Author Topic: Puppy food variation  (Read 431 times)

Offline MarkSpark

Puppy food variation
« on: November 07, 2010, 09:12:19 AM »
Hi everyone

just thought I would pick you brains, our baby Esox is 3 months old and is at the moment on Royal Cain medium Junior, with a little bit of chicken mixed in which is what he will be on until he is 6 months, he is fed 3 times a day and he loves it, but I wondered what other treats he can have now and again to just spice his diet up a bit.

He has a few kongs and also wondered what would be ok for him to have inside them?

Also read quite a bit about raw hide chews on here and don't want to take the risk with choking etc, so any ideas to what else he can chew on?

thanks for your time

Mark

Offline ElaineH

• Donator
  • Handsome Morgan 19/06/2008 - 03/03/2024
Re: Puppy food variation
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 04:12:07 PM »
I don't know if I'm particularly mean but I don't really build variety as such into Morgan's meals. He gets a complete food twice a day for his meals and that's more or less it. He does however get raw chicken wings instead of his usual supper a couple of times a week but that's to help keep his teeth and anal glands in good working order  ;) I think variety is more a human concept! He gets treats of raw carrot, broccoli stalks, fish4dogs sea jerky and he gets a bedtime biscuit too, either homemade or James Wellbeloved Crackerjacks. A Nylabone is a good idea for chewing on, they do puppy ones which are not too hard for their little teeth.

In kongs we use peanut butter, bits of chicken or ham, or broken bits of biscuit held in place with cottage cheese or light cream cheese, you can put yoghurt in and freeze it. If you do a search on here for kongs you should get a few more ideas.
"Histories are more full of examples of the fidelity of dogs than of friends"  Alexander Pope

Offline mooching

Re: Puppy food variation
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 04:23:36 PM »
just thought I would pick you brains, our baby Esox is 3 months old and is at the moment on Royal Cain medium Junior, with a little bit of chicken mixed in which is what he will be on until he is 6 months, he is fed 3 times a day and he loves it, but I wondered what other treats he can have now and again to just spice his diet up a bit.
Be careful of providing too much variety as it can make them fussy. As he loves it and you're happy adding the chicken, I'd suggest sticking with that for now, and not giving him anything else till he is a bit older and his eating pattern has been established for a bit longer. Having said that, you could always add the odd tablespoonful of left over rice or pasta, or a toast crust that has been crunched up into small pieces, or a little cooked potato or other veg, though I'd suggest you don't do it for every meal (keep him guessing!). If we've had fish, I sometimes give Alf some of the fish skin cut up in his food, but only as an occasional treat.