Author Topic: show/working cocker  (Read 2109 times)

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Re: show/working cocker
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2010, 10:24:58 PM »
Sorry if i am confusing every one yes think he is half and half, the breeder we got him off stated that when the mother has pups they usually end up more of a show cocker

But if the dam is show strain and she'd been mated to a worker the resulting pups are going to be half and half, they can't be more show - what a bizarre thing for the breeder to say.  :dunno: Why was she using a worker as a stud to her show strain anyway, did she say ?

Dam SC CH which is same....

I'm not sure if I've misunderstood you here but I very much doubt that any breeder who had a Sh Ch would mate their bitch with a Working Cocker ( just as someone with a FTCH bitch wouldn't mate her to a show Cocker). Tbh going from the info you've posted it doesn't seem like this breeder is a good one at all I'm afraid.  :-\

Your pup is very cute though and I hope you have a long and happy life with him - but you will need to be prepared for him potentially needing a lot more mental stimulation than a show Cocker. That's not to say that show lines are always less lively but generally speaking Cockers with close working lines in their pedigree will likely need to be given direction for their natural energies.

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2010, 10:34:17 PM »
My blue roan, Louie, is 1/4 worker, his mum was 50:50 show:worker, dad all show.  Although he looks a lot like his dad, his working drive is soooo much greater than the other 3 who are all show strain.  That's not to say they can't give chase to poor Lou and be in the thick cover with him but Lou needs to be there and hunting EVERY time you go out for a walk.  As Karma said above, forewarned and preparation are definitely the key to keeping ahead of the game  ;)

I imagine that the breeder must of meant that the pups usually look a bit more show type rather than working, unfortunately I wouldn't like to predict that the genes follow suit

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline Duke

• Duke now 10 months
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2010, 10:44:26 PM »
Thanks for all the info, looks like i havn't chose a good breeder, he does show more strain in a worker... Anyway he loves :luv: me and i love :luv: him no matter what ............

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2010, 11:08:02 PM »

It's probably best to forget the breeder and move on, it's also good you asked the question while he's still so young as it will make you more prepared. Quite a few COL members have show/working Cockers, many more have full workers and they'll be more than happy to give help on what's required if need be.  :shades: