Author Topic: acceptable puppy behaviour  (Read 3717 times)

Offline Jimyg

acceptable puppy behaviour
« on: March 11, 2012, 05:16:52 PM »
What can I expect as normal behaviour? My little Hugo has just full on bit into my arm for no reason, he has been hyperactive all day and has destroyed the garden   :lol2: this weekend he has had several funny turns of what I'd consider to be aggressive behaviour I have no problem with play biting but he's getting a bit out of control slowly...

Offline maddy74

Re: acceptable puppy behaviour
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 05:48:31 PM »
It sounds like normal puppy behaviour, Willow had me in tears a few times as a pup as I thought she was out of control. When willow was playing too rough I would make a yip noise and turn my back and end the game, she soon learnt.

Re the mess in your garden, it might be worth your putting your pup on a lead in the garden, this is what a trainer advised me, and then its easier to correct unwanted behaviours. For example Willow as a pup used to head towards where we had pebbles and put them in her mouth, we then put her on her lead and wouldnt allow her on that area, within a few weeks even when off the lead then she knew not to go on that area. Having them on a lead i found helped with the housetraining too and she didnt get side tracked with play and would go to the loo.  ;)

I would then start letting Hugo off the lead for short times in the garden and praise him when he isnt destroying your garden and put him back on the lead when and if he does it again. It worked for us. Good luck  :D

Offline jaybee

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 05:55:57 PM »
Bingley was very bitey for a good three or four weeks at one point. It really wore me down and a few times I was close to tears. Challenging, and completely normal puppy behaviour, on top of less sleep and general stress of life takes it toll. I once told OH I wished we'd not got him  ph34r

I second everything maddy has suggested, great advice.

But it does sound very normal to me. It does get better.

Promise

"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich."

Offline Jimyg

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 06:01:28 PM »
Thankyou he was originally on his lead but I let him off as he looked like he was having so much fun and its since then that he has become a naughty little scamp and more rough biting has started! He is fine now having a cuddles with his mum lol just seems to be the garden that sends him mad and when I treat him cheese?

Offline maddy74

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 06:16:52 PM »
I found if Willow got too excited it was harder to calm her down so I tried to avoid the situation. Willow was and still is easily calmed down by holding her and gently rubbing the tips of her ears, it seem to chill her out.

Like jaybee says it does get easier, Willow is 15 months now and is a really star, i had days when i really thought we had done the wrong thing getting a pupster but my god I wouldnt be without my furry baby now for the world.

Offline jaybee

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 06:23:41 PM »
Oh yes, I would never be without him now. I fully expect him to have other little periods that are challenging, but they are soooo worth it.

"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich."

Offline Jimyg

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 07:30:29 PM »
He just went out on his lead and was so calm compared to earlier seems a bit sorry for himself after he bit me keeps coming over for fuss and sorrys  :lol2:

Offline Samba

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 07:50:49 PM »
Mine was and still is exactly the same at times, there has been some days I thought Id made a terrible mistake getting him.

We have used the naughty room method when he has got really manic and seems to calm him right down.

He has been so much better since we have been able to go out for walks etc.

Wouldn't change him for the world thou.

Offline black taz

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 09:19:01 PM »
What food is he on?

Offline Jimyg

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 08:22:34 AM »
Royal canin, has a bit of raw meat occasionally when I go the pet shop, yes we use the naughty room he really doesn't enjoy it!

Offline PennyB

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2012, 12:42:37 PM »
They can get really bitey when excitable as well - I used to remove myself when this happened as it was obvious the pup wasn't listening anyway. Sometimes by persisting in vocally stopping the pup doing this when he/she's not listening can just perpetuate the problem

Stella my current pup went through this phase but has now grown out of it and taught not to (just waiting for teenage mouthing to may be come along now ;)) - I would also shove a toy in her mouth at times to distract her when she just wasn't listening to my cries of 'no' or squeals.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Robbie34

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2012, 03:41:27 PM »
Henry was like this when he was a puppy, my hands were like plates of meat.  It was all done in play - he is very boisterous - but not nastilly.  He no longer mouths, at seventeen months, and he is lovely; he never growls or shows his teeth.  I think you'll just have to accept it as normal puppy behaviour.

Offline jen1876

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 04:36:43 PM »
They can get really bitey when excitable as well - I used to remove myself when this happened as it was obvious the pup wasn't listening anyway. Sometimes by persisting in vocally stopping the pup doing this when he/she's not listening can just perpetuate the problem

Stella my current pup went through this phase but has now grown out of it and taught not to (just waiting for teenage mouthing to may be come along now ;)) - I would also shove a toy in her mouth at times to distract her when she just wasn't listening to my cries of 'no' or squeals.

Don't want to hijack the ops post but what do you mean by teenage mouthing? (new cocker mummy here!) our 6 month old is turning into a mouthy monster (not aggressive in anyway) lunging and biting at arms, hands when we sit down and usually panting in a very over excited way!! Is this what he is doing? It tends to be worse in the evenings and I have to admit it does get me down a bit when i'm in on my own and on the recieving end! Eventually time out seems to work but it can take a good half an hour or so!!

Offline Jimyg

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2012, 04:55:25 PM »
No problems with the Hi jack  :lol2:

We are having a trainer in tommorow to have a look because he is getting worse and decided to fully bite into my shoulder without any reason and it is becoming worse and I don't want me pooch to become aggressive when he's bigger! He goes through the day with mad spares of aggression from no where

Offline jessandme

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2012, 06:05:16 PM »
Could I ask, how old is Hugo?