Author Topic: All in one shampoo and conditioner  (Read 1272 times)

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
All in one shampoo and conditioner
« on: August 13, 2013, 08:37:22 AM »
Is there such a thing for dogs? If so, does anybody have any recommendations please.

I don't use a groomer, which is fine when it comes to clipping, hand stripping, scissoring etc. but I find bathing William and Louis difficult. They're very good about being bathed but I have to bath them in the shower and by the time I've shampooed and rinsed then conditioned and rinsed my poor old back and knees are pretty much seized up from kneeling on the floor and leaning towards them to do the bathing. The result is a towel dried Cocker doing the zoomies round the bedroom while I struggle to my feet before blow drying said zooming spaniel :005:

What I'd like is an all in one shampoo and conditioner so that I can do the bathing in half the time. It doesn't have to be medicated or a flea treatment or capable of removing loads of mud, just easy to use, mild and skin kind.

I currently use Groomers evening primrose shampoo and Groomers tropical fruit cream conditioner.

Offline Emilyoliver

Re: All in one shampoo and conditioner
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 09:19:23 AM »
Only thing with those 'all-in-one' shampoos is I find they don't clean properly.  I do, however, use a human shampoo occasionally on my dogs  ph34r which has oil in it (Mythic oil).  Saves adding the conditioner if/ when am pressed for time, and works wonders on their feathers.  But usually use separate shampoo and conditioner.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 11:48:02 AM »
What about a leave in conditioner, you could shampoo , rinse then towel dry then spray on and dry.
I use ice on ice leave in conditioner every day and after a bath.

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 12:48:17 PM »
What about a leave in conditioner, you could shampoo , rinse then towel dry then spray on and dry.

good idea there :)

MD10 do a decent spray on conditioner (it's expensive though) >:(
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 12:49:57 PM »

I have the md10 but to this day dont know if that was sparked the allergy to riley so dont want to risk again :(

Offline BeeBoo

• Buckley
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 02:48:54 PM »

Offline JohnK

• Donator
  • Produced for Minnie, Dennis and Rosie
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 03:13:32 PM »
Is there such a thing for dogs? If so, does anybody have any recommendations please.

I don't use a groomer, which is fine when it comes to clipping, hand stripping, scissoring etc. but I find bathing William and Louis difficult. They're very good about being bathed but I have to bath them in the shower and by the time I've shampooed and rinsed then conditioned and rinsed my poor old back and knees are pretty much seized up from kneeling on the floor and leaning towards them to do the bathing. The result is a towel dried Cocker doing the zoomies round the bedroom while I struggle to my feet before blow drying said zooming spaniel :005:

What I'd like is an all in one shampoo and conditioner so that I can do the bathing in half the time. It doesn't have to be medicated or a flea treatment or capable of removing loads of mud, just easy to use, mild and skin kind.

I currently use Groomers evening primrose shampoo and Groomers tropical fruit cream conditioner.

Elaine, I can just picture it, funny thing is, that just sounds like me too  :005: :005: :005:

I use I (heart) Pet Head duble dipping with mango and Orange, which I bought from Pets Corner (the heart I think means love)

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 04:34:06 PM »
I only bath mine once in a blue moon, I think Ro hasn't had a full bath in about 2 years and Caoimhe gets maybe one a year but Tilly gets the occasional one plus spot washes because she's terrible for wallowing in mud and rolling in anything disgusting she can find. I found this range in our local country store and bought the Knot Sure which is a detangling spray with conditioner, the Dirty Dawg no-rinse shampoo and the Fox Poo shampoo for when she really stinks :005: It all smells gorgeous and works really well, Tilly's ears and feathering are a nightmare for matting but the spray keeps them really silky and the no rinse shampoo is handy for spot cleaning all of them. From what I can see most of their shampoos have conditioner in them as well so could be worth a try.

http://www.animology.co.uk/retail.html
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Holly Berry

• Donator
  • Today I’m going to be a b****r
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 04:39:20 PM »
Never heard of an all in one. Don't know whether it would work as you need to remove all soap residue from coat otherwise it results in a dull coat.
You could try adding a conditioner to the 2nd shampooing and see how it goes, but have a feeling in order to get the soap out all the conditioner would go as well.

I've used the spray on coat conditioner from Groomers with mixed results. The main downside is the smell, nice for us, but my 2 aim for the nearest fox poo after application :005:

I don't know how often you bath them but I have the same problem with my back and knees, so I invested i one of these http://www.splendidpets.co.uk/shampoo-bathing/dog-grooming-baths/the-mini-booster-bath-dog-bath-for-small-dogs?zenid=tbqo4u235htm0tmit5mmstp1p3. I use mine outside as water will splash outside the bath but if you have a wet proof room then it would be ideal. It's about waist high so no bending  :D
Rosie Cassie Lucy Poppy and Holly My Angels at the Bridge

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 05:25:41 PM »
Lots of ideas, thank you :D

I already have a spray on conditioner from Groomers, but it makes me and William sneeze and Louis sneezes then heads for the first available pile of horse or fox poo >:(, a bit like your 2 Holly Berry.

This afternoon I made an impulse purchase of Pet Head Life's An Itch shampoo while stocking up on chicken feet  :020: and other dog delicacies at a local pet supplier. I'll look for a less perfumed spray on conditioner and see if all of us can cope with the smell.

I also had a brainwave (sort of). The shower cubicle is a quadrant one and very big, and although both dogs are good about being bathed they tend to stand in the furthest corner from me, which doesn't help my back. I've got one of those little plastic stepstools that us shorter people find handy for getting stuff off high shelves and I reckon it's just the right size to block off the furthest corner of the shower cubicle so that the dogs can't get too far away from me. Every little helps :005:

Offline Holly Berry

• Donator
  • Today I’m going to be a b****r
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 05:55:01 PM »
If your shower cubicle is one of the 1200mm size, the dog bath should fit in it. Alternatively you could always strip off and sit on the stool in the shower with the dog  :005:
Rosie Cassie Lucy Poppy and Holly My Angels at the Bridge

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 05:58:41 PM »
If your shower cubicle is one of the 1200mm size, the dog bath should fit in it. Alternatively you could always strip off and sit on the stool in the shower with the dog  :005:

You've probably just put everybody off their tea Holly Berry, me included :005:

The dog bath in the shower is a very good idea though. I'll be doing some measuring this evening :D

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013, 09:10:37 AM »

I agree, MD10 is fab, I have the shampoo (silky) and spray on conditioner which doesn't need washing off when mixed to the right consistency