Author Topic: Snoopy has toe cancer  (Read 788 times)

Offline pinkmarshmallow

• Benji and Snoopy!
Snoopy has toe cancer
« on: January 30, 2024, 10:39:04 AM »
Morning.  Last week was told Snoopy, 6.5 years old had cancerous lump between 2 toes (back leg).  Taken him to vets tohave it removed this morning and vet rang to say it’s also more over to one of the middle toes and needs to lose it.  So upset.  He first had a lump, the groomer noticed, back in November and was treated with antibiotics and Metacam for 5 days.  Seemed that it reduced and his hair grew over and, hate to say it, but forgot all about it with Christmas etc.  Feel bad, as groomer then found it again first week of this month.  Took him to vets and here we are.  Does anyone have any advice on best aftercare etc as been warned that he’ll be lame for a while.

Have already got my older dog, Benji, 9 years old, who had op for IVDD 2 years ago and thought that was bad with 10 weeks crate restriction.  Just feeling overwhelmed ( plus I’m full of cold with sinus infection)!  Roll on 2025  ph34r

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Snoopy has toe cancer
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2024, 09:52:56 PM »
Oh heavens Hayley, So sorry to hear that, poor Snoopy (and poor you!) You’re certainly earning your colours in cocker nursing! 😢 No advice unfortunately but sending lots of good wishes for Snoopy, hope he‘s back on his paws again soon.
Lots of  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: from me and of course tail wags from Humph‘ for the boys!
xx :luv: Jayne

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2024, 08:21:31 AM »
Sorry to read about Snoopy  :luv: don't have any advice except probably keeping the area clean and dry as I am sure you know anyway.

Sending some  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: for you.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2024, 08:04:20 PM »
Poor snoopy, and poor you. That is very unlucky.  Could you use a baby sock to cover the dressing, and a dog boot for extra coverage. That would allow for trips to the garden for toileting.

Offline pinkmarshmallow

• Benji and Snoopy!
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2024, 09:24:20 PM »
Snoopy has had his foot redressed today and it appears the infection is still there and so more antibiotics and to carry on with double dose of painkillers.  Again I’ve been warned that it’s going to be a long haul ph34r.   He’s coping very well bless him but does whimper now and then. 

Hi Jayne.  I know my nursing skills are coming along rather too quickly!  Nice to hear from you and hope Humphrey’s running around as only Humphrey can! Benji’s like a greedy mad thing at the moment and thinks he’s 2 again >:(.  He’s on max medication and regular physio!    They’ve completely changed roles - Benji all over the place and Snoopy now poorly. 

Thanks Mudmagnet and ejp for your messages. Really appreciate them. 

I’m now the proud owner of so many size waterproof boots that I may set up shop!  With all the bandaging his foot/leg is in, I had to order the XL boot (for a 9kg cocker!) Unfortunately it’s so tender for him that he would not let me put the Velcro around.  Back to the plastic bag and elastic band every time he goes out.  x

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2024, 08:33:36 PM »
A pooh bag is a multi purpose item, if it works for him, that's what counts.  :luv:

Offline Gentle soul

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2024, 11:37:42 PM »
Awww Pink, so sorry about your snoopys toe. And poor Benji, totally understand , what you are going through.

Only advice I can give having been through it with Chester, is love, patience, and time will do the rest. When you get through it, and you will I'm sure, lots of happy times to be had. This will strengthen your bond for each other, and tgat is a positive from all your going through.

Big hugs to you all from me and the family.

Take care

Offline pinkmarshmallow

• Benji and Snoopy!
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2024, 08:23:11 PM »
Thanks Gentle Soul for your kind words.  Sorry that you’ve had to go through it with Chester.  Snoopy has amazed us with his capability of charging around on 3 legs when he wants to, ie. getting excited about food times!  He’s been redressed again and apparently the infection looks better.  Back in on Tuesday to the vets.  Benji’s getting jealous of all the attention being poured on Snoopy which is causing his mischievous/intelligent side to come out even more.  It’s mentally draining trying to think 2 steps ahead him, let alone playing nurse to Snoopy! 

Again thanks all for making me feel less alone in this uphill struggle to keep my boys healthy and happy! x

Offline pinkmarshmallow

• Benji and Snoopy!
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2024, 09:06:53 PM »
Update:  Cancer completely cut out!  So pleased.  Now we’re battling with this particularly nasty infection.  He’s on his 3rd lot of antibiotics and still no walks.  Still bring cleaned out and redressed every 2 days.  He’s being so good and his tail hardly stops wagging in the vets.  Unbelievable.  Thanks all for being there

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2024, 09:19:31 PM »
Update:  Cancer completely cut out!  So pleased.  Now we’re battling with this particularly nasty infection.  He’s on his 3rd lot of antibiotics and still no walks.  Still bring cleaned out and redressed every 2 days.  He’s being so good and his tail hardly stops wagging in the vets.  Unbelievable.  Thanks all for being there

That’s good news!! So glad he‘s taking it like a true cocker!  :shades: - it always amazes me that no matter what they have to endure at the vets, they don’t seem to harbour any ill feelings  :lol2: I always get the feeling that Humphrey knows he’s being helped.
Benji‘s obviously set Snoopy a good example, what brave little troopers they both are  :luv: :luv:
Hope the infection clears up soon so he can join his big brother on his walks!
Hugs and waggy tails from me and Humph‘

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2024, 11:48:39 PM »
Thanks for update of better news. They certainly are brave little souls  :luv: :luv:

Sending some  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: for you all.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2024, 07:24:33 PM »
Such a relief that the cancer has gone.  I hope they can get the infection under control soon, he is such a brave boy. :luv:

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2024, 09:51:33 PM »
Hope the infection is clearing up and he's back to normal very soon.
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2024, 10:06:00 PM »
Lots of hugs to Snoopy :luv:
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline pinkmarshmallow

• Benji and Snoopy!
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2024, 10:10:37 AM »
Sorry not getting back sooner.  Snoopy’s all repaired now and going around ok using his ‘dinosaur’ foot!  Although still wrapping it up for when he’s outside for now.  Thanks for all good wishes, now Benji’s going in for blood test tomorrow.  (My vets have got me a camp bed with them!)  :005: