Author Topic: Matt splitter  (Read 1523 times)

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
Matt splitter
« on: September 06, 2016, 05:25:43 PM »
Any recommendations for a matt splitter I can use on Henry's ears? They've never had matts before but now he has some huge ones! On my full-fluff cat I use to use nail scissors to split matts, but Henry is much too wriggly.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
Re: Matt splitter
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 05:43:21 PM »
I got mine in PEts at Home, I'd never used one before. IT wasn't very expensive. Used it for the first time this morning, and wondered why I'd never got one before. I gave him a serious trim this morning, and found some mats that had escaped regular grooming. Dylan has a very prolific coat, very thick and grows like smoke! The splitter took out the mats on his feathering so easily, and also under the arms where the harness knots up the fur. No stress to him, so easy to use. Highly recommend. (So does Dylan  :005: )

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 05:45:26 PM »
I got mine in PEts at Home, I'd never used one before. IT wasn't very expensive. Used it for the first time this morning, and wondered why I'd never got one before. I gave him a serious trim this morning, and found some mats that had escaped regular grooming. Dylan has a very prolific coat, very thick and grows like smoke! The splitter took out the mats on his feathering so easily, and also under the arms where the harness knots up the fur. No stress to him, so easy to use. Highly recommend. (So does Dylan  :005: )

Lesley and Dylan

Sounds ideal. Can I ask what brand it is?

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 09:20:52 PM »
Sorry, I've thrown the packaging away. But it was on their grooming section and this looks like it:

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/matt-splitter-for-small-matts

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 09:38:25 PM »
That's brilliant, thanks so much.

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 11:50:25 AM »
Try Mikki - they make a Matt spitter and a Matt buster which is also very good  ;)

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2016, 11:52:06 AM »
Try Mikki - they make a Matt spitter and a Matt buster which is also very good  ;)

Looks like the one Finvarra linked to was Mikki, thanks. They come up first on Amazon, but I'd much rather trust the wisdom of COLers over Amazon reviews!

Offline Markr64

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2016, 12:55:03 PM »
I am also going to give this a try as Dexter gets matts where he has to have his harness on and he hates me trying to brush around them.