :banana:

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2010, 08:10:47 PM »
Yeah :banana: :banana: :banana: :cool4: :cool4:

Is your Harvey OK? 

Offline coralee

• How YOU doin'?
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2010, 09:12:49 PM »
Yep - he's OK - and not even blowing bubbles out his bum! (he will put me in an early grave I'm sure of it!!)  >:D

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2010, 10:12:57 PM »
You and me both  :005:

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2010, 10:12:53 PM »
Just a little update on Odie.  We have now had 11 occasions on the trot of leaving Odie in his crate whilst we leave the house AND NO ACCIDENTS :luv: :cool4: :banana: :cool4:  On the first few days I used the DAP spray but not sure if this is what has made the difference or not but long may it last!  He still has the odd accident (when OH is not paying attention :005:) but during the day when I'm in, I make sure Odie is out for his toilet lots of times and no accidents for me for weeks now.  I still get a tiny bit of whining when I need to put him in his crate (doing housework/shower etc) but 80% improvement overall.  I'm hoping I've cracked his behaviour of toileting in his crate every time I leave him alone, fingers and paws crossed ;)

Offline coralee

• How YOU doin'?
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2010, 10:18:27 PM »
You clever bean you - and what a cracker Odie is!!! Well done both of you  :D

Offline Chocolatecoco

• My chocolate baby
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2010, 10:20:01 PM »
Well done to you and your little one  :D