Author Topic: I think it's going to have to be a muzzle *UPDATE*  (Read 3693 times)

Offline Neon

• Donator
Re: I think it's going to have to be a muzzle *UPDATE*
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2011, 05:56:20 PM »
Oh, sorry but I'm a little confused  :huh: I wasn't talking about leaving a treat.  I was talking about leaving anything in general that I don't want him to have and then treating him for obeying.

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv:

Offline max2011

« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2011, 06:29:43 PM »
Hi Neon, Don't worry I understand what you are saying. I was trying to explain how our puppy class start off teaching the leave command. They explain how they need to understand leave it in case we drop a tablet etc on the floor but make us practice by putting a treat on floor, saying leave it and then after he has left it saying he can have it. Max is great at this but I am sure that is because he knows he is going to get it!! I therefore want to practice with other things whereby he doesn't always get it once he has left it if you understand what I mean.

Just done our final walk before training and he walked the whole way with ball in mouth so no nasties been eaten tonight. It is definately the garden I have problems with!

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2011, 06:36:17 PM »
Thanks Max.  I understand now.  Yes, they do know they are getting a treat and it seems a lot like bribery but hey ho  :005:  Well done tonight :005:  Hopefully no nasty poops to clean up tomorrow  :lol:

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2011, 06:38:20 PM »
Neon, you train leave it by setting up something a pup will be interested in, normally a treat, and then rewarding them for not taking it.  My comment was purely in response to the way in which Max2011 has been told to train, whereby the puppy then gets the treat it has left - as he has found this leads to a pup who thinks they will eventually get whatever they are being asked to leave.  By training it by giving a different treat, and putting the original one away, the pup doesn't make that association.

You can then generalise the behaviour to ask them to leave other objects in return for a treat... and eventually fade out the treat.  :D
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2011, 07:44:16 PM »
Thanks Karma.  I was a little confused there but I understand now.  I've taught Toby to "leave" by placing a treat on the floor and making him wait until I say "take it".  I thought this was the only way of doing it.  I will now try it the way you have suggested because I really want him to start and leave things without expecting a treat all the time.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2011, 08:18:11 PM »
I also play games as I go on walks - getting mine to find stuff I've hidden in long grass etc. out and about - its actually increased their focus on me + mine didn't do balls as young pups until I made their use into exciting games. Wilf will do more for a ball now than food.

Sometimes you have to interact more with your dog out and about particularly as he's also going through the teenage phase and not listening as he did when he was a tiny pup.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2011, 08:50:38 PM »
Brilliant advice Penny  :D
Luckily for me balls & treats work 99.9% of the time with my 4 :shades:

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline max2011

« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2011, 09:22:55 PM »
Karma, your way makes so much more sense. Will be doing that from now on thanks. Max was a nightmare tonight at training - showed me up completely!!!!!