Author Topic: Shampoo & Conditioner advice  (Read 2441 times)

Offline aljeana

• Mollie Magpie
Shampoo & Conditioner advice
« on: April 19, 2015, 07:17:57 PM »
I am really struggling with Jodie coat she has not got the best of hair texture one due to being spade but also an ongoing health condition that does effect her general condition. 

Her hair tends to be very fuzzy where it is short along her back her featherings knot so quickly where there is any friction like running, I have tried all kinds of shampoos & conditioners

Groomers Crown Coat,Evening Primrose, Blue Pearl
Bio Groom Protein & Lanolin
Pure Paws H20 Hydrating shampoo & Conditioner along with their mist

I use The Stuff conditioner wash in & spray for grooming with

I dont mind the fuzzy top on her top line its the knots that I cannot seem to keep under control, I clip her belly, inside her legs short its the side feathering & chest that is the issue she can knot within a day when running around.

Jodie is tiny only 8kg so I don't really want to clip her off as there is nothing under the coat due to her health condition but I am hoping that some one maybe using a conditioner or spray that can help me with reducing the knotting of Jodie's featherings

Jodie is not very impressed with me taking these pictures but until a year ago she looked like the picture below so you can see how much her coat has changed

Aljeana & the Baddley Pack

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
Re: Shampoo & Conditioner advice
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 10:15:39 PM »
Gemma has turned into a fuzz ball since being spayed but as her coat is naturally fine luckily she does not knot up.
Jodie is just gorgeous  :luv:
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Cassie01

• Theis 08.04.2012-11.12.2012
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 10:17:14 AM »
Jodie is simply adorable  :luv:

We use MD10 shampoo & conditioner on our girl and love the results it gives.

http://md10shop.eu/md10-conditioner-silky-smooth-300ml-approx-10-litre-diluted-chin-papillon-shih-tzu-yorkshire-terrier-cavalier-english-cocker-spaniel-red-setter-133-p.asp

It's a bit of a pain since you have to dilute it and make up a solution at home but there is no need to rinse once applied and the extra effort pays dividends. I tend to make a litre in a jug and use half directly on to her coat when bathing and keep the other half in a spray bottle for general grooming if required. It also smells delightful.

My girl isn't spayed so coat care won't be a direct comparison but her coat is very thick. We never have any problems with her feathering becoming knotty or matted but do have occasional mats under her armpits, generally caused by a harness or equafleece when used. The MD10 sprayed directly on the effected areas works a treat.

In the event that I don't remain on top of her grooming (when she's with my partner) and I find a stubborn tangle that I can't remove I find a matt splinter works here to assist.

I hope this helps.

Offline julie1

• Julie & Kez
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 01:29:27 PM »
I don't know what condition your doggy has  :shades:  but last year I started to give Kez one capsule per day of Evening Primrose oil, I was/am trying this to help with dry skin & itching, but a side affect I have noticed is she doesn't seem to get so many knots as she used to;  She is also spayed.
regards from Julie & Kez

Offline aljeana

• Mollie Magpie
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 04:19:55 PM »
Thanks guys
Jodie is a bit of a problem child 😘 She has inflamed bowel disorder as a follow on from a serious throat operation that she had at 12 weeks so her digestive system is a nightmare so have to be careful what additives we give her but she does have yumega salmon oil.

She is 5yrs old but her coat has really gone bad this last 12 months I would clip her if there was more of Jodie but she is all skeleton under the fuzz ball & would look awful so would rather try & cope will look at the M10 & give it ago.

I know some people have suggested Pantene human conditioner is good

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 07:23:54 PM »
I use ice on ice conditioning spray for every day grooming, which is very similar to The Stuff. I also use crown royale magic touch as a finishing spray. That also conditions and smells lovely, but does leave more build up in the coat than ice on ice, so I only use it to finish generally. The shampoo I use is also by Crown Royale. It is formula 2 for cockers. You can buy it ready mixed or just dilute it yourself, which works out cheaper and is so easy to do. It isn't cheap and does not smell overly perfumed, but it has a clean smell and has a conditioning agent in it also, so it is like an all in one. I have found using a separate conditioner in the bath also makes my dogs coat texture go fluffy, entire or neutered This seems to work brilliantly. I bath and dry and then use the ice on ice to brush through and the magic touch to finish. Hope that helps.
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx

Offline aljeana

• Mollie Magpie
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 10:01:07 PM »
Thank you

Will pop to the grooming suppliers near me I sure they sell Crown Royale & possibly ice on ice will give it a go

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 09:09:30 AM »
Thank you

Will pop to the grooming suppliers near me I sure they sell Crown Royale & possibly ice on ice will give it a go

No problem. Hope it helps you. :)
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx

Offline aljeana

• Mollie Magpie
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2015, 11:04:24 AM »
Thank you all ordered so once it arrives will give it a go such a shame when their coats just go so bad but I'm sure I can get it back more manageable with the use of the right stuff

Thanks all

Offline Mandy and Teddy

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2015, 04:16:22 PM »
I'm not sure it's at all helpful but we were told at the vets to never use any human product that has a frosted appearance but that clear shampoos like no more tears were ok.

Jodie is a little darling