Author Topic: Puppy Coat  (Read 1498 times)

Offline Vilya

• Site Member
    • http://
Puppy Coat
« on: June 22, 2005, 10:14:17 AM »
Paddy is nearly 5 months old now and has a very thick, curly coat - I am told this is because he still has his puppy coat.  I brush him daily and he is very fit and well:  when can I expect him to lose the fluffy coat and be sleekand glossy?  The way his coat is now reminds me of a cocker bitch I used to have years ago; she had been spayed and her coat went like cotton wool.
Vilya and Paddy

Offline wendy

• Site Member
    • http://www.luthame.net
Puppy Coat
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2005, 10:40:12 AM »
My black cocker has a really thick coat, he is now 12 months old and still has a lot of the puppy coat still there, however luckly it is not curly, he has his adult hair on top but the feathering still has a lot of puppy coat in it.

Wendy
Visit our new website
www.luthame.net

Dogs leave paw prints on your heart

Offline lynsay_wag

• Site Member
Puppy Coat
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2005, 11:09:09 AM »
Oscar's breeder told us he would start to lose his puppy coat around 10 months. He is now 5 and a half months and is so fluffy! Can't get a groomer's appointment til 25 july but i have to say i think he's gorgeous all fluffy. Being a blue roan his coat wont be as heavy as a solid colour dog.  :)

Offline Vilya

• Site Member
Puppy Coat
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2005, 11:42:16 AM »
Oscar's breeder told us he would start to lose his puppy coat around 10 months. He is now 5 and a half months and is so fluffy! Can't get a groomer's appointment til 25 july but i have to say i think he's gorgeous all fluffy. Being a blue roan his coat wont be as heavy as a solid colour dog.  :)
[snapback]133268[/snapback]

Yes, Paddy is a blue roan too.  He just feels the heat so much with such a thick coat.  It looks as if we have at least 5 months to wait, then.
Vilya and Paddy

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
Puppy Coat
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2005, 04:07:57 PM »
Get yourselves a wide toothed metel comb, thread a rubber band through the teeth and after brushing out tangles etc, run the comb through his coat. brings out hair thats ready to come out effortlessly. You will find some areas easier then others, dont force it, try again another day
Caroline and Alfie

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Puppy Coat
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2005, 05:18:32 PM »
Get yourselves a wide toothed metel comb, thread a rubber band through the teeth and after brushing out tangles etc, run the comb through his coat. brings out hair thats ready to come out effortlessly. You will find some areas easier then others, dont force it, try again another day
[snapback]133303[/snapback]

I did this after Caroline recommended it to me and Molo - I was amazed at the amount of hair that came out - he looked so much better afterwards IMO  :)

I've been meaning to say thats for the tip, Caroline
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Annette

• Site Member
Puppy Coat
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2005, 08:21:21 PM »
Yes we've been doing that too, it means you don't get all that loose hair lying on top of his coat just seconds after you have finished grooming!!!! And a bit less on the floor too.

Offline LoveCatz

• Site Member
Puppy Coat
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2005, 08:53:43 PM »
Our Pepsi is nearly 5 months old and very curly too! But she is gorgeous although finding the weather a tad too warm.

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
Puppy Coat
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2005, 11:03:42 PM »
[snapback]133303[/snapback]

I did this after Caroline recommended it to me and Molo - I was amazed at the amount of hair that came out - he looked so much better afterwards IMO  :)

I've been meaning to say thats for the tip, Caroline
[snapback]133317[/snapback]

Id love to take credit for the tip but it was one I picked up from here and I cant remember who posted it.

have to say its a method I prefer over the coat king. Maybe I got a duff new blade but the comb and band works a lot better

My postman keeps me supplied in elastic bands,always seems to drop a pile outside my front door :)
Caroline and Alfie

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Puppy Coat
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2005, 07:33:21 AM »
Being a blue roan his coat wont be as heavy as a solid colour dog.  :)
[snapback]133268[/snapback]

not necessarily true ;) . Some roans have heavier coats than some solids :o . This statement is prob true in general terms but not always so. Only time will tell how heavy your puppy's coat will be. Hopefully it will not be too heavy.

The puppy coat can become very very fluffy and appear rather unruly - but don;t be tempted to shortcut and clip it off. Be patient and wait for it to come when it's ready. A band through a comb does take a lot out but if the coats not ready to pull it might not work that well and pull causing discomfort - so just go steady, but do give it a go ;) .
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline sarahb2206

• Site Member
Puppy Coat
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2005, 10:34:36 AM »
Bramble is going through her very untidy stage.  She's 5 months and solid black.  I started to use the elastic band and comb and got loads of puppy fluff out.....  I have made an appointment with a groomer who came highly recommended by another cocker owner.....  She sounded a bit haughty when I spoke to her and when I told her what I was doing with the comb and band - she had a fit!!!!!!!!!  She said it splits and breaks the fur, etc,etc.......    (I've still carried on though - as you all seem to do this - even you who show!!)....   but I'm really scared now  - (big chicken) of being told off by this woman when she comed next week   :ph34r:  :ph34r: !!!!!!!!!    But I'm not going to let her near Bramble with any clippers.........     even if she just trims her legs - as they as sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fluffy - when she lays with her paws out front,  the fluff on her legs is as wide as her body!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   ....and I thought I had hairy legs!!!!!   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Sarah and Bramble XX

Offline LoveCatz

• Site Member
Puppy Coat
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2005, 08:33:32 PM »
I'm having trouble finding a groomer who will do anything but clip. Pepsi's breeder doesn't groom as a rule. The one's she has recommended are miles and miles away. Don't know if I'd be any good with a coat king.

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
Puppy Coat
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2005, 09:40:15 PM »
Dont be scared of the coat king, its designed in a way that you would have to be a complete and utter klux to mess things up -hell even i use one :)

The one bit of advice I got was not to use long strokes, rather use short ones like you would if back combing, doesnt chop the hair so much. Just work a small area at a time and dont force the issue. Within a few days you will really see a difference
Caroline and Alfie

Offline LoveCatz

• Site Member
Puppy Coat
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2005, 04:22:49 PM »
When should you start using one? Is 5 months a bit too young?