Author Topic: Puppy fluff  (Read 829 times)

Offline Abbie105

Puppy fluff
« on: December 06, 2014, 02:42:51 PM »
Ted is 10 months old and is a fluffy monster! He's chocolate roan . He comes back from his walks covered in mud, sticks, burrs etc and has to have a bath once a week (the water is black!). I want him hand stripped (groomer saying coat not quite ready yet). Where his neck has been stripped the hair is lovely and silky. Do you think I'm being fair to the boy? Would he be happier (and cleaner) clipped?
I don't mind the work in bathing him ( but he hates it). He does however love the hair dryer - falls asleep.

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
Re: Puppy fluff
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 03:49:18 PM »
Personally, I think if you are happy to groom him regularly, don't get him clipped.  We haven't had Pippa clipped.  She goes to the groomer's every 3-4 months for a wash and brush up plus a bit of stripping and trimming.  She gets muddy on walks but I have found it's better to let it dry and then brush it out and pick out the burrs etc rather than washing her as washing strips all the natural oils out of the coat.  It's amazing how the mud will come out with just the brush ones it has dried.  We usually give her a rub over with a towel when we get back from a walk and then a brush through an hour or so later.  Any knots and tangles are tackled in the evening when she comes up on the sofa for a cuddle and snooze.