Author Topic: From clipping to Mars Coat King - advice please  (Read 1313 times)

Offline Xensgirl

• Site Member
From clipping to Mars Coat King - advice please
« on: May 21, 2014, 08:48:23 AM »
For the past few months I have stopped using clippers (except for down chest area/tops inside of ears etc) and started using a Mars Coat King.  Its been an on going process as I have had to let the clipped coat grow out first.

Even though my two are pets they are show type - and I much prefer the natural look the Coat King gives I must admit - I also didn't like all the tiny sharp bits of hair the clippers left in their coats. My bitch has been spayed and my boy neutered and he has a very profuse coat, I can sit and watch it grow especially this time of year!  I have heard that neutered Cockers need to be clipped not hand stripped - is this correct?

Both of their coats are pretty fluffy too which I know is due to neutering.  However they are both on Nutriment Raw and their coats have improved no end, very silky and shiny - the food does contain Wild Salmon Oil (I can't recommend it enough to be honest).

I'm just about there now with the coat growing out of the clip - and the Coat King is doing its job well, their coats are nice and short down their backs but don't look it (if you know what I mean). 

The problem is I have bits of hair sticking out here and there that the Coat King is not taking out and I don't know how to remove them.  I don't know if pulling them out with finger and thumb is the answer or a stripping stone for these bits.  Someone recommended a stripping knife?

I'm pretty new to this hand stripping even though I've had Cockers for years and have shown years ago - but we used a stripping stone all over the back in those days - I know they are not used so much now.

Any ideas on how to get these bits of hair out?  Would appreciate your input, thanks!!

Offline aljeana

• Mollie Magpie
Re: From clipping to Mars Coat King - advice please
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 01:29:39 PM »
Can you post a picture so that we can see what area of the coat you are having problems with.

Depending how long the coats have been clipped & sometimes the colour of the coat will depend on how good a result you will get.

I have 3 bitches that are spayed 2 never been clipped but use a combination of coat king, sprats comb & thinning a scissors. Their backs are really quite nice but I use thinning scissors on their front legs they would not strip out but I use thinners & coat king & sprats comb on back legs.

My one bitch I did clip a couple of times & have manage to recovery her coat to quite nice flat & smooth but clip her  front legs & inside her back legs as so much hair growth

All my bitches are roans blue roan, orange roan & blue roan & tan their coats don't go fluffy where as solid colours such as goldens do.

You may find you may have to do a combination of coat king, thinners & clipping
Aljeana & the Baddley Pack

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 06:41:53 PM »
I agree, a picture would be good.

Unfortunately it is unlikely that you can pull any coat out due to the spaying and apparently it is very uncomfortable.

I use a coat king on Jinley and just use thinning scissors on the wayward parts, including head, legs, ears etc.  Every few months she will go for a tidy up at the groomers to put her feathers shape back in.

Offline Xensgirl

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 09:24:32 AM »

You may find you may have to do a combination of coat king, thinners & clipping

Thanks for your replies and sorry I haven't posted back before now!  Aljeana you are quite right, I ended up working over a hot grooming table for hours  :005: wetting their coats using the Coat King and still these bits of sticky out hair wouldn't budge.  I didn't think I couldn't pull it out with them being neutered. 

I ended up using the Coat King on heads, hair forward first  (worked well) but had to lightly clip down backs unfortunately but then went down their necks, shoulders and backs again with the Coat King to blend it in. Having said that, I used thinning scissors/Coat King on legs and blended feathering in with the same tools.  They still look natural and I'm not unhappy with the result although I would rather hand strip the lot - I really don't think it can happen.  My boy has soooo much coat and tends to get very hot for some reason so I had to get quite a bit of hair off him to make him comfortable. My bitch hates being groomed anyway (she's pretty feisty LOL) even though I have always been very careful, never caught her with anything or pulled a matt out and hurt her - and she's been on the table and groomed from a week after I brought her home at 8 weeks - with a soft brush of course.

So thanks again for your advice much appreciated  ;)