Author Topic: acceptable puppy behaviour  (Read 3718 times)

Offline Karma

• Site Member
Re: acceptable puppy behaviour
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2012, 08:49:42 AM »

Added to which, if you've had him 2 weeks, he came home a little early (unless he's very nearly 10 weeks old), which means he missed out on some vital time of his littermates teaching him not to nip hard... the younger the pup leaves its litter the more bitey they do seem to be, as they miss the peer learning experience. 

Hopefully the structure your new rules give you mean that he knows more what is expected, and he may well respond well to that, but don't think that it's because he was thinking he was boss - consistent rules definately help and there's nothing you have mentioned that is going to harm him (some "rank reduction" advice can include some very dodgy things that could escalate problems in some dogs), so if you are happy to implement eat first, through door first, it's not going to be a problem.  It really isn't practical for us to eat before our dog... and she certainly doesn't think she is our boss...  ;)

I would highly recommend either Gwen Bailey's "How to Train a Superdog" or Sarah Fisher/Marie Miller's "100 ways to train the perfect dog" as a great way to look again at how to approach a new pup/dog - another great book is Sarah Fisher's "How to unlock your dog's potential"

I hope Hugo settles in well and that the biting eases sooner rather than later....  :D
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline LynneB

• a pile of dogs
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2012, 09:55:19 AM »
Lewis is a very bitey pup, we got him on Saturday and arm was bruised Sunday. I do know it's all part of owning a cockerdile...... :005:
Laelia Showdogs and Groomers

Offline mlynnf50

• Donator
« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2012, 10:31:25 AM »
When we got selby nothing prepared me for what I had taken on >:D I have bred dogs and had dogs all my life but nothing prepared me for him. Bitting snarling growling and at some point I was  scared of him, I made many many mistakes I was a learning curve for both of us, I often thought what the he...have I got him for, I cried many a tear, we live in France and do not speak French very well so could not find anyone to help. I managed with trial and error to deal with different situations, I tried to treat him within reason as I would a child.  If he got something he should not have I had to swap it for a treat, something I have ne er had to do with any of my other dogs but it works and now he will come to me with it. My breeder did say cockers take longer to mature don't know if this is true of all of them but certainly know it's true of selby.

Selby is just over 2 now and although it's still on going is the training I can honestly say we have a lovely boy and I love him to bits, he is my world so stick at it it's well worth it :luv: :luv:

Offline Clare B

« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2012, 10:32:25 AM »
Gosh, Flo used to do all that you've said Hugo does, and at first I was a bit shocked and
Then thought it's just like my kids were when little ... If over - stimulated or over-tired then
Behavior will become over-the-top. So I did what
I learned from child rearing and stopped the
Stimulation turned my back and ignored and/or put them to bed.  If that didn't
Work it meant they were coming down with a cold or something .
Really he's only 9 weeks old ..... Back to the child analogy ... Some babies sleep through
From the beginning, others bellow like bulls .  My three bellowed
and my cocker Flo acted up like Hugo... They grow out of it
And all will be fine. But we can't help worrying along the way. Xx

Offline Jimyg

« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2012, 11:40:36 AM »
He's 10 weeks on Friday, I think the trainer explained things in a different way as pretty much all the advice given on here was given.
We were having trouble with knowing what rules to set, and he did use the child analogy with us but neither of us have had kids maybe things might of been a little more normal if we had!
He's just been chewing on my ear in a nice way little nibbles  :lol2: where before it was more of a bite and hold! He is still the same pup but it is far easier to get on with him! He seems to be more friendly towards new people as well a rep just came in and he was very happy to meet her wether this is just getting older I dont know but before his first reaction was go for the trousers
 :005: