Author Topic: Ear scent  (Read 1721 times)

Offline James+Carly

Ear scent
« on: June 09, 2016, 10:15:56 PM »
Is there something I can do with puppies ears to smell bit nicer? Oscar is nearly 8 months, he has just had his first full groom ( hand stripped) and he looks wonderful, we need to take him every month for first couple months as the groomer said as he was so hairy, bless him. We take him to run around the woods and the fields on a daily basis so his does come across some smelly stuff which he likes to sniff an try to eat (norty puppy) so I'm guessing this is where his ears brush across all the smelly stuff. Don't get me wrong they don't smell awful, but when I go in for a cuddle it just smells bit damp. Should I wipe/wash them daily or is there anything I can rub in or spray with?

Offline Markr64

• Donator
Re: Ear scent
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2016, 09:19:14 AM »
I would keep brushing them and ensure that there is nothing in the fur. If it is an on going problem then it may be worth having the fur trimmed so it does not keep getting in the nasty stuff.

Offline Theo961

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 09:24:12 AM »
I am not sure if you are describing a problem with the ears, as a dogs ears will smell if they have an infection, however it's normally an unpleasant smell.
I clean the inside of Reese ears regularly and also a light dusting of thornit powder. On the outside I use groom professional  EPO spray when grooming him which leaves a nice light scent but there are many other makes  of coat condition sprays or even doggy perfume around.  :D

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2016, 10:03:03 AM »
I think that sometimes in the warmer months the smell is more likely to be noticed.  I take it the smell is under/just before ear opening.
I have used Thornit powder on both cockers - although I had a cleaner from the vets for my first cocker, next time I asked I was given another type which was hopeless.  Thornit powder is a staple cocker owners product.

Does Reese seem to have any discomfort with his ears, like scratching, rubbing side head on floor, this could be an ear infection.
While I have not used, Virbac do an ear cleanser which is just one on the market.  Must admit I use Virbac products and they are my first choice.

Julie
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2016, 02:20:14 PM »
Gemma has a wiff at the moment , have just to locate source
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline KeresleyKate

• Arvy
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2016, 11:17:32 AM »
Hi Arvys were a bit smelly inside so I cleaned them with epiotic even though they looked ok.  The cotton wool came out filthy. Its alway worth cleaning them especially this time of year when there are grass seeds about. 
Kate

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2016, 12:04:10 PM »
I take it it's the ends of the ears that are being dragged in all the muck and not the inside of the ears as that would be a different thing. What you could do when out is put a snood over the ears. These hold the ears up and out of the way so they don't drag in anything and they also protect against grass seeds in the ear. You could also do a weekly wash with some warm water in a bowl. I then use a leave in conditioner to help brush through the ears. There are also some good doggy perfumes which can help. ;)
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx

Offline PollySpaull

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2016, 01:19:30 PM »
Monty is a bit stinky at the moment!!
I've ordered some Thornits to be delivered but will be giving him a nice bath later on to try and sort it.
We usually have his ears cut fair short at the groomers as he's always getting wet, dragging them around on the yucky floor etc.
After his bath he will have some coconut oil on his ears and a good brush through!