Author Topic: 1st haircut  (Read 786 times)

Offline nj.kingston

1st haircut
« on: March 19, 2013, 08:54:45 PM »
Maggie is 5 months old and we think it's almost time for her to have her 1st trim and nail clip.

1. Is she too young?
2. What do you look for in a groomer?
3. What should you expect to pay?

Offline theshrew

Re: 1st haircut
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 11:38:54 PM »
The sooner the better to get them used to it.

I do mine myself now since i now have 2 and the hair grows so quick. I couldnt do a show type cut mine just get zapped with the clippers short and tidy. I was paying £30 each but that was from a girl at her house for the same thing.  From a pro groomer your talking £50+ around here.

I just looked at it as if i would be happy leaving them with the groomer and then if they did a good job for the price.

Offline PopPops

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 12:27:08 PM »

Been thinking the same thing as Pops is turning into a woolly mammoth, and took her to talk to a local groomers today. They do £15 for a puppy groom which is for dogs under 6 months, and which is more about getting used to being bathed and dried and the place itself. I would not be allowed to stay, which I'm not hugely happy with as really don't want her to have a bad experience, but was told that they'll stop when she's had enough and not push on through the process regardless, and that I can be in the vicinity so long as I'm not in Pops' sight. Hard, isn't it? What's causing problems by being over cautious, and what's responsibly not leaving a quiet puppy who tends to freeze when stressed to be overwhelmed because she looks like she's being good?

I was advised that they don't like to cut puppy coats until about 10 months as it affects the coat long term? Need to find out more about that. Not sure we can wait quite that long or she'll disappear from view behind all the fluff! 
Pops the Womble: November 2012 to February 2017. Forever loved and missed Poppet.

Offline jonnytrabant

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 04:04:26 AM »
Harry had his first clip at 3 months, not because he needed one, just to get him used to it. Pets At Home do a puppy cut for £15 and he was absolutely fine and I believe it does stand you in good stead.

Offline Sharpie

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 07:46:01 AM »
Daisy had her first experience at 15 weeks...just a wash & blow dry to get her used to it.

Was £20..they took great care of her and it was in a Pets at Home groomers where I could see what was going on. They gave me a tour round to make sure i was happy.