Author Topic: Unspayed Blue Roan & Tan coat  (Read 754 times)

Offline Janet2709

Unspayed Blue Roan & Tan coat
« on: June 13, 2014, 08:47:43 PM »
I have a 5 year old unspayed Blue roan & tan bitch and she has always been groomed at my groomers. I had to cancel appointment and now need to wait til my next appointment so she is looking like a yeti, I have been panicking as I've only ever brushed her to keep knots at bay. Her fur tends to be curly and very dense so I wondered if anyone with a similar coat/colour combination could give me some advice. I have just ordered a Mars Coat King as I've spent most of the afternoon on one ear and probably the night doing the other one now as it's odd looking with one three times thicker than the other! Lol. She is very patient with me so I can try anything with her that is suggested hopefully. Thanks.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Re: Unspayed Blue Roan & Tan coat
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 03:51:15 PM »
Has your girl been clipped by her groomer in the past? If so, that would account for the thick, curly regrowth. If you don't want to clip the coat yourself, then the Coat King perhaps combined with thinning scissors is probably the only way you will be able to thin out some of the excess coat. Your girl's specific coat colour probably isn't too relevant - a blue and tan is not really any different to a blue roan when it comes to coat texture/density etc. There will be lots of variations, some will have much thicker coats than others. I've owned and trimmed blue roans and blue and tans - all different really, some with nice, easy coats and some the opposite :D
Jane

Offline Janet2709

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 08:53:25 AM »
She has always been hand stripped by my groomer since her first session luckily. Will try the coat king and see if her coat improves, perhaps she is just thick coated then. Her coat has always curled especially when wet. Thank you for putting my mind at rest.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 09:34:19 AM »
If she's used to being handstripped, you could try wrapping a rubber band through the teeth of a comb and use that to strip out any dead coat that is ready to come out - this method can be very effective once you get the hang of it. Coat Kings are good but they do cut the coat so you may find regrowth is even curlier afterwards - just something to be aware of.
Jane

Offline Janet2709

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 10:11:24 AM »
Will try that, thank you. Biggest problem are her ears, they are so thick and bulky. The worst that can happen is that my groomer has a good laugh the next time she sees her! Thank you for your help.

Offline Janet2709

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 03:03:49 PM »
I got the Coat King 20 blade and Spratts 76 Comb. I couldn't believe how much hair came off her! She's booked in at groomers next month so will see what they say, I might start doing myself more as I was quite pleased with the result.