Author Topic: nail clipping  (Read 9537 times)

Offline Inca

• Site Member
nail clipping
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2003, 11:47:00 PM »
Thanks Michelle

We have both types but were just interested in others preferences.

We have just bought the guillotine type from Diamond Edge and have only used them the once.

Sandra                    
Sandra, John and Inca

Offline Katina

• Site Member
    • Kennel Pretty Flower's
nail clipping
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2003, 07:27:32 PM »
I also like to use the guillotine type. I clip the nails(or pretend to clip if there's nothing actual to clip  ;D) once a week from very early age(usually at 8weeks of age when  I get the puppy from the breeders). I also wash my dogs at least twice a month (of course more often if there is a lot of shows about) and blow dry them after that. I find it a lot easier to get the puppies used to the washing(if they are not dirty I use only water, otherwise shampoo and conditioner), grooming etc things straight from the beginning as there is a lot less to fight with ;).

Mike: a good tip I got from my girls breeder to clipping black nails, is that put your dog on her back, and sort of slide the clippers under the nail, when the clippers "stop" (the nail starts to curve) it's safe for you to clip.
(please excuse my bad english, I hope you understood at least half of it ;) )                    
There's only one, -but that one is a lion

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
nail clipping
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2003, 06:26:46 PM »
Lotties claws aren't sharp but I have no idea whether they need clipping or not. ???  She is nearly 5 months now.  She walks to school and back twice a day (approx. 1 hour per day) on the pavements, so is this enough to keep her claws down or should I think about getting them clipped. :-  I don't think I'd feel comfortable doing it myself and I've a feeling she will not be very cooperative ::)                    
Mary & Lottie x

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
nail clipping
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2003, 06:33:32 PM »
Mary, it doesn't sound like Lottie needs her nails clipped. Mine have never had them done but they do quite a bit of walking on pavements which keeps them filed down nicely :)                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
nail clipping
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2003, 06:39:06 PM »
That's reassuring...thanks Gill ;)                    
Mary & Lottie x

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
nail clipping
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2003, 06:43:02 PM »
I did Buttons when she was little...with baby nail clippers...I do check them...but they don't need to seem doing :-