Author Topic: Accredited Breeder Scheme - Current health screening requirements  (Read 1197 times)

Offline penguins87

• My Girls- Beau,Lottie and Dora
is anyone else a bit confused by the scheme and its changing requirements  >?:(

We had our lovely girl DNA tested by Optigen for prcd-PRA - result carrier and FN clear  also had once a year eye testing unaffected and at the time Gonioscopy  now not required Jan 2011 ( i think ) but recommended . So as we all know a lotta money but understandable as we want to produce the best puppies with no problems for a happy healthy life . Now I am reading from many hi profile kennel web pages that the yearly eye testing is only a snap shot of the eye and only proves no problems are present at that particular time and quite a lot of breeders don't have it done at all just the DNA now ..? I also hear that only Optigen is recognised by the KC.

I have contacted the kc and asked why I am finding it difficult to find a stud dog with the yearly eye  test as most breeders tell me its not needed if the dog is hereditary clear ?

The scheme also mentions a period of grace for recent changes but does not mention what changes they are ..  :doh: 

* Breeds marked with an asterisk are new additions to this list or have had a recent change to their Requirements or Recommendations. Accredited Breeders may have a period of grace before compliance with new Requirements is mandatory.

can anyone clarify this for me I have e mailed the KC twice with no reply yet two weeks and called but the 'general answering agent' didn't seem to know everything and suggested I e mailed . You guys seem to know so much on here and i'd be most grateful..

:D

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his
life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the
last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such
devotion."
--Unknown

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Re: Accredited Breeder Scheme - Current health screening requirements
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 05:46:51 PM »
The reason the AB Scheme still asks for a clinical eye test is because the test looks for other conditions besides prcd_PRA (Optigen also recommends the continuation of annual clinical tests). Requirements under the scheme are always under review and can be changed at the request of the breed clubs (hence the DNA tests for prcd_PRA and FN have recently changed from recommended to required and the glaucoma test has changed from required to recommended). The KC's own geneticist has apparently said DNA tested (or genetically clear dogs) would be fine to be eye tested less frequently than annually but that's not currently reflected in the ABS requirements.

There are Accredited Breeders in Cockers who also have stud dogs and their dogs will usually have a current eye test cert so if you're an AB and want an eye tested stud dog, you'll probably have to limit your choice to dogs owned by other ABs. Alternatively ask other stud dog owners if they would be willing to get their dog eye tested - some will, some won't.
Jane

Offline penguins87

• My Girls- Beau,Lottie and Dora
Re: Accredited Breeder Scheme - Current health screening requirements
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 09:02:06 PM »
Hi Jane s

thanks for the reply it has helped me understand the workings a of the ABS a bit better  ..  You are absolutely right regarding owners of some stud dogs a few won't get them tested and I have come across some very curt responses   :shades:  each to their own

I did hear from the KC late this afternoon and still booking my girls in for their yearly eye screening although I think this may as you say be changed in the not too distant future to less frequency ..

thanks knew someone would know on here .. great forum  :D

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his
life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the
last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such
devotion."
--Unknown