Author Topic: Red lump on lower eyelid - chalazion?  (Read 319 times)

Offline hfg

Red lump on lower eyelid - chalazion?
« on: October 24, 2011, 07:19:20 PM »
Hi, Dexter (age 4.5 yrs) has a red lump on the outside of his lower eyelid.  I took him to the vet last week and they gave him a course of antibiotics. The lump has increased a bit (I'm guessing it's about 5-6mm, was about 4mm) but the vet said it was probably caused by some blocked sebaceous gland or something (I can't quite remember what she said but I looked up on the internet and found this thing called a chalazion which seems to match?!)  The vet did say that they would rather leave it for now as they can go away on their own and doesn't want to operate if possible (i'd rather not too) because it can be problematic in healing etc based on where it is.  Just wondered if anyone has come across these before and, if so, what they've done about it and also is there any homeopathic remedy that would work to get rid of it?  Appreciate any info.  Meant to say, Dexter's just started rubbing it (not a lot but sometimes) but other than that he's absolutely in tip top condition. thank you.

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
Re: Red lump on lower eyelid - chalazion?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 08:30:01 PM »
Are they sure it isn't cherry eye?  It isn't particularly common in cockers but is something Jasper had before he came to live with us!

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline hfg

Re: Red lump on lower eyelid - chalazion?
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 10:21:08 PM »
Don't think it's cherry eye - vet never mentioned that and i've looked at pictures on line and they all look inside the eyelid yet Dexter's is definitely on the outside.  It's not painful to the touch either so they don't think it's something inside.