Author Topic: Health Tests  (Read 1996 times)

Offline janandted

• Donator
Health Tests
« on: April 29, 2011, 03:34:12 PM »
  Not sure if this is the correct place for this Mods,apologies if not.
Been looking for a breeder,found one with all my requirements and awaited a litter which has now arrived. :D On the website it stated the Dam of the litter Optigen A1/Clear  FN Normal/Clear.  I have just looked on the Kennel Club website for the health screening, it says no results  :-\ . For the Sire it just gives a hip score. Could this be because they are both hereditary clear?
I felt very confident speaking with the breeder so hope there is a simple explanation  :D

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Re: Health Tests
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 05:03:31 PM »
If dogs are genetically clear, it will say so on the KC health test checker (as long as the KC have the evidence for this). Some dogs which were Optigen tested before Optigen automatically submitted results to the KC (pre August 2008) may not have their results recorded against their registrations if the breeder hasn't sent proof of testing to the KC. Any dog Optigen tested after August 2008 will have their results automatically sent to the KC without involving the breeder. Are both parents of an age where they could have been tested before this date? If they are, the breeder should be happy to show you their certificates and tell you when they were both tested.
Jane

Offline janandted

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 05:15:37 PM »
Thankyou Jane,  the Dam was born pre 2008 ,the sire was after 2008 though imported.I will ask to see certs.when i visit...just felt very anxious as we have had one bad experience. :embarassed:

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 05:26:21 PM »
Thankyou Jane,  the Dam was born pre 2008 ,the sire was after 2008 though imported.I will ask to see certs.when i visit...just felt very anxious as we have had one bad experience. :embarassed:

Imported dogs can be tricky - the KC won't necessarily add all their results on (but Optigen results shouldn't be a problem as long as the owner has sent in a copy of the certificate)
Jane

Offline janandted

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 05:59:16 PM »
The sire imp. (from a different breeder) shows as Optigen and FN Hereditary clear.......would they have certs. proving that ?  I really want to get this right! Both are very reputable breeders who show and judge so i can't imagine things are not as they seem :-\

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 06:43:10 PM »
The sire imp. (from a different breeder) shows as Optigen and FN Hereditary clear.......would they have certs. proving that ? 

Yes the owner should have copies of all the relevant certificates (we have for our own imported Cocker).
Jane

Offline Snoopy

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 07:02:50 PM »
Not sure about the imported sire but the dam could be Laboklin tested.

The Kennel Club accept the results but don't publish them. ;)

At least I think that's correct. :-\

Offline LynneB

• a pile of dogs
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 11:01:11 AM »
I had to inform the kennel club of my dogs' test results and that was only last year.
Laelia Showdogs and Groomers