Author Topic: Can you groom too much?  (Read 1305 times)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Can you groom too much?
« on: January 10, 2016, 03:16:58 PM »
Humphrey's now just over 7 months and has his first appointment at the groomers in mid February.(couldn't get in anytime before then).  I want him hand stripped, so have started with the comb and rubber band method on his back, to try and keep him a bit tidy in the meantime. There's an awful lot of what looks like the underwool coming out but what remains is very dull and feels almost coarse, not the shiny coat I was expecting. Over the last week, I've been combing him every day and I'm just wondering if that's maybe too often or I've started too early? I'd hate to ruin his coat!

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: Can you groom too much?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 03:44:15 PM »
If it's coming out easily with the comb and rubber band you should be OK, because that means it's ready to come out. But I think at 7 months he may still have puppy fluff growing and the adult coat just hasn't started to come through yet, so you're removing dead coat but at the moment it's still being replaced by more puppy coat.

My first Cocker was a gold show type and although it's a long time ago I remember taking him to his first show at 7 months old and he was such a fluffy baby compared to the other Cocker puppies in his class. By the time we did his next show a couple of months later he was beginning to look quite sleek.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 03:50:24 PM »
Thanks Elaine, that's reassuring. I'll keep going then, and, hopefully, will be able to post a picture of my Handsome Humphrey in a couple of months time!  ;)

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 12:48:45 PM »
Agree with Elaine. If the coat is coming out easily that's fine, but at that age it is unlikely to all be ready and he will still have a lot of puppy coat.  I groom my dogs every day, so that won't be too much as long as you're not forcing any of the hair or overdoing it and he's happy. Short sessions are best. Especially initially. It should come out relatively easily whether using finger and thumb or comb with elastic band. If not its not ready to come yet in that area. Grooming him each day is also good practice for him as if he is being handstriped he will need to be used to the process and it will also help the groomer if he used to it. Hope that helps. :)
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 12:56:05 PM »
Yes Sarah, it does. Many thanks!

Offline Markr64

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 01:38:07 PM »
Hello Jayne, Dexter is similar to Humphrey in colour and age. We too have been using a comb and rubber band and each day we do get a fair amount off of him. I am going to give it a couple more months before we strip him as I want to ensure he is ready.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 03:56:07 PM »
Mark, - we're going to have a couple of crackers come the summer!!! ;)
Hope you're fully recovered by the way?

Offline Markr64

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2016, 07:11:55 PM »
A bit better thanks Jayne, yes they will both look amazing. Dexter looks a real scruffy thing at the moment but he loves his pampering and combing.