Author Topic: Coat length and hand stripping  (Read 3927 times)

Offline Hamad

Coat length and hand stripping
« on: December 11, 2014, 10:16:12 AM »
While searching on grooming I read that puppies around 5-7 months are ready to be hand stripped, Bertie's 6 months now however there isn't much to be stripped yet, his coat is still relatively short and no where near as fluffy as most show cockers his age. Here's a picture:

I'm sure his ears and the feathering on his legs and chest will grow some more but would love to know if that means his back and sides will remain on the shorter side or if it's going to take him longer for those parts to grow? I ask because I'm planning to groom him myself and curious to know how much work will he need in the future :)

Offline 7733lily

Re: Coat length and hand stripping
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 01:03:55 PM »
I may not be of much help as my boys don't get "groomed" I just trim their feet and any knots etc
However, my golden (or as it turns out red  :005: ) boy looked very similar to Bertie at around the same age (he didn't start sprouting hair until he was about 9months old and then it was mainly his top knot).
He is now 6.5yrs and never been to the groomers (however I do like the shaggy look) as you can see (hopefully) his back is pretty smooth and fairly short.  He does have quite a substantial wig and feathers but that's it
Not sure if your boy will have a similar coat, only time will tell, but this was just to give you maybe a rough idea  :huh:

Offline Hamad

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 02:50:01 PM »
Thank you so much for sharing these pictures!

Wow his coat really does look very similar and Bertie has a bit of white on his chest too. I would love it if he ends up looking like yours, that rich shiny coat is stunning!

Offline 7733lily

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 03:08:19 PM »
Aw, thanks
Bertie reminds me so much of Oliver when he was little  :luv:
I guess you just don't know what they're going to grow into, I certainly didn't expect Oliver to end up so red  :o
One of my others was a very hairy monster (side burns and everything) until he was about 18months old, by which time his puppy coat had fallen out (looked a little moth eaten for a while  :005:) and now has a smooth coat and just hairy legs (only because I don't trim them) oh and a top knot of course  ;)
Personally I would stick with the hand stripping for now if you can and wait to see what his adult coat ends up like
Look forward to pictures of Bertie as he grows

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 04:33:05 PM »
5 mths is much too early to handstrip. Even 6 mths can be. Anything from 6 mths, but can be a lot later & it won't necc all come at once either. When it is ready it will come. Being patient pays off especially with a coat like this. Reds are notorious for lack of coat, so he won't necc grow one like say a black or blue, but you will prob find even when he is ready to strip he won't take as much work either.  ;)
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 10:25:53 PM »
Reds are notorious for lack of coat

that interesting to know, Gemma is almost 4. has a very fine short straight coat (always moulting). she has never stepped paw into a groomers.
(she also is red with blonde ears  ;))
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Hamad

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 05:01:25 AM »
7733lily, I looked up older pictures that you have posted of Oliver and he's gorgeous. I love his face, it reminds me of the first cocker I fell in love with that belonged to one of our neighbours back when I was in school, he was just as stunning and the reason I really wanted a red boy :luv:

6thSense, thanks a lot for the information and good to know this is common amongst reds as I was confused when I looked up pictures of cockers at 6 months and hardly any had a coat this short! I wonder at what age do their coats stop growing? And generally how often would a red with fine hair need to be stripped?

Offline 7733lily

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2014, 10:50:49 AM »
7733lily, I looked up older pictures that you have posted of Oliver and he's gorgeous. I love his face, it reminds me of the first cocker I fell in love with that belonged to one of our neighbours back when I was in school, he was just as stunning and the reason I really wanted a red boy :luv:

Thank you
I have had quite a few people comment in the past how he looks like the "old style spaniel"  :huh:
He's a bit baggy and droopy eyed, but that's what I love about him  :luv:

Offline julie1

• Julie & Kez
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2014, 12:13:11 PM »
Maybe the heat in your country will impede his coat density.
We had friend is Spain who, when they bought there dogs back to England to live, put on a lot more coat.
regards from Julie & Kez

Offline Hamad

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2014, 05:35:14 PM »
Thank you
I have had quite a few people comment in the past how he looks like the "old style spaniel"  :huh:

I really wanted to say that he does have a classic spaniel look! I think it's the larger build with the rich shiny coat, a lot of the reds I've come across in real life have narrower heads and a more delicate appearance in comparison so that's probably it. Is Oliver entire? As a basset hound lover I live for droopiness and thankfully Bertie has some of that too  :lol2:

We had friend is Spain who, when they bought there dogs back to England to live, put on a lot more coat.

That is very interesting, I never considered that! He does stay indoors where it's very cold and air conditioned though, would that still have an affect? Most of his longer walks are around sunset and in the evenings.

Offline julie1

• Julie & Kez
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2014, 10:32:12 AM »

That is very interesting, I never considered that! He does stay indoors where it's very cold and air conditioned though, would that still have an affect? Most of his longer walks are around sunset and in the evenings.
[/quote]

The dog I am thinking of was a mixed Spanish rescue & he did spend a lot of time outdoors, intact he had an outdoor kennel, slept inside at night.
regards from Julie & Kez

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2014, 03:53:48 PM »

6thSense, thanks a lot for the information and good to know this is common amongst reds as I was confused when I looked up pictures of cockers at 6 months and hardly any had a coat this short! I wonder at what age do their coats stop growing? And generally how often would a red with fine hair need to be stripped?

Stop growing? Never !!  :shades: :005: & amount of stripping is very much dependant on the amount grown, but reds generally will need far less than say a black, I have both.   ;)

Offline 7733lily

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2014, 10:25:43 AM »
Thank you

I really wanted to say that he does have a classic spaniel look! I think it's the larger build with the rich shiny coat, a lot of the reds I've come across in real life have narrower heads and a more delicate appearance in comparison so that's probably it. Is Oliver entire? As a basset hound lover I live for droopiness and thankfully Bertie has some of that too  :lol2:

Yes, he is quite a big boy for a spaniel  ;)
I forget to mention that Oliver is entire, yes, so if you plan on having Bertie neutered then this may well affect his coat and make it more corse and fluffy
Haha, I'm not sure droopiness is a spaniel is supposed to be a desired feature, but also as a basset/bloodhound/great dane lover I too prefer the "baggy" look

Offline Hamad

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2014, 05:20:03 PM »
The dog I am thinking of was a mixed Spanish rescue & he did spend a lot of time outdoors, intact he had an outdoor kennel, slept inside at night.

Oh I see! It's getting colder now but when it was warmer I made sure he only went out for a quick toilet visit and increase his indoor play such as fetch games to drain his energy. I plan on getting him a sunscreen spray that I saw at the vet the other day to use during the warmer months but good thing he'll be older by then and won't need to go out as much as he does now (7 times a day).

Stop growing? Never !!  :shades: :005: & amount of stripping is very much dependant on the amount grown, but reds generally will need far less than say a black, I have both.   ;)

LOL I'm sorry I meant at what age should I expect his coat to be fully grown? Cause I've read that at 1 year they're still not done yet. I also read their head shape changes as they mature which made me notice Bertie's a bit pointy at the top and it's visible when he looks down but not if he looks up, it's noticeable in this picture back when he was 4 months old:

It's bone when I touch it but the hair sticks up making it appear more prominent, is this common or is he "special"?  :lol2:

Yes, he is quite a big boy for a spaniel  ;)
I forget to mention that Oliver is entire, yes, so if you plan on having Bertie neutered then this may well affect his coat and make it more corse and fluffy
Haha, I'm not sure droopiness is a spaniel is supposed to be a desired feature, but also as a basset/bloodhound/great dane lover I too prefer the "baggy" look

Everyone I meet keeps telling me that I'll need to have him neutered but I'm not convinced at all, he'll be 7 months in 2 weeks and I have yet to face any problems. Did you have any issues leaving Oliver entire? What about your other cockers? They're so beautiful together by the way :luv: And your pictures are wonderful!

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2014, 06:42:28 PM »
The bone on his head you speak of is perfectly normal. It is called his Occiput bone. ;) His head will change shape as he matures. It may stay as prominent or it may balance out as he fills out and matures, but whatever it is perfectly normal. ;) Dogs mature at different rates in body and coat. Some are much later developers and some a lot earlier.  :blink: