Author Topic: A Bit Of A Smelly Welly  (Read 1000 times)

Offline Lottie

• Site Member
  • Wellington Spanacle
A Bit Of A Smelly Welly
« on: August 05, 2005, 09:48:38 PM »
Welly, our 18month cocker has been with us for 2 months now. We have noticed in that time he can smell a bit doggy. We have 2 retrievers and they don't smell at all doggy.
Welly is trimmed quite short, he has decent food of Science diet mixed with small amounts of meat or a sardine with oil!
It seems to be his general coat that smells rather than his breath or private parts!

Do we have to accept that cockers are a bit smellier than other dogs or is there something we can do? We shampoo him occassionally when he has been in the muddy pond or rolled in fox muck but that is all.

Any advice?

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
A Bit Of A Smelly Welly
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2005, 08:50:30 AM »
I had an old cocker and she started to smell for about the age of 2 yrs. I couldn't distinguish where it was coming from at first, but it was her coat. I had to bath her regularly because of it. Cockers can get a condition, which I believe Bonnie had called seborrhoea. The oily type produces too much oil from the sebaceous glands and gives the coat a greasy appearance resulting in the doggy odour. Anti seborrhoeic shampoos such as selenium sulphide, coal tar etc used frequently can help.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.