Author Topic: worst grooming ever!!  (Read 3132 times)

Offline Sarah/G

• Donator
Re: worst grooming ever!!
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2013, 09:58:47 PM »
Oh Pat, I really am sorry to hear this.
Jinley always looked so well groomed, I can understand how angry you must be.
I also do groom Brodie myself, but might not be any use as he sports the hairy mammoth look, complete with Ugg boots xxx
Sarah & Brodie.

www.whatthewoof.co.uk       "Now live"

Offline Carolynleah

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2013, 08:48:05 AM »
I used to trim Nerys myself, but after she was spayed her hair became so thick and woolly I really couldn't do it well!  So I took her to a groomer recommended by my son, who does exactly what I ask for.  The first time she rang me just to check what I wanted ~ Nerys is docked, which I didn't like (I didn't get her till she was 1) so I asked her to leave the curly hair a t the end of her tail, not to shave her ears and to leave a skirt.  She comes back looking and smelling gorgeous so it is well worth the money.

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2013, 12:41:43 PM »

There are also reasonable guides on youtube :) I've been using them recently to be a bit braver with my trimming.

There is a great video, but it's in spanish but you can get the idea from it - it was posted on here. I can get the link when I'm home as I've saved it as a favourtie.

the link would be great thanks

I "think" this is it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgIYrBSNWKo

I can't see it at work to confirm it, but I'm 99% sure it is the right one.
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2013, 04:04:43 PM »
Thanks that is great, I will take a look if only to prevent the bald eagle look next time!!

Offline Holly Berry

• Donator
  • Today I’m going to be a b****r
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2013, 04:13:56 PM »

Definitely going to give it a go and keep her trimmed myself in the future.  My SIL has some clippers and she can do between her toes for me.  But will no doubt be asking for some advice on here.

My OH says there is only a few weeks difference between a bad haircut and a good haircut!!  Lets hope so!!

Advice freely dispensed on here - just ask  :D

And your OH is right!  Best advice I had from my breeder (who shows) was 'don't panic whatever you do - it grows back'  :005:

When I first started, my OH would only take them out in the dark  ph34r
Rosie Cassie Lucy Poppy and Holly My Angels at the Bridge

Offline Jan D

• Roxy & Bobby
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2013, 04:20:03 PM »
This video is fascinating Emma - I have working cockers but I still find it really interesting to watch - that cocker is so good!!
Roxy b.19.05.10  Bobby b.21.08.11
My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dogs think I am.

• Donator
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2013, 05:12:56 PM »
This video is fascinating Emma - I have working cockers but I still find it really interesting to watch - that cocker is so good!!

It's great, I'm fascinated at how quickly he cuts, snip snip blink done!

It's a good video, even just for learning how to trim feet, or trim tails.

Offline lynnruby

• Donator
  • Ruby
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2013, 12:38:17 PM »
I've only just seen this Pat (haven't been on much for the last few days)  :shades:  As you know, we have had a few bad grooming experiences  >:D and it's horrible when you give specific instructions, then the groomer does the opposite  >:(

Well, I finally "bit the bullet" and invested in my own grooming equipment  ;)  After watching a few videos (they make it look sooo easy!) and lots of great advice and encouragement from some fellow COLers......... thanks Bob and Emma  :luv:  I had my first attempt on Saturday  :huh:  It took me 5 hours  :o which included a bath, then a whole hour drying her!!

She doesn't look brilliant, but then again, she doesn't look too bad for a first attempt.  Well, she still "sort of" looks like a Cocker  :lol2:  I still haven't tackled her feet (waiting for OH to be around again to aid and abet  :005:)  I'm sure I'll get better in time....  :dunno:  and at least now, I can be in control of what is or isn't done  ;)

Maybe you could have a go at doing Jinley yourself?

Lynn

• Donator
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2013, 12:53:02 PM »
I've only just seen this Pat (haven't been on much for the last few days)  :shades:  As you know, we have had a few bad grooming experiences  >:D and it's horrible when you give specific instructions, then the groomer does the opposite  >:(

Well, I finally "bit the bullet" and invested in my own grooming equipment  ;)  After watching a few videos (they make it look sooo easy!) and lots of great advice and encouragement from some fellow COLers......... thanks Bob and Emma  :luv:  I had my first attempt on Saturday  :huh:  It took me 5 hours  :o which included a bath, then a whole hour drying her!!

She doesn't look brilliant, but then again, she doesn't look too bad for a first attempt.  Well, she still "sort of" looks like a Cocker  :lol2:  I still haven't tackled her feet (waiting for OH to be around again to aid and abet  :005:)  I'm sure I'll get better in time....  :dunno:  and at least now, I can be in control of what is or isn't done  ;)

Maybe you could have a go at doing Jinley yourself?

I've found that since I know the basics of what to do now, the videos are really useful. They were a little advanced for me to begin with, but I bit the bullet a few weeks ago, and did more  :D

Offline lynnruby

• Donator
  • Ruby
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2013, 01:40:00 PM »
I did find the videos useful Emma, it's just that they make it look really easy..... a bit like when you watch someone do a beautiful painting or decorate a cake   :lol2:
Lynn

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2013, 08:21:09 PM »

It took me 5 hours  :o which included a bath, then a whole hour drying her!

It took me that long on my first attempt and that was without the bath and drying  :005:

What i do now is bath and dry her on one day and the next day she gets a pavement walk in the morning so she doesn't get filthy then after her groom she gets the off lead walk.
People laugh at me because I'm different, but I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2013, 08:54:43 PM »
I found the video useful, but I think I will be dealing with it in bite size pieces!

I didnt want to go down the route of using clippers and was hoping to tackle it with thinning scissors and straight scissors to start with.

I think the most difficult thing to manage is all of the swirls around her shoulders and deciding where to finish blending down to chest between her front legs. :dunno:

Then the other problem is her skirt which has been cut straight making her look like a box! >:( So will look for some pictures on that to see if I can put a bit of shape into it.  Then she has little swirls and quiffs that stick out from the skirt making it look like a famous Farrah Fawcett Majors hair cut!!

I have a very large breakfast bar that she is happy standing on a rubber bath mat on so I am sure she will cope with a little and often.

• Donator
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2013, 09:06:40 PM »
Bite sized pieces will be the best anyway, neither of you want to get bored and fed up.

Give it a go with the blending, it'll sorta make more sense when you are actually there with the scissors.:).

You don't need clippers, thinners will work the same, clippers just give a more consistent length and they are quicker, but both do the same job.

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2013, 09:11:38 PM »
People laugh at me because I'm different, but I laugh at them because they are all the same.