Author Topic: I'm such a bad owner - matting  (Read 4249 times)

Offline loobymiss

I'm such a bad owner - matting
« on: January 23, 2015, 02:50:45 PM »
I have just dropped Amber my 6 mth old cocker spaniel for her first groom.

The groomer examined her before I left and she has knots between her paws, knots on her legs and round her bum!  I feel awful and that I have neglected my dog.

Amber is hard work and grooming her is a struggle as she tries to run away or bite my hand.  I can never get her to stand and if I even touch her tail to lift and look at her back end she goes skittish.

I feel I have let her down and the groomer is probably judging me.  I am now going to have to try really hard to get Amber to co-operate with grooming but I don't know how. 

I just hope the groomer manages where I have failed and I don't get a call saying to come get her as she won't do as she's told. :embarassed:

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
Re: I'm such a bad owner - matting
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 03:33:10 PM »
Treats  :005:

Stand her on a table (somewhere she cant run away) and brush her. Just do a little at a time until she's happy enough to let you do it :)
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 03:44:25 PM »
A grooming table could be your new best friend :D. If Amber is above ground level, on a non slip surface, and preferably at a height that is comfortable for you to groom her, it will be easier for you. It will also help you to get her more used to being handled, which will help when she has to visit the vet or groomer.

Do you have anyone who can help by holding her for you and feeding her some tiny treats while you do a bit of grooming? Even a couple of minutes at a time will help her get used to it and eventually she should become used to it and you should be able to do some grooming without assistance.

What sort of brush do you use? I find a comb with rotating teeth much easier to use than a brush, but that's just my personal preference. The rotating teeth are good at loosening knots when the comb is used gently.

Don't beat yourself up! Cocker coats matt quite quickly, especially in the areas mentioned and in the armpits too. You may find her coat is easier once her puppy coat goes and her adult coat comes in, and at least you now know the likely problem areas :blink:

Offline loobymiss

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2015, 03:47:07 PM »
Any recommendations on what to buy would be great.  I have a slicker brush and a pin headed type brush at the moment and a mars coat king .

Do you think I need a comb rather than a brush to stop the matting, if so what type?

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 03:53:05 PM »
This is the comb I use http://www.groomers-online.com/product.php/1119/karlie-small-rotating-teeth-comb

PS. Moved this to the puppy board as Amber is still a puppy :blink:

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2015, 04:10:41 PM »
Oh but for the miracle that is squeezy cheese in a tube  ;) as recommended on here....

It's the only way I can get Pearl to stay still long enough to brush her!

Don't feel too bad about it - not only have you taken her to the groomers but have asked for help and tips on here  :D Pearl is now almost four years old and last night I had to cut most of her skirt out as it was full of matts/debris/soil and I'm sure wildlife from the shoot the day before - she now looks very odd but at least she is comfortable and doesn't smell as much  :005:

Offline chrisp

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2015, 04:26:47 PM »
Do not feel bad.  I'm always fighting a losing battle with mats in Mollie's fur.  Her fur mats so easily.

Offline lescef

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2015, 04:47:04 PM »
If you can afford a grooming table they are a great idea. I used to do Maddie on a table and would ,end up chasing her round it! You can get arms that attach to the table with a noose hook to hold their head in place and one for the body. With careful introduction and lots of treats, they really help as the dogs learn to keep still.
Cockers are dreadful for matting, but you can find ways to reduce them -false skirts and thinning scissors work wonders but keep the 'cocker look'.
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline aliceandlouis

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2015, 05:24:05 PM »
Don't feel bad - most of us have been caught unawares by the appearance of mats in the usual places, seemingly overnight some times! 

If you don't have the space for a grooming table you can buy some rubber matting (from grooming suppliers) quite cheaply - mine is on the work surface over the washing machine and tumble dryer (I am fortunate to have a utility area) - so if push comes to shove you can just roll up the matting between sessions and tuck it away until the next session.  As puppies my cockers have tried all sorts of evasion tactics, but with perseverance and a 'little and often' approach, they have adjusted to the ritual.  For what its worth, I comb Alice and Louis through three times a week (Mon, Wed and Fri) and give them the weekend off for good behaviour.  I find that this allows me to keep on top of any potential matting and by putting my hands on the dogs I do find lumps, bumps, ticks, scratches and can monitor their bodily condition - although the Monday groom often takes longer because they have had time off - and it does help to keep the tumbleweed of cocker fluff that scuds around the house down to a manageable level  :005:  Like Elaine E I find using a comb with rotating teeth the kindest way to deal with mats.

Good Luck  :D

Offline fionad

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2015, 09:00:30 PM »
I also use a detangling spray. You spray it on and work it into the mats with your fingers and it makes the fur slippery and easier to comb through.

Offline Charliewells

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2015, 09:02:44 PM »
Charlie was a pain when I tried to brush him and like you I was nipped so much to the point of giving up! I did lots of 'leave it' with the brush and sometimes would only manage 5 minutes before I gave up. After sticking at it for what now seems like weeks and weeks he'll now let me brush him if he has a toy to play with!  This works great as his mouth is distracted away from biting me, yes he still gets giddy to start with but I'm hoping that's excitement at being brushed  :005:

Wendy x

Offline loobymiss

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2015, 09:11:58 PM »
Thanks everyone. Well Amber was as good as gold for the groomer and they managed to get the matting out apart from her bum so she is a bit bald there where they shaved it. 

The groomer is going to order me a comb to use to try and keep any further matting down to a minimum (fingers crossed).

She recommended that if I can't afford a grooming table to put her on the kitchen work top and if necessary attach her lead to a kitchen cupboard handle as long as I am careful.  I might have to try that.  She did say that Amber wouldn't tolerate the Mars coat king so I should practice for a few minutes each day.

I never realised that being a cocker owner would be sooo hard!

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2015, 10:01:16 AM »
My girl was just the same, some things that helped where,

Little and often, if it's only 2 minutes of brushing at a time today then tomorrow will be 3 minutes etc
Take your time, if you hold the Combe gently than you will feel the knots and be able to stop before you pull on the skin.
A table helped and it dose not need to be a groomers table, a kitchen table or an old bedside table, as long as it's safe, I used to stand Bea on a old door mat so she did not slip on the kitchen table by the window, she was then distracted by what was going on outside :005:
Treats are another way to distract and reward for being groomed, I even tried smearing peanut butter or cheese spread onto the table it was a bit messy but worked for a while.

Cockers can be hard work to start with, I like to think of it as the price we pay for having such a cute puppy  :luv:

Good luck.

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2015, 02:00:58 PM »
It will get easier and Amber will get used to it the more you do it, thats the really good thing I have found with Riley, he  adapts so quick to new routines and most cockers do.
When he was a pup I used to stand him out on the garden table and smear primula on the window ledge of all places  ph34r the things we have to do.
Then as the weather changed I came indoors and bought a grooming table, also smeared that or peanut butter on the arm of the table. Then it got to not having to put any incentive there as he was fine with it.
Now at nearly 3 he will walk to the table when I tell him and wait to be lifted up to it and actually enjoy most of the grooming as he gets cuddles and occasional treats there too.

Keep doing it, do it every day and she will get used to it. It will be 2nd nature and its you and her bonding time with cuddles and brushes.

Offline ElaineH

• Donator
  • Handsome Morgan 19/06/2008 - 03/03/2024
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2015, 05:39:32 PM »
Morgan is now 6 years old and he still knots so easily, even overnight  >:D

I'm sure you'll be able to keep on top of things now but I'm not keen on putting her on the kitchen worktop. In our house that's one place we want to discourage them from  :shades:

Before I got a grooming table I used to use the ironing board, it tends to wobble just a wee bit and I found that he stayed still to keep it steady  :005:

I have a selection of combs, one with wide spacing to start the grooming, then I use a medium one and finally a finer one with a rubber band wound round it to get the loose hair out.

Don't beat yourself up, been there -done that  ;) 
"Histories are more full of examples of the fidelity of dogs than of friends"  Alexander Pope