Author Topic: Halti help  (Read 856 times)

Offline *MaryG*

• Donator
Halti help
« on: July 25, 2011, 05:40:17 PM »
Has anyone used a halti headcollar? Pepper pulls a lot on the lead ,despite lots of traditional training  and I was thinking of using one with him

Offline Goggins

• Donator
  • Princess "Freya" Trucker (dob:25/03/2011)
Re: Halti help
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 06:21:38 PM »
Have used haltis with good effect with my boxers but personally I prefer the "Dogmatic" more comfortable for the woofs and it doesnt ride up into their eyes either. Their website is very good and are very helpful via phone and email...

One thing though is you must prepare yourself for the "Im gonna die if this doesnt come off so I will walk with my snout in the pavement and paws trying to get the damn thing off" attitude which many woofs do. Its best to introduce it gradually with positive rewards (praise and treats etc)...

The use of headcollars give much greater control and is really useful whilst trying to teach the "heel" or "please dont pull me" commands...

Im sure others will be along with their experience with their cocker spaniels...

I wish you well....

Carol owned and loved by Freya (my gorgeous cocker spaniel), Thor (boxer) and Merlin (border collie)

Offline *MaryG*

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 02:54:32 PM »
Thank you I have looked at the dogmatic site. having bought a halti, i will carry on trying to use it...we are just wearing it at meal times at the moment, but already he ahs pulled it off so if I need to look at another one the dogmatic looks good. thanks.

Offline Pudding

• Donator
  • Bob My Love My Life
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 03:15:47 PM »
I have recommended this on here before and the people who bought it
thought it was a fab head collar here is the link for you to have a look
http://www.k9bridle.com/
i liked this one because the lead attaches to the top of the dog head
not under the chin

Offline Darwin

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 10:30:27 PM »
I started using a Gentle Leader, which is similar to the Halti when Darwin was 8months old.  He's now 2 1/2 yrs old  I've have been told the younger the Dog is when you start using a head collar it's easier for them to get use to it.  Once you've started to use a headcollar I think you need to carry on using it on a regular basis so that your dog doesn't react badly ( try and remove it or even rub their face on the pavement) if you suddenly start using it again.

Initially Darwin would paw at it like a cat that's cleaning it's face, and as a result it would move further up in nose so that it would rub his eyes. BUT it works I would have a perfectly behaved cocker spaniel walking to heel with out any pulling. - BLISS.  It has been wonderful in giving my son the confidence to walk Darwin. 

Earlier this year I got a Dogmatic Head Collar as I wanted something that wouldn't ride up into Darwin's eyes. Especially as we were spending some time in Devon and Darwin tends to become a professional street cleaner, eating all kinds of rubbish ( crab bate etc...) and of course is then sick in the middle of the night.  The Dogmatic is much much better, but I don't think I've followed my own advice and regularly used it, so Darwin isn't very keen on it. 

I must start using it again( at least once a week) to make sure Darwin is more comfortable with the Dogamatic Head collar. so that if we've in a very busy environment or somewhere that Darwin can easily find loads of rubbish to eat I know I'll have easy control of him.

Offline julie1

• Julie & Kez
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 02:52:43 PM »
not under the chin

I bought & used this, it is SO GOOD that now I carry it in my dog bag & if she PULL's I just have to show it to her & IT WORKS :rofl1: :rofl1:.    Obviously she doesn't like it
regards from Julie & Kez

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 04:21:28 PM »
I'm sure you're all well aware anyway but a word of caution, never ever use an extending lead with any kind of head collar ;)

Offline MuffinsMum

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 04:27:26 PM »
not under the chin

I bought & used this, it is SO GOOD that now I carry it in my dog bag & if she PULL's I just have to show it to her & IT WORKS :rofl1: :rofl1:.    Obviously she doesn't like it

Just ordered one.

I used a GenCon on Muffin, until my father said it looked like a kind choke chain.  We currently use a Halti but it does ride up towards her eyes and she has learnt to pull against it, and if she suddenly runs it can cause her head to turn back sharply which could damage her neck.  We only use it on the way out to a walk, on the way back she can walk beautifully to heel with just her lead.