Author Topic: Knots Under Elbows  (Read 1805 times)

Offline wendy

• Site Member
    • http://www.luthame.net
Knots Under Elbows
« on: April 03, 2005, 11:20:49 AM »
I have noticed that Finley seems to get quite a few knots under his elbows - he is brushed everyday and I do brush out the knots - but they keep coming.  Is there anything that I can use to stop it happening so much.  He really hates me teasing the knots out, and I am not happy just cutting them out.

Wendy
Visit our new website
www.luthame.net

Dogs leave paw prints on your heart

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Knots Under Elbows
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2005, 02:16:19 PM »
There's no real answer I'm afraid. You could try teasing them apart with your finger nails before trying to comb them out. Because he's a solid and looks to have a fair amount of coat it might be worth gently thinning the knot then gentrly combing it out I'm sure you won't even notice  ;)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Knots Under Elbows
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2005, 02:48:51 PM »
I've started using thinning scissors on the fur under Molo's armpits - although he is a roan and *should* have a thinner coat, he is mainly black and I am sure he has the coat of a solid  :rolleyes:

I have noticed a big difference since pro-actively thinning the coat underneath his front legs - just remember to comb it out really really well after you cut - otherwise you end up with more tats than ever  :ph34r:
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Knots Under Elbows
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2005, 04:15:41 PM »
I keep the hair under Morgan and Cooper's 'armpits'  :D  really short.  You don't notice it and it is much easier to brush knots out of short hair.  Morgan gets a few tangles there even though he's brushed every day  <_<  :D
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline scooby's mum

• Site Member
  • Scooby & Misty's Mum
Knots Under Elbows
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2005, 10:23:39 PM »
I've started using thinning scissors on the fur under Molo's armpits - although he is a roan and *should* have a thinner coat, he is mainly black and I am sure he has the coat of a solid  :rolleyes:

I have noticed a big difference since pro-actively thinning the coat underneath his front legs - just remember to comb it out really really well after you cut - otherwise you end up with more tats than ever  :ph34r:
[snapback]113302[/snapback]
Never thought of thinning the hair there - I've been panicking the last couple of days cause I've been trying to comb out really bad knots under the armpits and poor Scooby had to sit with me tugging for an hour the other night.  They just seemed to appear overnight, though we have been in the woods quite a bit last week and he's been in the water, mud etc. etc. so that's whats probably caused it.

Going to thin under there tomorrow - been doing his feet tonight so I don't think he'll appreciate another session  :lol:
Love Joanne, Misty & Scooby

Offline Georgie

• Site Member
Knots Under Elbows
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2005, 09:02:55 AM »
I do what Gilly said, try and get the knots untangled with my fingers gently.
From Georgie and Bailey xxx

sweetie

Knots Under Elbows
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2005, 09:26:00 AM »
same here,thinners,then gently tease them away,although i like the idea of shirleys,might do the same,especially as you wouldn,t notice it ;) x

Offline Sheila

• Site Member
Knots Under Elbows
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2005, 07:35:10 PM »
Lottie gets knots under her arm pits too....I use a conditioner spray that helps a lot and gently tease them out.
I might try thinning there now though :)

Offline shaz

• Site Member
Knots Under Elbows
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2005, 09:06:18 PM »
have you tried clipping the arm pit area, if you do not show your dog , i do this on my dogs i do not show and it saves alot of time and pain for the dog ,
sharon  mellow,  harley , shayla and havana.
please visit my new web site
www.evanavacockerspaniels.moonfruit.com

Offline wendy

• Site Member
    • http://www.luthame.net
Knots Under Elbows
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2005, 09:09:44 AM »
Unfortunatley I show Finley so I can not cut it short, however I was talking to a friend yesterday who inform me that it will get better as a puppy's coat changes as they mature.  I must admit my golden cocker never had as many knots as Finley and he had a lot of coat due to being castrated.  

Wendy
Visit our new website
www.luthame.net

Dogs leave paw prints on your heart

Offline taniac

• Site Member
Knots Under Elbows
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2005, 11:46:29 AM »
My groomer showed me a good tip, which was to cut into the tangle with the thinning scissors and then comb through... It removes the knots easily (no sound from the dog like it's being killed) and leaves it much more natural then hacking them off with the straight scissors.

I sympathise as Neo's coat knots if you look at it, and I luckily don't have to show him!!  :)

HTH
Tania
(Neo and Jovi's Mum)

Offline Lottie

• Site Member
  • Wellington Spanacle
Knots Under Elbows
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2005, 02:52:21 PM »
It removes the knots easily (no sound from the dog like it's being killed) and leaves it much more natural then hacking them off with the straight scissors.

HTH
[snapback]114521[/snapback]

You get that noise too! Frightens the life out of me and the other dogs come running to defend poor Welly!