Author Topic: New puppy equipment  (Read 3720 times)

Offline MrsG

Re: New puppy equipment
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2011, 08:49:18 PM »
We have cream carpet and a black cocker, its a nightmare!! But very much worth it xx

Offline maddy74

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2011, 12:14:12 AM »
Glad I am not the only one with cream carpets then  :dance04: At the min everyone coming in takes their shoes off, there will be little point when Willow arrives ...lol    oh my beautiful house ..... only joking, like you say its worth it and I cant wait.... :005:

Offline NickyT

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2011, 12:38:56 AM »
 :005: :005: :005:

This made me chuckle...we have wooden flooring all through downstairs and I can tell you its still a nightmare for muddy paws!!   ph34r  Cockers just love mud and water...you should see our car!!  >:(

We have cream carpet upstairs, I can recommend 1001 stain remover it has worked a treat on ours and since I cleaned it Jazz hasn't wee'd there again. 

I can say that Charlie was absolutely brilliant with his housetraining, he was clean/dry day and night by 18 weeks...Jazz however is a totally different story!!  Although saying that, we have had 3 clean nights this week  :clapping:

We always paper train our dogs first, put plenty of newspaper down everywhere at first.  As soon as you see your pup squat to 'go' pick her up and move her to the paper and praise like mad.  You can slowly decrease the amount of paper and move it to the door, and then outside.  I have to say it was easier with Charlie because it was summer when we had him and the door was constantly open.  As Mooching said as well, putting her outside every half an hour or so and praising like a mad woman when she 'goes' works a treat...Cockers love to make you happy, and can't get enough praise. 

Offline mooching

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2011, 12:44:59 AM »
Maddy, you just have to work out what suits you and your pup and your family/home set-up. I didn't paper train at all, just took him straight outside every 20-30 mins, plus after a meal, nap or a game, or whenever he would start to sniff/circle in a certain way. We left him in his crate if we went out, and he only ever messed in that once, and that was when we got delayed and ended up leaving him for 3 hours rather than the 2 hours we'd planned for (and built up to). That was when he was almost 10 wks old, and he never did it again after that.

Offline NickyT

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2011, 12:47:29 AM »
Very true, each to their own...we don't use a crate tho' so paper was the best way for us if we went out.

Offline maddy74

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2011, 12:50:04 AM »
Thanks for you advice. I have had mixed mges about paper training pups, someone said if you paper train them its telling them its okay to wee wee in the house and to take the pup out. I did think about those training pad things you put down but really dont wanna encourage her to wee wee inside....But at the same time wee wee in the carpet isnt gunna be good either.... :005:

Offline maddy74

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2011, 12:53:25 AM »
Nicky t your dogs look adorable, im wondering whether our little bundle of joy will grow up to look like them, their colouring looks similar  :D

Offline maddy74

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2011, 12:56:14 AM »
P.s if anyone had got some old lengths of carpet they dont want that will fit over the existing cream one, please send it to me in Coventry........ :011:

Offline NickyT

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2011, 01:03:35 AM »
 :D Thank youu  :D

I'm sure you will sort the housetraining out, I suppose it does make sense really re: paper telling them its ok to wee inside  :009:  Oh well ours are all clean now, it's just Jazz through the night that's a bit testing but puppies can't 'hold it' until a certain age so we just have to persevere, but touch wood she's got it now after 3 dry nights.

Can't wait to see more piccies of your little one  ;)

Offline maddy74

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2011, 01:09:09 AM »
It will be trial and error for us donkeys years since we owned a dog never mind a pup, hence the cream carpet...lol..... I might get the training pads, or I could buy some pampers nappies to put on her    :rofl1: ....How many times does your pup wake in the night?

Offline mooching

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2011, 01:23:54 AM »
Maddy,

This is how it was with Alfie. We picked him up a day before he was 8 weeks. We closed the door of his crate on the first night at around 11pm. He whined at 3am, so I took him out for a wee then cuddled him and popped him back to bed again. He woke again at around 5am, so I did the same. Then he slept till about 7am and then I kept him up for the day. He didn't wee or poo in his crate. Second night he woke again at about 3 and about 5; third night he didn't wake till gone 4, fourth night not till 5. He still didn't wee or poo in his crate. He stayed with the waking around 5am for another couple of weeks, then it started getting just a little later every morning, until by the time he was 16 weeks old he was mostly sleeping till 7.30am (and still not messing in his crate). If he did wake earlier, I'd let him out for a wee, but then sit down by his crate, cuddle him, and massage his ears and shoulders, and it would make him sleepy enough to be put back to bed. :luv: (That still works now, btw, even though he is 9 months old! If he wakes at 8am on a day when we could actually lie in, I let him out, but then cuddle him and put him back to bed, and he will sleep until 9.30 or even 10!)

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2011, 08:30:24 AM »
Dogs are different when it comes to housetraining.  With my first cocker Indie I did as Mooching did with Alfie and took her out regularly and this worked very well for her.  Misha was different completely and it soon became clear that this method wouldn't work with her as she would pee outside and as soon as you came back in would pee again, so I created her own little area near the backdoor with paper down (thankfully my house lends itself to this as she had a 3mtr square area near the back door with paper down) along with her crate and bed etc.  I only praised her if she went to the loo outside never inside.  Even though it took her a while to figure out the housetraining she never once peed in the living room or on carpets thankfully.  Roly was different again in that he was more or less housetrained when he arrived (plus it was summer with doors open a lot), so he just took himself out.

If you looking for any background reading the "The Perfect Puppy" by Gwen Bailey is a good start and covers right from 1st night to initial training etc.

I think you just have to find what works and fits in with you and your pup.
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline mark1

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2011, 08:41:29 AM »
Dogs are different when it comes to housetraining.  With my first cocker Indie I did as Mooching did with Alfie and took her out regularly and this worked very well for her.  Misha was different completely and it soon became clear that this method wouldn't work with her as she would pee outside and as soon as you came back in would pee again, so I created her own little area near the backdoor with paper down (thankfully my house lends itself to this as she had a 3mtr square area near the back door with paper down) along with her crate and bed etc.  I only praised her if she went to the loo outside never inside.  Even though it took her a while to figure out the housetraining she never once peed in the living room or on carpets thankfully.  Roly was different again in that he was more or less housetrained when he arrived (plus it was summer with doors open a lot), so he just took himself out.

If you looking for any background reading the "The Perfect Puppy" by Gwen Bailey is a good start and covers right from 1st night to initial training etc.

I totally agree with this. All puppies are different, as are circumstances, and you can find what works for one won't with the next. We have never found a crate at night worked for us personally, but others will swear by it. I know a number of years ago I used paper successfully but when we tried it with Molly it was a disaster. Bailey is now pretty much housetrained at 17 weeks and we have found a system that has worked for us, chances are you could follow it and would be different with yours. We read lots and lots, and then decided what method we were going to use. Having three puppies over the past four years I'd have to say it was a different method with each one. It's a great feeling when it all goes to plan though  ;)

Offline Sarah1985

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2011, 09:02:11 AM »

I totally agree with this. All puppies are different, as are circumstances, and you can find what works for one won't with the next. We have never found a crate at night worked for us personally, but others will swear by it. I know a number of years ago I used paper successfully but when we tried it with Molly it was a disaster. Bailey is now pretty much housetrained at 17 weeks and we have found a system that has worked for us, chances are you could follow it and would be different with yours. We read lots and lots, and then decided what method we were going to use. Having three puppies over the past four years I'd have to say it was a different method with each one. It's a great feeling when it all goes to plan though  ;)

Yea I agree. I was pretty smug about Dexter being so good it was quite a shock when Clover really didnt get it. It took her alot longer to get there and we had to be more flexable with her and how we dealt with her.

My mum has cream carpets (not with a puppy thou) and obbessively wiped her dogs feet after every wee break. Even thou her dog is now gone she still insists that my two have a foot rub to preserve her carpets.  :005:

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2011, 09:18:45 AM »
Roly was never keen on being in a crate but he did settle to sleep, but even now at 2.5 years old doesn't spend much time in there other than to have a nose about and see what the girls may have hidden in there.  Whereas Misha loves it and it is her favourite place to sleep, as does Lexi. 
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love