Author Topic: Do you groom them yourselves?  (Read 2859 times)

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
Re: Do you groom them yourselves?
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2013, 09:20:08 PM »
I just watched the Youtube video too.  Very interesting...but wondered about the use of clippers under the throat/neck?  Would that be acceptable in a show dog or would trimming with thinning scissors be better? 
I groom and trim (finger strip) my own dog, but am very novice and want to get it right...or as good as I possibly can!  I don't think I will have the chance to show my lovely little Bo...but even if I don't...I want him to look right! 
I really enjoy grooming him myself, and I think he enjoys the attention! 

I think you are 'supposed' to use thinning scissors, but if you do it with the clippers make sure it's blended in. I use the clippers, I also use them for the top of his ears and blend in with scissors too.
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2013, 10:46:58 PM »
Both of ours are groomed /trimmed at home. As others have said there is an outlay of a few hundred pounds for a good clippers, an extra blade or two, grooming table etc., but that is soon recouped and break even should be within two years, or sooner if you have more than one dog.
I've not had any problems as such with using groomers but I just have a feeling that Milly and Chaz are more comfortable with being groomed by me and it allows me to adopt a "little but often" approach to their grooming rather than a visit to the groomers every few months.

Bob.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2013, 10:20:48 AM »
I watched this the other day - although not a cocker I think the process/blades etc are fairly similar to grooming a cocker (please correct me if I'm heinously wrong   ;) )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poP6oS0Kx6w
helen & jarvis x

• Donator
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2013, 12:18:18 PM »
I watched this the other day - although not a cocker I think the process/blades etc are fairly similar to grooming a cocker (please correct me if I'm heinously wrong   ;) )

I'll watch it when I'm home :).

Have you tried your clippers yet Helen?  :005:

• Donator
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2013, 12:21:24 PM »
Both of ours are groomed /trimmed at home. As others have said there is an outlay of a few hundred pounds for a good clippers, an extra blade or two, grooming table etc., but that is soon recouped and break even should be within two years, or sooner if you have more than one dog.
I've not had any problems as such with using groomers but I just have a feeling that Milly and Chaz are more comfortable with being groomed by me and it allows me to adopt a "little but often" approach to their grooming rather than a visit to the groomers every few months.

Bob.

Charlie was petrified 2nd time I took him to the groomers, whether he was scared or just didn't want to be left (clingy) I don't know. But it was so upsetting watching him. I now do him at home and we are both much happier this way.

My grooming table is a god send so even if I didn't do him myself I'd still have it...I have straight scissors, which I'd need even if I didn't do him myself (feet trims) - the only extras I've bought are thinning scissors and clippers...the rest I use anyway - so looking at it that way...(clippers and thinners only) then it's the equivalent price of taking him to the groomers just 4 times!

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2013, 02:58:49 PM »

Fairly informative video, but pretty drastic in places  :o
When she was clipping the throat and ears she was using a #10 blade. Going against the lay of the coat with this blade will take it seriously short. Even if you did the throat, I certainly wouldn't clip the outside of the ears upwards against the growth.

For anyone new to clipping I wouldn't suggest using a #10 blade in this way, as I think you'd be shocked by the results.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2013, 04:50:27 PM »
I take it you haven't seen the violent coat king video on YouTube Michele?  That one will make you wince  :lol2:

I'm not a groomer by any stretch of the imagination as you know - the only information I can get really is from the internet.  I neither want a 10f blade in my life or need one with my scruffy working cocker so admit I didn't even watch that bit - to be honest I feel the 7f cuts scarily short!!!  I just watched the bit about clipping the back and sides  ;)

Are there any video's on YouTube that you would really rate as a groomer?

Have you tried your clippers yet Helen?  :005:

Yes, we're not quite playing Thomas the tank engine with the tram lines but there are a few there   ph34r it was an ok first attempt.  (I only clipped his back - strangely although his back can be horrendously fluffy his feathering isn't and he very rarely matts - not even his ears - so I can get away with thinning scissors for the rest). 
helen & jarvis x

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2013, 06:57:43 PM »
My comments were directed at the video Helen, and I agree even a 7f can seem a bit drastic at first. I found her style typically American, even the show trims vary hugely over there to here. ;)

I've seen the coat king in the bath on YT, is that the one you meant?  

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2013, 08:11:40 AM »
My comments were directed at the video Helen, and I agree even a 7f can seem a bit drastic at first. I found her style typically American, even the show trims vary hugely over there to here. ;)

yep - scary :fear2:
helen & jarvis x

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2013, 09:55:56 AM »

yep - scary :fear2:

I think the YT video is very scary but there is no need to be as heavy handed and in principle it does seem to work quite well on Ellie my blue roan who isn't clipped.

Word of warning - I know that it is usual to clip the ears part way down for a show trim (obviously not something you do for the workers), but I would avoid it as once clipped there's no going back and it seems that once you clip the ears then it is far more likely to become very curly - I tend to clip the head only and go around the ears and underneath.
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2013, 10:19:49 AM »
Word of warning - I know that it is usual to clip the ears part way down for a show trim (obviously not something you do for the workers), but I would avoid it as once clipped there's no going back and it seems that once you clip the ears then it is far more likely to become very curly - I tend to clip the head only and go around the ears and underneath.

It's usual in the US to clip the ears for show dogs but NOT in the UK. Good advice though as you're right, there is no going back once ears are clipped - when we had Celia who came to us from the US with clipped ears, I tried to let them grow out so I could trim them UK style with finger/thumb and/or thinners and it didn't really work that well although I did my best.
Jane

Offline Rae

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2013, 11:29:29 AM »
I really appreciate everyone replying, reading this thread with interest  :D
~

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2013, 12:18:47 PM »
Getting a pair of clippers has given me massive respect for groomers   :D

a) to get the pressure right so there are no tram lines and trim is even is HARD.  I think I'm a bit scared as well I so am trying to do it 'lightly' which is probably why it looks a little bit dodgy

and

b) my hand really ached after just doing J's back so I couldn't imagine doing a whole dog, or 5 or 6 in a day  :shades:

If I had to clip him all over I would take him to a groomer that I trust rather than butcher him completely  :lol2:  Or maybe get a groomer to clip him a couple of times a year and in between times clip myself following the method the groomer used.  This is speaking for myself - you're all probably far more adept than I am  ;)

Although between Nicola and I with our grooming attempts on Tilly we could open a fantastic grooming parlour - probably named "Poorly Plucked" or "Bald spots r Us"  (Still it's not that warm yet so wearing an equafleece until it grows could be acceptable :fear2: )
helen & jarvis x

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2013, 12:26:54 PM »
Before I groomed them myself I used to help the groomer that did Misha & Roly as she disliked using a noose and prefered to have a a person hold the dog.  She would always do an initial clip to get most off and then bath the dog, blow dry which helps the coat stand up and the clip again to get a smoother finish.

I used to do this, but with 3 to do this it would take a day, so I don't bother so much with the bathing bit as give a few days the  mistakes start to grow out/blend in a bit   :lol2:

Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

• Donator
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2013, 12:30:29 PM »

Or maybe get a groomer to clip him a couple of times a year and in between times clip myself following the method the groomer used.  This is speaking for myself - you're all probably far more adept than I am  ;)

This is what I do, I take him to someone every 4 months or so and every 2 weeks between I trim him so he always looks neat and tidy (he has a show cut). But it also means I can try it myself and if I make a mistake, it can be fixed so it's not the end of the world.

Also once you get the hang of it, you'd probably need to take them less and less.