Author Topic: yet another grooming question....  (Read 3018 times)

Offline hilhames

yet another grooming question....
« on: March 31, 2014, 04:16:11 PM »
I have been very bad.  I have never really groomed my golden puppy.  I do pull out the matts v gently by hand and she doesn't mind - I am for ever petting her all over and hopefully catch most of them early
I had a bristle puppy brush that she used to just bite and then I lost the brush.  Now got a brush that looks like this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Dog_brush.JPG but have never used it
 Had Chloe groomed for first time last month and groomer recommended a Zoom Groom - do people like these and do they do for everyday brushing - then I use the wire type one occasionally as well?  Also what sort of comb would be best?  Am going to be going to groomer regularly  so its just a case of keeping her coat tidy between visits.  I admire all of you that do all the grooming yourself but I can barely look after my own hair let alone start on a dog!
There seem to be puppy and adult zoom grooms etc - what would be best for a nine month old puppy who is handstripped?
Many thanks

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
Re: yet another grooming question....
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 04:40:33 PM »
The brush you have is a slicker brush.

I use a comb as I found the slicker missed too many tats. I can post a link when I'm home.

However, I bought a grooming table and it's made grooming so much easier. It's a small table so it keeps them still, and as they are raised its easier to get the comb in everywhere.

I've never heard of a zoom groom, butif you are just tidying between groomer visits I'd just stick to the brush or comb, especially if your pup is stripped.
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 05:38:45 PM »
Grooming tables are a great, I struggled to brush Bea between going to her groomers, she would wriggle and walk off, now she has no choice but to stay put :005:

I use 2 different combs on her feathers, one wider than the other as these do find the knots better than a brush, I then use a slicker brush all over.

Bea is clipped on top and under her arm pits and has the usual feathering.

Offline airyfairy76

• Site Member
    • Facebook page: A Spaniel's Tail
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 05:47:36 PM »
I still need to get a grooming table...

Zoom Grooms are rubber so can be good at getting out dead fur.  My parents used one on their bichon frise, but I haven't tried one on Lottie. 

My arsenal of tools for just regular coat maintenance is a slicker, a comb with rotating teeth (meant to be better for getting out knots) and a coat king which also works great as a knot remover. 

Have been shown a couple of times how to scissor, but haven't tried it yet.... One lopsided cocker coming up :)

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 06:06:10 PM »
My weapons of choice are a grooming table, comb with rotating teeth http://www.groomers-online.com/product.php/1119/karlie-small-rotating-teeth-comb, a comb with a rubber band threaded through it (used carefully helps to remove a lot more dead hair than an ordinary comb or a slicker brush), finger cots http://www.groomers-online.com/product.php/704/finger-cots-pack for hand stripping, scissors for trimming paws and thinning scissors for thinning.

I use all of those on Louis, who is hand stripped. I use the rotating teeth comb and scissors plus clippers on William who is partly clipped. His coat remained silky for about a year after he was castrated at 15 months but then became woolly and impossible to hand strip.

Offline airyfairy76

• Site Member
    • Facebook page: A Spaniel's Tail
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 06:11:25 PM »
That's the other thing I need to get - some gloves for stripping.  And some StripTech powder which is amazing! Breeder demoed it to me when I last visited when I was huffing about Lottie's head not stripping.  All of a sudden, effortless :D

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 08:22:27 PM »
That's the other thing I need to get - some gloves for stripping.  And some StripTech powder which is amazing! Breeder demoed it to me when I last visited when I was huffing about Lottie's head not stripping.  All of a sudden, effortless :D

I have normal marigolds

But I struggle to grip but I found strip tech plus a comb with elastic band work well for me. I wouldn't use both often though.
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 10:27:09 PM »
As said above a zoom groom is good for getting dead coat out or even massaging shampoo in. I liken in to a rubber curry comb used for horses and is basically used for the same purpose.  ;) I use a soft slicker brush and a greyhound comb, which is a long thin comb with teeth all the way down. I also never brush my dogs without my trusty Ice on Ice conditioning spray.  :shades: I spray first then use the brush to gently loosen. Then I get the comb and work right through the coat. Making sure to get right in and right to the ends. Then I spray again and a last brush to finish. Strip tech powder is wonderful stuff, also is the comb with elastic band for stripping. I also use finger cots which are basically just the fingers of latex gloves. I don't get on with the whole gloves as find I can't grip well as they don't fit snuggly enough and also they dry my hand out. Only thing I will say about the stripping powder or chalks is I only use them when I need to get a lot out and only when I am going to bath it out within a few days as I don't like to leave things like that in the coat for long. Hope that helps.  :D
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx

Offline hilhames

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 11:30:29 PM »
am exhausted reading all this.  Does a grooming table fold away?
What size comb with rotating teeth do I need - small or large ?.  Maybe my slicker brush is okay but I wouldn't describe it as 'soft' (someone said they use a soft slicker brush)  it feels quite scratchy having just tried it on my hair....but have to say groomer said it was ok... Maybe a zoom groom is useful but doesn't sound as though anyone uses or that it would be good for knots.   I would like to be able to get knots out plus make Chloe look as though she has been brushed and isn't just  a ragbag.   Not sure how much she will tolerate but must try (with the aid of treats of course!)
And how often do people do all this grooming ? 
Chloe will be £30 now she has had first massive 3 hour groom and that will be every six weeks.  But I am lucky to be able to afford it and I just want to be able to do what is necessary in between.
It sounds as though this ice on ice stuff is good and presumably dogs happy if it doesn't smell
Chloe smelt utterly wonderful when she came back from groomer I could have sniffed her all day. But whatever was used did smell and so I don't know that Chloe liked it.   Actually she was so exhausted she slept for 4 hours - this is a dog who now does her best not to go to sleep during the day!
Thanks for all the help everyone!

Offline hilhames

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2014, 11:43:02 PM »

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2014, 08:01:21 AM »
Totally wouldnt be without my table, it does make things so much easier .
I spray my ice on ice first then gently use my universal slicker brush I then go over with my comb.
Rotating karli one same as elaines, also used the spratts come on some parts of him, then another finish with ice on ice which keeps the coat soft and silky constantly, its fab stuff :)

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2014, 10:05:54 AM »
Some Slicker brushes are harsher or softer than others. I prefer the gentler softer brushes in their coats, but that is just personal choice. The comb is called a greyhound or greyhound type comb. If you google them they should come up. Basically a comb with teeth all the way down. They come in all different lengths. The ice on Ice spray is from Chris christienson and doesn't really have a smell as such. It is simply a leave in conditioning spray. If you are seeing a groomer I would suggest speaking to them about it as they should be able to advice you best knowing your dog and coat. They will be able to advice what is best to do between grooms and what with.  :D

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2014, 10:58:56 AM »
Some Slicker brushes are harsher or softer than others. I prefer the gentler softer brushes in their coats, but that is just personal choice. The comb is called a greyhound or greyhound type comb. If you google them they should come up. Basically a comb with teeth all the way down. They come in all different lengths. The ice on Ice spray is from Chris christienson and doesn't really have a smell as such. It is simply a leave in conditioning spray. If you are seeing a groomer I would suggest speaking to them about it as they should be able to advice you best knowing your dog and coat. They will be able to advice what is best to do between grooms and what with.  :D

What soft slicker do you use sarah? Looking at replacing mine as Its seen better days.

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2014, 12:04:07 PM »

What soft slicker do you use sarah? Looking at replacing mine as Its seen better days.

At the moment I use a Lawrence soft Tender Care Slicker. I am looking at maybe getting something else, but would still want it to be softer than some of the harsher ones. I also have a groomers own I think it is hedgehog brush which is very gentle and doesn't have metal teeth and tips to those teeth. Will try to find you links. :)

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2014, 12:10:32 PM »

At the moment I use a Lawrence soft Tender Care Slicker. I am looking at maybe getting something else, but would still want it to be softer than some of the harsher ones. I also have a groomers own I think it is hedgehog brush which is very gentle and doesn't have metal teeth and tips to those teeth. Will try to find you links. :)

Ok this is the slicker I use. It basically has more give under the teeth and as such is not as harsh.

http://www.groomers-online.com/product.php/1164/lawrence-tendercare-slicker-brush?gclid=CPeqvZOSv70CFXMRtAodAyoARQ

And here is the hedgehog brush. I love this one and use this on Tally as he has a sparser coat and as such I am more careful with his.  ;)

http://www.groomers-online.com/product.php/249/ancol-hedgehog-brush