Author Topic: Your experiences of coat change after neutering.  (Read 2337 times)

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
Your experiences of coat change after neutering.
« on: January 12, 2016, 05:28:20 PM »
Riley was neutered almost 9 months ago, I don't see too much change yet but there a bit of a change.
The front of his front legs have become really fluffy, also he seems to matt easier than ever despite grooming every day and using ice on ice conditioner.

Those who were neutered or spayed, how long did it take before you resorted to clipping?
I know my groomer is fab and she can do a show clip she said but Im trying to manage him now being trimmed as usual every 6-8 weeks or so.

I use the coat king too, but obviously not on the front of his legs.
All his other areas, i.e. ears, front legs etc seem to stay soft and silky, but his skirt seems more brittle.

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
Re: Your experiences of coat change after neutering.
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 08:54:13 PM »
My last cocker, Sophie, was a blue roan and she very quickly turned into a woolly mammoth after she was spayed.  I had to have her clipped all over, which in fairness she loved as she hated having a lot of hair on her.

Ellie is 11 and an orange roan and her coat hardly changed after she was spayed when she was 15 months old.  There is a slight difference but her feathers are still silky and her back, which I use the clippers on, is lovely and shiny.

Maisie is my friend's cocker and I look after her during the week whilst Barbara works.  She is golden and had a keyhole spay a year ago.  Again, her coat has changed slightly but she still has a quite silky and very shiny coat.

Offline moneypenny

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 05:29:14 AM »
Penny was spayed at 4 months and just before her third birthday I conceded defeat. I'd been hoping never to have her clipped, but her coat was so lush I just couldn't keep it from matting.
I adored her long mane and locks but the odd thing is, I think now that she looks really sweet when shorn all over. This is the second time she has been clipped. The first time I got the groomer to keep a lot of her feathering, but penny got quite matted over summer so it all had to come off.

I'll see if I can post some pictures for comparison.
The first is today - she was clipped this morning

The next is the halfway clip

And the last is what she looked like before she was clipped at all

From what I've seen on this forum, it's next to impossible to maintain a heavy coat after spaying. Penny had two operations to remove grass seeds before I finally had her clipped, and our fear that she might get another was a big part of the final decision to have her clipped

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 08:53:21 AM »
Thanks both of you, penny looks adorable and yes she looks fantastic clipped all over too.
We,ll see how we go, I,ll try later getting some comparison photos but it's only been 9 months so could still change a lot.

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 10:18:29 AM »
Just depends...  My liver roan show type Emily, was spayed at 6 months and I never clipped her.  Managed ok with hand stripping, coat king and tidying up/thinning of feathers.  her coat was always far more 'woolly' than my other cocker's and matted more easily, but I don't know whether the spaying caused that or is was related to the colour?  Can't find them at moment, but I did post a picture of her a couple of years back on this same topic.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 10:40:37 AM »
Pre neutering.

Recently, i.e. 8 months after neutering.

Offline Jan D

• Roxy & Bobby
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 05:15:05 PM »
Aww Jane Riley is gorgeous however his coat is - what a little star  :luv:
Roxy b.19.05.10  Bobby b.21.08.11
My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dogs think I am.

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2016, 07:48:11 PM »
Aww Jane Riley is gorgeous however his coat is - what a little star  :luv:

Ahh thank you Jan  :D

Offline Wenco18

• Donator
  • With Lottie and Lola in North Yorkshire
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2016, 09:42:54 PM »
Lola has always been clipped as has Lottie, mainly for my benefit to make life easier.
Since she was spayed her legs have been the woolliest part, her coat and ears have stayed quite smooth.
Xxx
Wendy, Lottie and Lola x

Lottie dob 26/04/09
Lola  dob  10/10/2011

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2016, 08:40:35 AM »
Lola has always been clipped as has Lottie, mainly for my benefit to make life easier.
Since she was spayed her legs have been the woolliest part, her coat and ears have stayed quite smooth.
Xxx

It's same with Lola's brother Wendy, those front legs ! Was looking at a photo from the summer and the difference is amazing.
Both your girls look great.