Author Topic: Rawhide chews etc  (Read 6478 times)

Offline mooching

Re: Rawhide chews etc
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2010, 10:19:59 AM »
Thanks for that, Sarah (Antos make Cerea! http://www.antosuk.com/ )

Offline Sarah1985

« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2010, 10:26:10 AM »
Thanks for that, Sarah (Antos make Cerea! http://www.antosuk.com/ )

Wups. my mistake  :005:

Offline rubyduby

« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2010, 09:17:32 AM »
I can confess to also stuggle to find 'safe ' chews i wont touch rawhide and tried Paddywack till I saw the massive pieces passed through in the pups droppings .
My guys chew and 'eat' everything ,cardboard,paper anything they get hold of recently they tried sequins and buttons .
I too would love to know what is out there, even toys are destroyed and 'eaten' I guess walking and tiring is the only answer.
I am wondering how to keep their teeth clean!

Offline mooching

« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2010, 09:36:34 AM »
rubyduby

I give my pup Fish4Dogs "Skinny Strips". One of my local pet shops sells them, so it's quite handy. If you look here at their Sea Jerky range and scroll down, you will see a link for the "Skinny Strips". They don't last as long as a chew (1-2 mins maybe!) but they are very crunchy and good for teeth cleaning.

http://www.fish4dogs.com/Categories/Dog-Shop/treats.aspx

It says:

Made from 100% fish skins these natural healthy treats have a rough texture which helps remove tartar from your dog’s teeth.

Omega 3 and other fish oils to help promote a healthy coat and supple joints.  Omega oils have been shown to improve concentration and temperament.
This is the fish version of raw hide! Rather than chew, dogs crunch through these large dental treats that are comfortably held in the paws.

I'm also going to try the ostrich chews that Nicola recommended and also the veal ones that Ninasmum mentioned.

Offline Anita D

• Dog Walker Cheltenham & Tewkesbury
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2010, 09:52:35 AM »
I more often give the ostrich/venison etc. chews from Zooplus but I also give Rodaidh and Caoimhe rawhide chews occasionally, they both enjoy them and they've never had a problem with them. Tilly isn't allowed them because of her illness but she wasn't hugely keen on them anyway. I sometimes buy the flat HiLife ones that come in a tub which usually get chomped straight away and sometimes the twisted knot bone type ones which last for ages. I don't leave them lying around if I'm not there and I bin them once they've been chewed down to a small piece. As was also said on that other thread a dog could choke on anything and they don't pull big lumps off them and try to swallow them so I'm not particularly concerned about that. I'd have more concern about Caoimhe choking on her normal food which she inhales ::) I don't give them pigs' ears because they give Rodaidh the runs but they have had venison ears from Burns which went down pretty well.

Hi Nicola, which chews/treats do you consider the longest lasting?!!  I'd like to order some but I don't want anything that's gone too quickly!!  Thanks.
Dog Walker in Cheltenham & Tewkesbury.  Owned by Paddy & Fergus

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2010, 01:09:14 PM »
The twisted bone type ones last the longest but they're rawhide so it depends if you're happy to give those, the dogs get a really good chew at them and keep coming back to them. Of the Zooplus natural chews I think it's much of a muchness although the ostrich sinews are pretty good, the dried tripe bits etc. tend to get eaten pretty quickly.

Another one I just remembered is that I bought 3 of these - http://www.petsathome.com/shop/meaty-filled-bone-dog-treats-by-pets-at-home-13275 - and scraped out and binned the crappy filling that comes in them and then I fill them with other stuff (Primula, yoghurt etc.), a bit like a Kong but the dogs seem to prefer these, they spend ages chewing on them even when the filling is gone.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline rubyduby

« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2010, 05:27:01 PM »
Mooching

Thanks for the suggestion, I actually think our local petshop stocks fish4dogs stuff, so will see tomorrow what chews are available...

Offline Mel

• Donator
  • Owned and chomped by Taliesin the Bard.
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2010, 09:23:59 PM »
Thank you for a really interesting thread, Mooching. I'm going to remove rawhide and try some of the other suggestions.
Kelynen Mister Bojangles 17th March 1997 - 29th January 2010

”Come on Stink-woo, time for bubbyes. End of days now my poppety.”

Free Cake!

Offline mooching

« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2010, 10:48:17 PM »
If I could just also mention something my Alfie LOVES chewing and it's his Puzzle Bone (made by Nylabone). It's very different from any other Nylabone product, as it's textured and also moves when they chew it (a bit gruesomely perhaps, it's built a bit like vertebrae), and it makes it so much more interesting than just a plain smooth Nylabone. It's really tough too. It comes in two sizes, and is well worth the money as it provides lots of interests and lasts ages.

http://www.nutrecare.co.uk/Product-3369/Nylabone-dog-toys/Nylabone-puzzle-bone-dog-chew

Offline Black Red + Yellow

• Inactive
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2010, 10:38:05 AM »
Very very rarely and if I do, I never give them the ones with the knots on the ends and make sure they are small ones.....it is a waste of time here - it's only Finn who eats them because he can't let Alfie have them - Willow chews for about 5 minutes then goes to sleep and Alfie just plays with his and then the boys growl at each other and tease each other so can't remember the last time...it's too much bother.

My lot do however enjoy a big ole raw carrot to much on and chicken wings and legs.

Offline Danni and Freya

• Freya
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2010, 11:47:03 AM »
If I could just also mention something my Alfie LOVES chewing and it's his Puzzle Bone (made by Nylabone). It's very different from any other Nylabone product, as it's textured and also moves when they chew it (a bit gruesomely perhaps, it's built a bit like vertebrae), and it makes it so much more interesting than just a plain smooth Nylabone. It's really tough too. It comes in two sizes, and is well worth the money as it provides lots of interests and lasts ages.

http://www.nutrecare.co.uk/Product-3369/Nylabone-dog-toys/Nylabone-puzzle-bone-dog-chew

I've always looked at different nylabone products but can't imagina a lump of plastic being very appealing for a dog to chew  :huh: do other people use these? I just can't see my two looking at them twice. Thanks for this thread though as I will no longer be buying cheap rawhide for them

Offline Sarah1985

« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2010, 12:41:06 PM »

I've always looked at different nylabone products but can't imagina a lump of plastic being very appealing for a dog to chew  :huh: do other people use these? I just can't see my two looking at them twice. Thanks for this thread though as I will no longer be buying cheap rawhide for them

My two used them alot when they were teething but now not so much. They enjoyed the meat filled ones and they still get alittle bit of attention but Ive found them to be nowhere nearas appealing as a raw hide.

Offline Pudding

• Donator
  • Bob My Love My Life
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2010, 01:00:18 PM »
My Bob dose not like them.... he has the paddy wack  Tripe Sticks
Mooching that puzzle bone look interesting just going to have a look at it now  thanks

Offline mooching

« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2010, 01:11:57 PM »
I've always looked at different nylabone products but can't imagine a lump of plastic being very appealing for a dog to chew  :huh:
I guess it depends on how much of a chewer your dog is. It may still be a bit of a puppy thing (though he does already have most or all of his adult teeth) but he does love chewing - sticks, plant pots, brush handles, bits of plastic pipe  ;) I know some dogs aren't as chewy though.

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2010, 05:27:12 PM »

Honey couldn't care less about nylabones, but Pepsi (the rottie/bassett we very briefly fostered) absolutely loved hers... so I guess it does depend on the dog...

Honey adores her pizzles (have discovered the local pet shop sells them, so she gets one whole pizzle every couple of weeks now!!) - though the shop had sold out last week so we tried venison ears, which seem to have got the Honey seal of approval!!!  :D
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020