Author Topic: Top knot, or not...  (Read 3486 times)

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
Top knot, or not...
« on: February 23, 2013, 05:46:42 PM »
Pearl has a long top knot that has never been cut - she's almost 2. 

At times she looks like Kevin and Perry with quite a defined parting but I've noticed it is becoming really long and very fine fur. 

She was spayed in July last year so I've been expecting her to get woolly which she doesn't seem to be. 

Also, the top part of her ears are the same - its more like cotton wool than fur and gets rags every day - which she hates being taken out.  I generally wait til she's sleepy on the settee next to me, letting me play with her ears, then sneak the matt spitter out ;)

So the question is:  do I persevere and wait for another couple of months to see if its winter fur / shedding [do dogs do this or is it just cats?] or go for it and give her a proper show cocker clipped head and 1/3 ears?  Would really appreciate your views/ thoughts on this, thank you,

Jayne
x

Offline GeoW

• Donator
  • Maurice, Jan, and William (Prince of Orange)
Re: Top knot, or not...
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 06:00:19 PM »
Hi Jayne, the smooth domed cocker top does it for me every time, it's nothing to do with winter and I don't think it will change naturally.

You will have the opportunity to compare the two styles on Sunday, when William will show you his super smooth dome. ;)

cheers,

M

Offline Nicky C

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 06:03:07 PM »
I must confess I am a topknot fan, would love to seea photo!

Offline MidwifeTori

• Hudson
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 06:06:34 PM »
I would also love to see the said top knot !! I think I like these :) ...

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 06:11:13 PM »
I must confess I am a topknot fan, would love to seea photo!

have a look on the "Today I haf bin a silly girl" thread, think its page 6 - photo was taken just before posting the picture!

Maurice, thank you, will have a good look at William on Sunday!  Best excuse ever for a cuddle ;)

Offline Nicky C

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 06:18:52 PM »
 :luv: aww Pearly you are gorgeous, my vote is for the top knot to stay. Molly agrees with me but she says she'll leave home if I make her wear a jumper  :005: :005:

Offline LynneB

• a pile of dogs
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 06:27:12 PM »
Smooth head for me, but as a show person, it needs to be
Laelia Showdogs and Groomers

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 06:42:28 PM »
I'm a huge fan of top knots :luv:. I have the best of both worlds, as Brodie's gets shaved off every six weeks. It soon grows back though!

Before:

After:

x In memory of Barney x

Offline Nicky C

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 06:46:21 PM »
Oh my Brodie your top knot is utterly gorgeous  :luv: :luv:

Offline MidwifeTori

• Hudson
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2013, 06:47:51 PM »
I love these pics and the one of pearl - think I'm going to let Hudson have a top knot !

Offline lynnruby

• Donator
  • Ruby
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2013, 07:04:52 PM »
I don't think she'll shed it Jayne.  I have the same dilemma with Ruby (2 years old)  I have trimmed it myself a couple of times as she had a definite parting and it was starting to get in her eyes.  She goes to a groomer about every 8 weeks, but I have always told her to leave the top knot.  I am thinking that next time I might ask the groomer to take it off  :dunno:  She looks so cute with it  :luv: OH thinks she would look like a proper Cocker without it  :huh:
Lynn

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2013, 07:11:20 PM »
Smooth head, showing the dome, is what it's all about for me Jayne.  Pearl is a gorgeous girl, top knot or not.  :luv:

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv:

Offline HelenS

• Donator
  • Cupar
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2013, 07:16:13 PM »
Awe I love top knots  :luv: Wish Cupar had one instead of his smooth dome heed  :005:

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2013, 07:18:52 PM »
I maybe speaking out of turn  ph34r but i find top knot lovers are "generally" new cocker owners,i was one once that hung on to Rubys top knot even when she was cut quite short and i must say she looked quite ridiculous  :009: as i just couldn't bare to part with it.It's rather like taking your first born child for it's first haircut,you just don't want to do it  :P

I bit the bullet when she was around 2 i think and have never let it grow since although i do like her shaggy look before she is clipped, to me a cocker should have a smooth head BUT this is only my opinion and each to their own.

I will try and find a photo of Rube with a short back and sides but long on top....

(Though there is something about princess Brodies top knot that just brings out her diva-ness  :005:)
People laugh at me because I'm different, but I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Offline Nicky C

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2013, 07:25:22 PM »
I maybe speaking out of turn  ph34r but i find top knot lovers are "generally" new cocker owners,i was one once that hung on to Rubys top knot even when she was cut quite short and i must say she looked quite ridiculous  :009: as i just couldn't bare to part with it.It's rather like taking your first born child for it's first haircut,you just don't want to do it  :P

I bit the bullet when she was around 2 i think and have never let it grow since although i do like her shaggy look before she is clipped, to me a cocker should have a smooth head BUT this is only my opinion and each to their own.

I will try and find a photo of Rube with a short back and sides but long on top....

(Though there is something about princess Brodies top knot that just brings out her diva-ness  :005:)

I must confess that my Rusty's top knot wasn't cut in her entire life - she passed away at the grand old age of 15 with her top knot intact !  Hopefully my sweet Molly grows a lovely top knot too!  :005: