Author Topic: Henry had his first walk!  (Read 646 times)

Offline SophieBlueRoanLover

• Sophie Carr Photography
Henry had his first walk!
« on: July 27, 2012, 06:02:38 PM »
The day finally came for Henry to have his first walk! He did okay, but gave up a few times, wanted to play with the lead quite a bit, spent a LOT of time sniffing, but enjoyed the grassy bits. We walked to the vet and got him weighed and he's now 4.1kg (put on 0.5kg in a week, greedy pup!). We only met one dog nose-to-nose (a mini schnauzer called Ludwig!) and that went well (he was on lead too) - lots of tail wagging and nose sniffing.

I guess he'll get the hang of the walking thing over the next few days - will take treats next time to encourage him in a forward position! Taking him to the pub for a pre-Olympic ceremony drink shortly and to meet one of my best friends (who's not a dog person :-\).

Offline **purpleprincess**

Re: Henry had his first walk!
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 06:07:35 PM »
Awww! How cool! Cannot wait to take Luca for walks.

Have fun tonight!
Owned by Luca, the chocolate roan cocker spaniel :)

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 06:09:02 PM »
Your friend "wasnt" a dog person but bet she will fall in love with Henry  :o :005:
Its lovely when they have their first walk, albeit a bit daunting, sure Henry will start to love his walks.
My Riley is a lazy man at times, he sometimes hides when I produce the harness but once its on and we are out the door he is fine.

Have fun tonight, plenty will be cooing over Henry.

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 06:38:16 PM »
Just went out again and he met a fellow blue roan cs (just over a year) - was so sweet seeing him with one of his people! He wasn't too happy with the other one barking at him though!

Offline Monty12

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 08:47:31 PM »
Awww the first walk is one of my fav things From montys first few weeks...and he was gagging to go down on the ground too....not to mention me having sore arms carrying him everywhere!!

And he looks sooo cute I don't know how anyone would not love him....dog person or not!!

Ems x

Offline sarahm2008

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 08:33:28 PM »
aaah!  I bet it was wonderful I can take Sandon next Monday and am counting down the days....vet told me 14 days after second vaccination so feels like forever.
Did you just use collar and lead? Sandon really dislikes his and I worry he will somehow manage to escape his collar by pulling backwards, did you do loads of practice before you took Henry out? How long did you go for? sorry for all the questions!!

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 09:58:56 PM »
The walking's not going terribly well! Especially after we leave the house, so I end up having to carry him, just as before. We have an enclosed "dog exercise area" opposite our house where he can run around off the lead, which is handy, and a larger common a minute away (on a big main road though!). I'd tried him with the lead beforehand and he just turned his neck to bite it. He still does that a little bit, but generally when I put the lead on him he just stops. Sometimes sits down, sometimes just stands there looking stubborn and cute! I end up picking him up and carrying him. We've been on a couple of walks and I tried to coax him with treats, but even that didn't work really. He's a bit better on the way home. I'm sure he'll get into it.

He's met a few dogs - one of them is a puppy of 6 months (lab) who he's met nose-to-nose before. It was all going well until the other pup decided to play and Henry started running away squealing, which excited the other pup even more! Poor little Henry, but he was still wagging his tail at the end of it and I took him back to make up with the other pup. All part of the new experience...

He slept awfully last night (woke up about every hour or two, so I went to sit by the crate without letting him out until he went back to sleep), so hopefully tonight he'll be exhausted (already asleep now, which doesn't bode well for me lying in until 6am!). He's getting the house-training thing finally - going to the door when he needs to go. So now it's just walking on the lead and sleeping properly. Then he'll be perfect!

Offline Black Beauty & Silverfox

• Miya
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 04:12:56 PM »

Enjoy every moment :luv:

Mel