Author Topic: Irritation after groom  (Read 1533 times)

Offline James+Carly

Irritation after groom
« on: July 10, 2016, 09:14:25 PM »
We get Oscar hand stripped and the lady does a great job ( Oscar is 9months and this is his 3rd time being hand stripped). This is the first time the groomer has clipped the underneath of him, since then he has continuously licked, more than usual his manly bits. Because of this (we think) they have become increasingly sore, well to look at, has anyone else had this? He has never been that into 'cleaning himself' so often, but since the clipping he must clean himself down there ten times more.

I think we should take him to the vets just to check everything is ok, but not sure if this is normal?

Offline lescef

Re: Irritation after groom
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 09:35:50 PM »
I'm not totally sure about this but this is my experience with a girl dog. I find if I clip Maddie underneath her tail and surrounding area she tries to lick herself and scoots dreadfully. She obviously finds it very irritating so now I only cut the area. Maybe Oscar is feeling the same. Maddie does also lick her other bits rather alot (regardless of clipping) and makes them sore. I wipe the area and apply Sudacrem every night which seems to keep it under control. Can you do this to a boy dog? (Never had a male!)
I also try to distract her when she starts licking. Hope that helps. Someone else will have more experience I'm sure.
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline James+Carly

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 11:01:03 PM »
Thank you, it does sound similar. Oscar does clean himself slot but not to the point of making his bits red, they look so sore poor thing. I did wonder if I could put sudacream on, but wasn't sure as he would probably lick that too!

I may leave it a couple days and if it's not better, take him to the vets.

Offline lescef

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 08:41:43 AM »
Thank you, it does sound similar. Oscar does clean himself slot but not to the point of making his bits red, they look so sore poor thing. I did wonder if I could put sudacream on, but wasn't sure as he would probably lick that too!

I may leave it a couple days and if it's not better, take him to the vets.

Maddie does lick it, but it just forms a barrier to help protect the skin. It doesn't seem to have any adverse effects!
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline aljeana

• Mollie Magpie
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 07:40:54 PM »
its a possible as this is the first time he has been clipped that he may have been clipped a bit to close & they can get clipper rash so either asked her not to clipped the area so short or see if she can managed to trim the area with scissors
Aljeana & the Baddley Pack

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2016, 12:02:51 PM »
He shouldn't really have necc actually had his male bits clipped. That's a very sensitive areas as is under the tail. I wouldn't clip these areas. If needed I would scissor around them. ;) If he has just had a strip clipped underneath and it's his first time having this done.  It may just be a bit irritated and he's made it sore licking it. Aloe vera gel is very good.  It's a natural gel that is both healing and cooling & soothing, so this may well help him. Otherwise I would take him to the vet to get it checked. They may be able to give him something that will stop it irritating. I would also either contact your groomer or have a word with her next time you're in as she should be pleased to know incase she can think of anything herself that she can do to help next groom. It may be that once he gets used to it he'll be fine, but I would leave it for a bit so it settles. Hope that helps. :)
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx

Offline James+Carly

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2016, 10:22:53 PM »
Thank you all for your advise, Oscar seems to be doing a lot better now, so I will just mention it to the groomer next time I go  :D