Author Topic: nail clipping  (Read 9535 times)

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
nail clipping
« on: August 12, 2002, 04:38:19 PM »
My pup is five and a half months now and her nails need clipping. She scratched me last week on the neck and left painful claw marks (which have now cleared). Until then, I hadnt realised her claws were quite so sharp.

The nails are black, which makes me wary of attempting it myself due to being unable to see the kwik (however it is spelt!) ... but i want to give it a try, if I can. Any tips on how I go about it/what to use, from those of you who do this yourself?                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
nail clipping
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2002, 05:07:37 PM »
I use ordinary "human" nail clippers on young puppies when the nails are quite thin but as they get older, I use "doggy" nail clippers - you can get them at most pet stores. Start by just taking the pointed ends off first - if you do nails little & often there's less likelihood of you taking so much off that you cut into the quick. Most good pet stores also stock powder to put on nails should they bleed (eg Quick Stop) so it's worth getting a pot in just in case, though you shouldn't need it hopefully :)                    
Jane

Offline Michele

• Site Member
nail clipping
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2002, 10:11:30 PM »
My pup is five and a half months now and her nails need clipping. She scratched me last week on the neck and left painful claw marks (which have now cleared). Until then, I hadnt realised her claws were quite so sharp.

The nails are black, which makes me wary of attempting it myself due to being unable to see the kwik (however it is spelt!) ... but i want to give it a try, if I can. Any tips on how I go about it/what to use, from those of you who do this yourself?

So Mike, did you have a go at doing Daisy's nails ???                    

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
nail clipping
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2002, 09:32:21 AM »
yes. though I didnt clip much off them as i was a bit wary, plus she was a bit wriggly. Well actually she was a lot wriggly :D The next time i do them I'll be a bit braver. The older she's getting, the more comfortable (i.e. well behaved!) she is with being groomed (brushed, etc). Phew!                    

Offline Fran

• Site Member
nail clipping
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2002, 10:03:43 AM »
Hi Mike,

I was as nervous as you about clipping Suzies nails.  I brought nail clippers months ago and still have not used them.  Eventually this week I took her down to the local groomers.  She had her first wash, cut and blow dry and  nail clipping which cost £26.00 which I think is good value. (and she looks lovely!).

Fran.                    

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
nail clipping
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2002, 10:25:04 AM »
Are we going to see a picture of her soon?  ;D

Yes I think Daisy is due a visit to a groomer very soon. She's still got her puppy coat though, and it's so thick and woolly. I want to try hand stripping her myself eventually.

Is it okay to use a normal hair dryer on a dog, anyone? AM wondering if it might be a little too hot for them...                    

Offline FionaM

• Site Member
nail clipping
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2002, 10:28:57 AM »
Hi Mike

I've used a normal hairdryer on Poppy but have always used the cold setting. If you have it too hot I think it can dry out the coat (think I read that somewhere)

Poppy now hates the hairdryer and runs away and hides under a table whenever she sees me pick it up to dry my own hair  ::) I'm going to have to get her used to it again for those cold, wet, winter morning walks

Fiona                    
Fiona & Poppy :)

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
nail clipping
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2002, 11:15:15 AM »
I cant imagine Daisy behaving with a hair dryer, especially on the cold setting!!  :o                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
nail clipping
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2002, 12:15:39 PM »
Is it okay to use a normal hair dryer on a dog, anyone? AM wondering if it might be a little too hot for them...

Yes it is but as previously mentioned, not on the hot setting & ideally, you should introduce puppies to hairdriers from an early age so they get used to the noise. Most people don't do this so they end up with dogs who run a mile when they see the drier come out :) Most will accept it eventually but you have to persevere - no giving up if they don't like it & no comforting them if they seem scared (this just makes them worse!) If you are going to use a hand-drier on a dog, you may need a pretty powerful one or the whole process will take you hours (most Cockers having a lot more hair than the average human) I used to use a Babyliss Professional model before I upgraded to a special doggy drier - this had plenty of "oomph" & various heating settings. I still use it now & again for sensitive dogs that don't like the noise of the dog drier.                    
Jane

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
nail clipping
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2002, 01:31:35 PM »
You know, I dont even think there's a hairdryer in the house  :o

I'll test her, and report back. She's okay with the hoover, so you never know!  ;)

(the noise of the hoover I mean, I dont go around using the hoover ON her  :D)                    

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
nail clipping
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2002, 03:40:43 PM »
Back to the nail clipping - I know several people who can't get on with clippers so use a dremmel or other similar tool and file the nails back. I've toyed with the idea of one of these as I do find that clippers can sometimes pinch the nail while cutting and can hurt them a bit - plus - Cockers are great wimps anyway -  ;D

Pam n the boys                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Michele

• Site Member
nail clipping
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2002, 05:44:31 PM »
You know, I dont even think there's a hairdryer in the house  :o

I'll test her, and report back. She's okay with the hoover, so you never know!  ;)

(the noise of the hoover I mean, I dont go around using the hoover ON her  :D)

Now why haven't you got a hairdryer Mike? ;D
Don't you dare be tempted to switch the hose on the hoover from suck to blow :o

Re using a file on nails. When Georgia was a pup she absolutely hated the nail clippers so I bought a 'foot file' for rough skin from The Body Shop. Its just like an outsize emery board, and although its a slow process I found it worked well :)                    

Offline LouiseH

• Site Member
  • Lourisma Moon Quest
    • Lourisma Cocker Spaniels
nail clipping
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2002, 01:39:25 PM »
Every grooming session, usually twice a week for my lot, I get the nail clippers out and 'pretend' placing it round the foot area (but not over the nail) and clipping away, I find this gets them used to it then it's not such a big thing when it comes to clipping them for real.  ;D
They are used to it so accept it as normal. Also my 7 week old pups have already had theirs done 3 times, so they never really get a chance to remember the first ordeal........                    
Louise Harrison
Lourisma Cocker Spaniels

Offline Inca

• Site Member
nail clipping
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2003, 10:38:21 PM »
Can anyone give advice/opinions on nail clippers please. I would be interested to hear whether you prefer the guillotine type or ordinary nail clippers and which are the easiest to use.

Sandra                    
Sandra, John and Inca

Offline Michele

• Site Member
nail clipping
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2003, 11:23:38 PM »
Hi Sandra,
Personally I prefer the guillotine type as I think you can be more accurate over how much nail to clip off. I do have a pair of the other type but only tend to use those on dogs who have very thick nails.
With the guillotine clippers I always insert the nail so that the cutter is furthest away, this way you can take a bit at a time. Handy esp. for black nails.
hth ;D