Author Topic: Advice needed for Tillys ears, not sure what to do....  (Read 1298 times)

Offline butterflywings21

• Tilly 10/02/2013~Jenson 09/01/2019
Advice needed for Tillys ears, not sure what to do....
« on: November 29, 2013, 08:37:10 PM »
I'll see if I can keep it short and to the point.......Poor Tilly has had her ears clipped very short.................
At the groomers today we found at the bottom of her ears (both sides and same position) small hard dry skin that seems very dry and slightly cracked.  No matts at all and only slight dry skin on the rest of her ears.  She did have dry skin when she was younger but her diet and oil has sorted her skin out.
She is wet feed on either naturediet or naturemenu. Her ears do not bother her.  Didn't know if it's because her ears always seem to be wet as she loves going in every puddle and long wet grass she can find.  When you think they are dry they are not and then outside she goes again and the cycle begins again. 

What i'm asking is. 1) what do you think it could be 2) what should I try and treat it with before heading to the vets on Monday.

It's at the bottom of her ears (longest part hanging down) on both sides and is around 1/4 of an inch in size.

Any more info please ask and Ill describe.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: Advice needed for Tillys ears, not sure what to do....
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 09:18:18 PM »
Based on what you've said, and if there's no infection there and she's not scratching the area, I think I'd be inclined to treat the dryness for a few days and see if it starts to improve rather than heading to the vet.

I've just started to use coconut oil on dry areas on my own skin as I bought some after being recommended to add it to my dogs raw diet, then decided I didn't really need to. I know of lots of people who use it on their own skin and their dogs skin too as a soothing moisturiser. Another soothing one I've used on the dogs before is Calendula Cream, which you should be able to find in Boots. I've got sensitive skin but I don't have any reaction to either coconut oil or calendula cream, whereas aloe vera makes my skin itch, although it's often recommended as soothing.

Offline butterflywings21

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 09:29:54 PM »
thanks for that, will find some tomorrow. didn't know if I should bath it with HIBISCRUB solution as well, or just let it air dry and cream.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 09:43:32 PM »
You could give it a clean with diluted hibiscrub in case the area is dirty, but if there's no infection I think I'd stick to moisturising it after that. It's hard to say without seeing it, but that's my best guess :blink:

Offline butterflywings21

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2013, 09:47:14 PM »
thanks, she was bathed today so her ears are 100 per cent clean. and like I said they don't bother her. they remind me of crack heels that people get !!!! will get the cream and see how we go.

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2013, 10:08:19 PM »
Is it actual dry skin or maybe acculation of dander and wet food, combined with ears being wet often?  My dogs get a sort of crusty residue at the bottom of their ears (especially if I haven't combed their ears out regularly enough). In the case of my dogs, it can be washed out carefully and combed out using a spratts 76 comb or similar. It looks and feels worse than it actually is, and I took Emily to the vet when she was a puppy as was worried about it.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline butterflywings21

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2013, 10:14:10 PM »
defo dry skin, as she was groomed today and we couldn't get it out and looked like it might bleed if muck about with too much. Her ears are groomed daily.  it is very flaky and dandruff looking and you can see a crack in the ear. just strange how it's on both ears and in the same place. Where the ears touch the ground when her nose is to the floor.

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2013, 11:11:34 AM »
I wouldn't use hibiscrub if they are not infected. It will dry the skin out more.
Sounds like they just need some moisturiser. Dry them thoroughly when they get wet
and hopefully they will get better.
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline butterflywings21

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2013, 11:32:54 AM »
Thanks everyone. Just been to tesco and got virgin coconut oil. Will start that. X x

Offline butterflywings21

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2013, 05:39:59 PM »
Well, poor Tilly :luv:. Took her to the vets as she had started to shake her head.  She has a mild yeast infection in the tips of her ears so she has Hibiscrub to use twice a day.  Her ears inside look fine so the shaking is because of the infection on the tips.  The coconut oil had worked because they are not as hard and she is allowing me to touch them again, but the Hibiscrub should help speed this up quicker.  Another reason the keep her ears cut short.