Author Topic: First Grooming on Wednesday....  (Read 482 times)

Offline HoneyG

First Grooming on Wednesday....
« on: February 25, 2013, 02:14:51 PM »
So Honey (8 months) is booked in for her first grooming on Wednesday.  She was supposed to be done in January but the original groomer had an operation on her hand and thought she would be back to work, but when she started back work it was too much too soon.  So then I tried to find another groomer, and wanting to go on recommendation...this was the first date the diary!

It seems that in the last few weeks she has just grown more fur like it is goign out of fashion!!  And reading other threads I am nervous how she will be...

She does let me brush her (although does sometimes see it as a game and tries to mouth me, or bite the brush!)  But worried if she will stand still for the groomer (I am hoping that as a professional it will be nothing she hasn't seen before!)

Honey has some matts now in her elbow joints and behind her ears. I have been brushing but can't seem to get rid of these...  does that mean she will have to be cut short?

I planned to have her coat taken short on her back, a good trim of her feathers, short underneath. But want to keep her gorgeous curly ears and her chest and tail (will that look odd??)

I will talk it through with the groomer, but wanted to go in knowing a few options.

Right now - she resembles chubaka from star wars!!

any tips before the grooming session?  Would it be better for her to be excercised before to calm her down, or would this make her too tired for the grooming?

Should I give her a slightly smaller morning feed so extra can be used for treats during grooming?

Any tips welcome!!

Thanks

Beki and Honey

Beki (and Honey!)

Offline lettie10

• Jazz & Bailey
Re: First Grooming on Wednesday....
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 02:53:32 PM »
Hi,

I have just got back from the groomers and have had both my dogs done.  I have used this groomer since we first had Jazz but this was Baileys (8mnths) first proper groom.

She is a very fearful/anxious,nervous pup so I was really worried that she would not be able to be done properly as it would be too traumatic for her.

She was pulling back on her harness not wanting to go in but eventually walked in with the lady (there are 2 of them that work together).

I asked her to giver her a smooth head, keep the feathers on her legs and skirt but clip around her feet (they were hugely fluffy :005: :005:) and a smooth body.  Keep the cocker ears full and tail feathery too.

Not all matts have to be cut out but your groomer will advise of this.

they called me after 3hrs to say they were both ready (Jazz 20mnths loves being groomed :D) so off I went to collect.  Walked in and all was quiet (no barking...a good thing) and the groomer told me she had been perfect no problems at all :luv: :luv: :luv: after I had spent the last 3hrs worrying so much.

All in all it was a great success and she looks so grown up now...I love it

Groomers deal with dogs of all temperaments and you will probably find she will behave perfectly as Bailey did (she has to be bribed at home to be brushed :005:)

The strangest part is going back home and the house being so empty without the pooch

Edited to add have posted some before & after pics in thread "Smooth & Sleek"
"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."

Offline HoneyG

Re: First Grooming on Wednesday....
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 03:52:38 PM »

Groomers deal with dogs of all temperaments and you will probably find she will behave perfectly as Bailey did (she has to be bribed at home to be brushed :005:)

Oooh, hope Honey is as good as this!!!  Will look at your pictures now :)
Beki (and Honey!)