Author Topic: Grooming/brushing  (Read 839 times)

Offline Josie81

Grooming/brushing
« on: March 16, 2013, 07:05:31 PM »
Hi,

I am just wondering if anyone else finds it impossible to groom their pup? My Alfie is now 5 months old and he still doesn't allow me to brush him -all he wants to do is try and eat the brush and be silly. My attempts always result in me being covered in scratch and bite marks from me trying to stop him. Being brushed/groomed is also something that is required for his puppy class training, and Alfie is the only pup who has issues with grooming. I am wondering, as I've already asked, if anyone else has this problem? I am also looking for ideas on how to stop this behaviour.

Thanks in advance for any advice/replies. :)

Josie xx

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
Re: Grooming/brushing
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 07:08:51 PM »
When Riley was much younger I used to give him a stag bar , he would chew on that while I brushed him on the floor, it wasnt easy THEN I got a grooming table, what a change. He has no room to move about on it,
I started off with smearing the odd bit of peanut butter/primula on the chrome arm of the table, which he would lick , it got less and longer between.
He know stands or sits on the table for 15 mins each day while I brush him.

You could start with putting him on a table at first, they really change then , I find it calms them down, plus they have no where to run off to.

Offline Josie81

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 07:10:13 PM »
I am not sure why 'class training' has been made into a link?? I am just wondering if the moderators can remove this as I am not sure why this has happened and I am not sure how to remove this?? Thanks x

Offline Josie81

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 07:16:06 PM »
Thanks for the reply and advice, Jane. I will try the table method to see if that helps. :) I have tried giving him a toy to play with whilst I'm trying to groom him, but the brush is far more interesting.

Josie xx

Offline Pip C

• Zac
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 08:18:30 PM »
Zac gets brushed every night in front of the fire. It sends him to sleep,  then I can manhandle him into any position to brush him and check him over.  He loves it. :D

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 09:08:24 PM »
Archie is exactly the same. I was utterly convinced this would be the thing that stopped him passing his bronze KC Good Citizen. I just persevered by doing little bits every day and distracting him with bits of chicken. He now tolerates a little bit of brushing and quite likes being clippered but the hair dryer is an absolute no no and don't even think about scissors! I have resorted to keeping him clipped short but I'm still not sure why he let me brush him with no quibbles for his bronze  ;)

Offline BeeBoo

• Buckley
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 11:30:56 PM »
Definitely do it on a raised surface...have the lead on the puppy (so they know it's ''being well behaved time; not playtime'') and something VERY tasty to shove under the cute wee nose....!! Like Jane says, a bit of paste to last a while - either in a Kong or not - or something frozen maybe, the novelty will distract from the ''brush is toy'' thing...

My 5 1/2 mo will NOT allow me to brush him on the floor or sofa, but he's a dear angel when I lift him ontop of his crate or a table. I often give him a Kong, or just stagger the biscuit giving  :D

Offline Macette

• Lexi
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2013, 05:47:54 PM »
I have discovered the ironing board, I was having trouble until I put Lexi on the ironing board, what difference it made, give it a go and see what happens.....

Offline Josie81

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2013, 09:06:13 PM »
Thanks for the replies everyone. :) I will definitely give your advice a try. Alfie has managed to pass his Puppy Foundation award this weekend, which I am really pleased about -luckily the grooming part of the assessment didn't matter at this stage, but I think it will matter for the next stage.