Author Topic: My Cocker loves mud!  (Read 1294 times)

Offline xionone

• Spango
My Cocker loves mud!
« on: June 16, 2016, 05:32:32 PM »
Hi, My 22 week old Cocker Spaniel (Spango) loves mud, ponds, green water... - in fact anything that's wet and smelly!!! Every chance she gets she is rolling in the mud etc. >:(

Obviously this results in a lot of baths/showers for her (every third day or so) - I don't want to use shampoo every wash as that may damage her fur and/or cause skin problems so I have been using just water but that's not so effective at cleaning.
She loves baths/showers, cant wait to get in and even tries to join me when I am in the shower - so at least that makes it a bit easier.

Can anyone recommend a shampoo that can be used 2...3 times per week without causing fur/skin issues - or am I stuck with using plain water and training her not to be so enthusiastic about jumping in (that would be a huge task, its one of her favourite things to do).

Thanks for any advice,

D

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
Re: My Cocker loves mud!
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 05:42:09 PM »
Unless it's something really smelly, Henry gets washed down with the garden hose if he's super muddy. It's strong enough to rinse him clean without the need for shampoo. I have to hold him by the collar and wrestle treats and hose, but it works. If he's moderately muddy and it's not stinky I let it dry on him and brush it off later.

The best solution, though, is the one I've found - a clear running stream that he runs through just before we get back in the car!
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 06:22:31 PM »
If this is your only trial and tribulation with your pup you are doing so well. When Gemma gets a mud monster moment she gets "dunked" in the nearest clean ish water.
 one day before she was due to go to the groomers she found the stinkiest water ever. Because I did not want to bath her, she spent the night in quarantine  :020:
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 07:03:31 PM »
I have another mud monster and as already said, I find a clean(er) pool of water and throw a couple of sticks until the worse is off.  I have some dry clean spray for stains.  Other than that she has to be really stinky before the hosepipe then the bath.

Offline xionone

• Spango
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 04:30:20 PM »
Yep I am unbelievably lucky - Spango is really well behaved for a 23 weeks old - no chewed shoes, furniture etc (knows the difference between toys and 'non' toys) , housetrained herself, learns quickly (but selectively forgets, well she is a CS!). :D

Unfortunately there are no clear streams or ponds near where we go - best is seawater and I'm not too enthusiastic about leaving that to dry on her!

I have just got a camping shower for the back of the car - that works reasonably well at getting worst off - I'll just have to keep plain water washing her.

Thanks for replies.