Author Topic: Stuck in a vicious cycle...  (Read 4116 times)

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
Re: Stuck in a vicious cycle...
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2010, 10:21:21 PM »
Oh thats really good news.... well done Odie and well done to you to keep on persevering with him  :D
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2010, 10:24:50 PM »
Thank you Coralee :luv:  Hope things OK with you and Harvey.  :D

Yes, it's been an uphill battle for so long but I can now say that I don't dread coming back home each time wondering what he's been up to in my absence!  I am able to cope better with any odd accident he has now.  A big thank you to everyone who has followed my posts and offered advice/support and encouragement! :luv: ;)
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline harveyroan

• little harvey
« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2010, 02:23:45 PM »
Just been reading through this thread and am feeling much better. Been having a few problems with my little harvey. My harvey isn't so keen on his crate and starts crying and stressing when he first goes in, he's ok after a bit if I'm in the room until you leave it. What I did do that helped was to put him in his crate till he settled and kept leaving the room and going back in and after a bit he stays calm. In the house I usually spot the signs of needing to go out but in his crate its hard to tell if he's stressing because he needs to go out or because he's in his crate. And recently he has started poo'ing on the quiet in his crate which makes it even harder. Well yesterday I thought I'd ditch the crate ( much to the disaproval of my mum ph34r) so he could get to the back door. All good until we had to leave him on his own. He was even worse than in the crate he follows us everywhere so leaving the room was very hard. Last night going to bed was especially difficult but did settle and no mess. The only problem is during the day we just can't leave the room. I've decided to go back to the crate because he does settle in it and we can leave him for an hour or so with no mess. I'm going to kept him out of his crate when we are about though so I can keep my eye on him. My only concern though is he is clingy and never leaves us when we walk from one room to the other I just hope he doesn't develop a problem. I'm glad to hear things are getting better for you.

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2010, 06:23:15 PM »
Yes, it is so much better but Odie still has the odd poo (in or out of the crate) especially when I leave him alone.  I don't dare not use a crate as he bites door frames/kitchen units etc and I can't afford to replace either.  He willingly saunters in and out of the crate during the day and sleeps perfectly at night in it so it just takes lots of time and lots of patience and hopefully he will have full control of his bodily functions and become less clingy with time.  Good luck with your pup Harveyroan! :D
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline harveyroan

• little harvey
« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2010, 09:12:45 AM »
Georgietyke have you tried any of the deterrent sprays I've caught my Harvey on occasion's trying to have a nibble and stopped him. My mums was quiet paranoid about her kitchen so I bought some anti-chew spray. I found it worked if I caught him having trying to have a nibble, sprayed it on the furniture straight away and when he went back for another nibble he soon turned his nose up  :005:. My Harvey isn't much of a furniture nibbler yet!! :-\ (tempting fate there) but the spray might be worth a try.  ;)

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2010, 11:11:02 AM »
Yes, been there done that, Odie found he quite liked it despite sneezing several times :005:  I don't think there is a method/gadget I haven't tried and am now adopting the attitude that he WILL grow out of it!  ;)

Offline harveyroan

• little harvey
« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2010, 10:39:11 PM »
Yes I know what you mean about the sneezing  :005:. My Harvey has this thing about the living room rug and pulling it. Well just tried out the spray on that made him sneeze a bit and it stinks horrid. Certainly doesn't go down well with a glass of wine :005: I know my friend tried some chili powder on the furniture and he said that stopped his St Bernard chewing (poor little  >:D) might be worth a try if he's persistant

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2010, 10:47:36 PM »
Not sure about Chilli powder but as I've found out, Odie tends to like everything I can throw at him :005: :005