Author Topic: Please advise  (Read 494 times)

Offline LinziS

• Erin
Please advise
« on: March 07, 2013, 05:00:20 PM »
Well have finally plucked up the courage to try the coat king on Tilly ....up until now always used the comb and elastic band method and she has been trimmed bu a groomer too.
I cannot believe the amount of fluff that has came off her back with just a few strokes.
What I really need to know is where to use it ie only her back or can you use it all over? And how often etcThe coat king is a 20 blade( hope that the right one). I don't want her looking like a shorn sheep but the wobble look really has to go too  :005:
Also have a  spratt 76 ...do I use that daily and again where on her body.
Never had to worry before as Erin has always been clipped short as she very wooly and curly and suits it too...would like to maintain Tilly looking like a proper cocker.

Thanks for all advise in advance

Linzi

My dogs are heartbeats at my feet

Offline SophieBlueRoanLover

• Sophie Carr Photography
Re: Please advise
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 06:32:35 PM »
Not sure if this is the "proper" way, but I've used it on the back (but make sure you don't just go over and over the same bit - move it around and stop once the fluff stops coming out!), on the legs (couldn't believe how much I got out, and continue to do every time I use it, about once a week), on the ears (inside, as well as a bit of snipping, and also on the outside to thin some of the fluff), back of the head (my dog had masses of hair at the back of his head that really weighed him down and looked ridiculous), top of his head (thinned out his mop a bit, and also used thinning scissors), and a bit on the neck and brisket. I have a 26-blade one, but others have the 20-blade - their efficacy depends on your dog's individual coat.

I use the Spratts 76 comb on his ears and to tease out knots. I use a normal cheap wire brush to brush his legs and undercarriage (which he's not keen on), and thinning scissors and normal hairdressing scissors to snip out knots and trim the facial and neck hair (leaving the whiskers and eyelashes, of course!).

I also can't believe how much fluff comes out. It is quite addictive, so don't go on for too long. As it's so easy, you can always do more the next day if it looks as if there is more fluff. Do you have before and after photos?

Offline LinziS

• Erin
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 07:24:24 PM »
Thank you so much...helps a lot.
Tilly is also really fluffy at the back of her head and around her neck so hopefully this will help. Not sure if I have the courage to go near her with scissors especially around her face...she never sits still >:D.
Will get some before pics and then after I ave due fluffed her post up the results.
I do give her a good brush everyday with a slicker but it seems useless.

Thanks again

My dogs are heartbeats at my feet

Offline SophieBlueRoanLover

• Sophie Carr Photography
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 08:27:59 PM »
I highly recommend Primula cheese in a tube - has transformed doing anything to Henry! You barely have to squeeze any of it out either, he just gets obsessed with it and lets us do anything! Good luck with the grooming!

Offline Abbi

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 10:47:34 PM »
Is a coat king better than a furminator? I've never got much out with our furminator but maybe that's just Abbi's coat. She's not really very fluffy.