Author Topic: Show Dogs  (Read 1208 times)

Offline sarah25

• Site Member
  • Charbonnel Love'N'It At Oramiss
    • Oramiss Cocker Spaniels
Show Dogs
« on: June 03, 2005, 11:05:49 AM »
hello i need help,
i no tht you shouldnt use a coat king on show cockers but people who show there dogs have said its still ok to use them but also people people who show aswell have said tht not to use it.
i used a  coat king on a non show golden ret (my own) an noticed tht the texture of the coat feels funny.
our pup harvey has been doin really well but we think tht his coat its letting us down its so fluffy an his got soo much coat so has his dad.so we have been handstripping him every 2 days but it doesnt seem to be doing anythink it still looks the same we have been using the glove an a very fine comb on him.
his still fluffy but the breeder said tht it needs to come out
soooo is it ok to use a coat king 1s a week or is it still a no no !!
any advice would be great or any more tip
thankyou  :)

Offline flossysmum

• Limited Member
    • Abilou Cocker Spaniels
Show Dogs
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2005, 11:26:46 AM »
Hello,

I wouldnt advise you to use a coat king on a puppy as in 12 mnths it will look really bad.It would be ok to use one on an adult dog tho as the coat has matured. It would be better handstripping the coat as it looks better :)
xxx Love Abi, Flossy, Charlie, Amber, Bertha and Ginny xxx

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Show Dogs
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2005, 11:53:17 AM »
I don't agree with using Coat Kings on show Cockers, puppies or adults ;) Sorry I know a lot of exhibitors do use them & that's their choice but they will ruin some coats forever & so for me, it's not worth the risk. Those exhibitors who are renowned for their immaculate presentation don't use them at all but it's entirely up to you Sarah ;) I think probably you are not getting enough coat out of your puppy because you need to use more welly than you think when using the Spaniel comb or finger & thumb. Have you tried winding an elastic band through the teeth of a comb, then using it to pull through the puppy fluff? Some coats do take longer to be ready for stripping than others so you may just need to be patient - it will be worth it in the long run :)

Jane
Jane

Offline chelsea

• Site Member
    • http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk
Show Dogs
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2005, 12:08:14 PM »
When Jenny was about 5 and 1/2 months old and had alot of puppy coat, I stripped her coat out everyday untill I ended up with a smooth finish.It suprised me that it only took 3 days to get her 'fluffy' coat out.
Peggy was the opposite. Her coat was not ready to pull out until she was about 10months old, so looked like a big black cloud (so my auntie said!) :lol:  :rolleyes:
Although blacks do tend to have thicker, and alot more coat than the parti-colours, whichever colour; coat isn't necceseraly ready to come out straight away.
Like Jane said, you might need to put more 'wellie' into stripping. ;)

How old is Harvey?

Hope you sort the difficulty out. :)

Chelsea. x

Offline sarah25

• Site Member
Show Dogs
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2005, 04:07:10 PM »
thanks everybody for your advice
harvey is 8 months an has loads of champ shows booked mom keeps on sayin well you dont see them takin a puppy out al fluffy.

we have tried the comb an the elastic band wrapped round.

we was thinking of buying a dry coat (think thts wot its called )to see if tht helped
i think it may take a long time to get his coat nice an smooth like jennys chelsea  :D

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Show Dogs
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2005, 04:26:11 PM »
harvey is 8 months an has loads of champ shows booked mom keeps on sayin well you dont see them takin a puppy out al fluffy.
[snapback]130145[/snapback]
She never saw Ruby as a puppy then :lol: She was a fluffy teddy bear for ages but if I'd have got the Coat King out, her coat would have been ruined. Siani also had a fair bit of fluff until she was about 9 or 10 months old. Not all puppies are shown fully stripped out as babies although I know it must feel that way sometimes :D

Jane

Jane

Offline KellyS

• Site Member
Show Dogs
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2005, 10:59:13 PM »
I have this problem on Ginny's back legs, there is so much hair on them, and I look around the ring and think, noboby elses puppy is this wooly!!! But it is not ready to come out yet, rather than break the hair or hurt her, I have had to leave it for the mo....  

Tempting as it is to reach for the coat king, I would rather wait than ruin her coat for good.  I use the coat king on our pet cocker and her coat was lovely and flat to start with but  has definately come back through more wiry.
Kelly & the Keladity Klan

Visit our website
www.keladitycockers.co.uk
Dogs laugh but they laugh with their tails! - Max Eastman

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Show Dogs
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2005, 07:55:58 AM »
the coat king ruined Jaspers coat! I was impatient and encouraged to use it so I did. Looked terrific the first year or so. Then as he got older you could see the result of using the coat king. His coat is unruly and will not lie flat. He has loads of fluffy stuff and the stronger coat is very wavy - not tight curls but big curly waves.

Buddy went into the ring as a puppy looking like a pom pom but he did OK and I didn't coat king him. His coat is lovely.

I have used it very lightly on Buddy since though and his coat is still fine - but what I can tell from using it is that Buddy's coat comes out fairly easily with the tool and his coat lies flat of it's own accord. The coat king doesnt cut Buddy's coat. Jasper's coat is very different to Buddy's and the coat king most definitely cuts his as it doesn't come out as easily as Buddys. Jasper has a lot more fluff on his back than Buddy does. So if you have a fairly heavily coated dog then the coat king may help you in the early days but won't in the long run.

Coat kings are fine for pet dogs but if you are serious about showing Harvey seriously then patience and welly are what you need.
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Show Dogs
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2005, 11:15:45 AM »
Coat kings are fine for pet dogs but if you are serious about showing Harvey seriously then patience and welly are what you need.
[snapback]130370[/snapback]
I'm confused!  :blink:

If the Coat King "ruins" the coat - why is it OK for pet dogs? I don't want to use it as a short term solution only to end up having to clip him later in life because  the coat king has made his coat impossible to manage  :unsure:

HELP!!
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Show Dogs
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2005, 11:21:29 AM »
[snapback]130370[/snapback]
I'm confused!  :blink:

If the Coat King "ruins" the coat - why is it OK for pet dogs? I don't want to use it as a short term solution only to end up having to clip him later in life because  the coat king has made his coat impossible to manage  :unsure:

HELP!!
[snapback]130387[/snapback]

it ruins the coat for a show dog. Both Jasper and Buddy were shown - they haven't always been purely pets. You can use the coat king on a pet dog maintaining the show look - but it wouldn't get past a show judge!

Doesn't mean you'll end up having to clip at all - never said that! But you have to be prepared for the coat to become a bit more curly and fluffy which means you'd have to use to more often that's all.
Pam n the boys

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Show Dogs
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2005, 11:27:36 AM »
Thanks Pammy - I had visions of Molo returning to the fluffy puppy stage in a year or two, and his coat being totally unmanageable  :blink:

I have started using a comb with a band threaded through - this seems to leave a better finish that the coat king, anyway  :)

Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Show Dogs
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2005, 12:09:41 PM »
Thanks Pammy - I had visions of Molo returning to the fluffy puppy stage in a year or two, and his coat being totally unmanageable  :blink:

I have started using a comb with a band threaded through - this seems to leave a better finish that the coat king, anyway  :)
[snapback]130392[/snapback]

It will as that does pull the coat out and does not cut so you will get a much better finish :D
Pam n the boys

Offline sarah25

• Site Member
Show Dogs
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2005, 12:24:26 PM »
thanks for all your advice guys  :)
ive decided tht the coat king is stayin in the grooming box
cuz we dont want to ruin harveys lovly coat been handstripping him a lot more now an i can see it improving already  :D
just hope its ok for the cocker spaniel club champ show  :)
thanks for all your help
xx